Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My side skirts were in pretty bad shape. Split appart cracked etc... Let me know what you think of my "fix it" work. (Still not done, need one more thin layer of skim coat to smooth it all out, but was suprised at how well it came out so far)

Step 1 (sand away paint, filler etc. get to the damage)

Step 2/3 re-form piece & fiberglass

Step 4/5 (sand down fiber glass) thin layer of skim coat & sand down again

Step 6/7 (still to come) smooth out little divetts (skim coat) sand and primer

·
Registered
98 Posts
You still have some uneven spots. Make sure you hit them. Also i hope you prepped the area well. The plastic should be pretty rough, so it adheres better. I would also clean the back side and apply a thin coat of fiberglass. Just my .02

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You still have some uneven spots. Make sure you hit them. Also i hope you prepped the area well. The plastic should be pretty rough, so it adheres better. I would also clean the back side and apply a thin coat of fiberglass. Just my .02
Ya I know there are some uneven spots thats why said not done yet, just was suprised at how well its come back together. The uneven spots are for lack of a better term small beans compaired to what I had to fix, but it will be sanded out. Good idea on doing the back side too (I did put some fiber glass resin on the back, but may add some actual fibers back there too.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Ya I know there are some uneven spots thats why said not done yet, just was suprised at how well its come back together. The uneven spots are for lack of a better term small beans compaired to what I had to fix, but it will be sanded out. Good idea on doing the back side too (I did put some fiber glass resin on the back, but may add some actual fibers back there too.)
Good to hear. Looks like you are on the right track. Just make sure you have the back side real clean before you apply. You will also want to seal it, so condensation doesn't creep. A little rubberized coating would top it off well.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for a novice, it's ok, but you should've grinded the cracks,not sure what grit paper you used ,but it looks like it was way too fine, my .02c

Stefan
Before I actually fiberglassed I made some deep groves on the side skirt with 32 grit. But for sanding down the fiberglass and skim coat I used 80 grit.

·
Registered
274 Posts
if i am fixing cracks fiberglass, i usually grind off all the paint and bondo in the area i plan on wiping fiberglass. this way, it gets to stick to fiberglass. i never could find anyone around me that seemed to know if fiberglass stuck well to the actual bondo, so i did it the way i though was the best. the deep groves looked pretty rough, but the area around them looked sanded, but very smooth. you do run the chance of it letting go of the places it was applied over finer sanding scratches. also, you have two different types of fillers. you have bondo/z-grip/rage/ etc. these are all fillers. you can sand them down with 36 grit to get it straight. actually they sand harder, therefore cutting faster and straighter. then you use a polyester skim coat, easysand/finishing putty, to fill in the sanding scratches and/or pin holes in the filler. the finishing putty has to be kept thin, its not made to build up really. it usually sands smoother and easier that bondo/fillers.

yours doesnt look bad, we just dont know exactly how you did it. so its hard to tell you exactly what we think. but, like stefan says, for a novice, it does look ok

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if i am fixing cracks fiberglass, i usually grind off all the paint and bondo in the area i plan on wiping fiberglass. this way, it gets to stick to fiberglass. i never could find anyone around me that seemed to know if fiberglass stuck well to the actual bondo, so i did it the way i though was the best. the deep groves looked pretty rough, but the area around them looked sanded, but very smooth. you do run the chance of it letting go of the places it was applied over finer sanding scratches. also, you have two different types of fillers. you have bondo/z-grip/rage/ etc. these are all fillers. you can sand them down with 36 grit to get it straight. actually they sand harder, therefore cutting faster and straighter. then you use a polyester skim coat, easysand/finishing putty, to fill in the sanding scratches and/or pin holes in the filler. the finishing putty has to be kept thin, its not made to build up really. it usually sands smoother and easier that bondo/fillers.

yours doesnt look bad, we just dont know exactly how you did it. so its hard to tell you exactly what we think. but, like stefan says, for a novice, it does look ok
Thanks for the info!
So this is exactly what I did step by step.
Sanded down to the blue fiber galss (pulling away all paint and skim coat etc)
Once I was at the fiber glass I sanded into the damaged areas getting rid of any flimsy/damaged pieces of fiber glass
Then on the edges where it was split I took a dremel cut off wheel and cut off the section that looked like a stack of papers (each layer splitting from eachother)
Once it was all back to solid pieces of glass I got some mettal mesh patch material and sanded a grove into the galss where that would go (1/16" maybe)
Molded the mesh 3" past each broken edge then groved the surrounding and under area w/ 36 grit
Then fiberglassed over the mesh and damaged glass to rebond the split pieces back to 1 solid piece
Then sanded down and did a thin layer of skim coat
(as for product Im using everclear/evercoat?? cant remember but ever something lol)
This is as far as I have gotten so far but still have some work to do on it

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
was it fiberglass resin and mat or kittyhair or tiger grip? somthing along those lines?
Fiberglass reinforcment filler, so ya like kittyhair (has strands in it) (should I have used something else??)
- Just looked in the garage to check and its evercoat

·
Registered
274 Posts
thats fine to use. but you also used fiberglass mat? you put a piece of mat down, then covered it with the filler? if so, i wouldnt have used the mat. the only thing that will make it stick to the body kit will be whatever soaks through it from the filler. usually when you use fiberglass mat, you use resin to saturate the mat then that bonds with that you put it on

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thats fine to use. but you also used fiberglass mat? you put a piece of mat down, then covered it with the filler? if so, i wouldnt have used the mat. the only thing that will make it stick to the body kit will be whatever soaks through it from the filler. usually when you use fiberglass mat, you use resin to saturate the mat then that bonds with that you put it on
No i didnt use any fiberglass mat. It was a piece of metal patch kit?? You can kind of see it in the third pic if you blow up the pic (click on it then click on it again when photobucket opens to see Full size) Its metal mesh, can see it kind of right above the jack stand handle.

·
Registered
274 Posts
i probably wouldnt have used it but i cant say that it will be a bad thing. the good thing is, if it were to mess up on you, you learn and do it again, better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I still think you've done a good job for being an amateur. I think you will be happy.

·
Registered
274 Posts
oh dont get me wrong, i am not bashing what you did, i think it looks good. and that is the best way to learn it, just saying what you may or may not have to expect from doing it. i have had guys work for me that went thru UTI, WyoTec, and some other place, and they were horrible. so, you took the time to do it, congrats man

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
oh dont get me wrong, i am not bashing what you did, i think it looks good. and that is the best way to learn it, just saying what you may or may not have to expect from doing it. i have had guys work for me that went thru UTI, WyoTec, and some other place, and they were horrible. so, you took the time to do it, congrats man
Thanks, I never thought you were bashing. Constructive critisism maybe but how would I learn if the people that "know" dont tell me or critique what I did. So I appriciate all the info, it helps for any future reference and I still have some more work to do so the info will be put to good use. Thanks

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
the stuff is called "Everglass" ,I use it and it's great product for quick repairs , so your repair should be fine, and fiber glass is actually one word "fiberglass",

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
the stuff is called "Everglass" ,I use it and it's great product for quick repairs , so your repair should be fine, and fiber glass is actually one word "fiberglass",

1 - 20 of 20 Posts