Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.countknobula.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/supra3.jpg

I want to change the color of my car. Badly. I absolutely hate white (funny that pearl white is apparently a sought after paint job).

The previous owner (idiot) did something to the front end. It looks as if he cut out the grill and if you look at the left of it it's sagged slightly.

I have my mechanic (good friend) searching junkyards but he reckons the chance of us finding that body part are slim. Andys autosport has some body kit replacements which are reasonable in look and (IMO) in price. I know that the body place I'd be going to may be able to fill in the gaps and straighten the bumper out, but that might cost a LOT?

Basically, what do you think I should do? I prefer the stock look, but if going body kit is the only way I may do it.

I desperately want to change the color, I absolutely adore the MK3 supra, but I HATE that color so much that I cant stand to look at it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
there is a good amount of bumpers floating around still at junkyards and on ebay

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
If you're going to change the color, strip the car completely and do it right, engine bay, door jambs, trunk jambs, etc.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'll give you my bumper if you buy me a boomex. :) and mine is already midnight blue.

But like he said, strip it down and do it right. Its worth it later

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
I just like that he used "reckons" in a sentence. But honestly, if you can get a factory fresh bumper from Toyota for $250, you cannot beat that. OEM quality for a body panel is great for that price.

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
Filling in the gaps won't be that expensive. You can even do it yourself with some effort.

You can also easily make a bar to fit in the lower lip so it doesn't sag.

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
...I have my mechanic (good friend) searching junkyards but he reckons the chance of us finding that body part are slim....
not trying to diss your good friend, but he must not be looking very hard..

I just did a quick search on car-part.com (a junkyard database) and found over 20 1989 Supra front bumpers for sale.

·
Banned
5,941 Posts
Hey Count, if you have time, get rid of that damned pinstripe also. I had one on my car and I hated it.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
white is nice, it's more durable than most of the other colors, and it doesn't immediately look dirty...

I own a red supra, and the paint is failing fast and it looks dirty the day after I wash it...

if you want another color, IMHO it would be easier to just buy another color supra...

and I LIKE my pinstripe, it's laid out in a spot I like and doesn't look bad...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Count, if you have time, get rid of that damned pinstripe also. I had one on my car and I hated it.
Hell yes.

and car-part.com is giving me some interesting results (thanks for that). Closest to me is over 200 miles though. I'll keep looking. As for repairing it myself, keithh could you explain a little more?

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
Filling in the holes created from removing the grill is fairly easy - as long as you are patient and can follow simple instructions.

Check out www.urethanesupply.com and find some FiberFlex and some Flex Filler (get the kit that includes the fiberflex and an iron). Fill in the holes by melting in the fiberflex, sand a little lower than the rest of the surface to give room for the flex filler. Fill in with flex filler and sand smooth. Then paint.

As far as reinforcing the lip. I have a chunk of wood in there cut down to size and sealed. This provides enough reinforcement to keep the lip from sagging.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts