Supra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up this hood about a year ago to try out some body work and also replace my hood... which has DIY hood vents. Seeing as the spare hood was from New England, there are some rotted spots. Just a fact of life living up here. After separating the brace from the skin, the rotted spots were cut out and replaced. Pretty soon, the skin will go back on. What is the best way to make sure the skin stays on? I like the adhesive idea... any product recommendations? Trying to avoid tack welding just because of the chances of burn through.

the Rot
Motor vehicle Terrestrial plant Gas Urban design Tree

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Wood Automotive tire

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

And the repair... lots of grinding from booger welds!
Bumper Automotive exterior Electrical wiring Gas Composite material

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Weld repair looks good.

I'd check out 3M's Panel Bonding Adhesive. I'd still recommend you go with some tack welds in the high stress areas (corners or center) just to make sure its rigid but when I was looking into doing some widebody work this was the product I was going to use.

OEM applications use it in pretty heavy duty areas as well.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Yes, these panel adhesives are more than adequate. Today's adhesives have come a long way and OEMs use them routinely in place of welding. My buddy has a new huge diesel pusher RV and the entire front end is assembled, AND held on with panel adhesives. Strong, light, no corrosion, and quick assembly.

·
Registered
89 Supra Turbo M/T
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ended up using normal panel adhesive for the outer edge and NVH adhesive for the inner brace section. The NVH was recommended by a random auto body forum. I need to buy another tube as there's quite a gap in some areas... which was there before. All in, this used about 2.5 - 200ml bottles of 3M adhesives.

Here it is, waiting to dry. Next up, seal sealer, sand, body filler, and somehow painting it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts