Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I need some options on body shop work as I do not know much about body repair. Long story short, I took my supra to a local body shop that was referred by my friends as doing good quality repair.

I got a quote to repair all body dents, dings, etc and re-spray entire car (outside) same color for $3k.

The owner gave me this quote which I guess is suppose to be a killer deal, well his son who does the body work and later found it his dad gave me this deal got pissed off, because it was too low, and really didn't want to complete the job. After talking to son about the work, he finally started the job. Now 2 months later, it sits in the shop with all body work repair, and primed. Things are moving along and work is being completed.

Do you guys think this is quality work? I noticed that he didn't prime the upper part of the front and rear windshields, do you know why that might be?

In the beginning, the son told me that he was not going to remove all the windows to paint the car, but would pull the weather strip to paint, which was fine with me, but i noticed the weather strip wasn't pulled for priming.

Should I just walk away from the deal and go to another body shop?

Thanks.

·
Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
4,584 Posts
A deal is a deal, stick to your guns. Just because he is unhappy does not mean he can change his mind. Does the Dad own the business? Father and son both own the business or did the dad just help out that day? Either way the shop is responsible for doing the job the way it was discussed at the start.
Now if you feel that the body shop is not going to do a proper job I would take the car back and find another shop to finish the paint and NOT pay the current one a dime! Either they do it right or find someone else, none of this cry me a river the price is too low, business is business,

·
Registered
417 Posts
Find a different one, when I have mine worked on they remove half the car to fix problems in dents etc, and do it right, I got quoted $3500 to repaint mine as well but my body shop won't touch it until all the glass is removed along with all the weatherstripping as well as removal of the motor for the engine bay. That's how I know I found a quality shop if they won't even touch it until that's done you know you got a good shop.

But in your case it seems as though the son is more worried about cutting cost and making money on a project as compared to doing quality work. If he paints it with the stripping on there expect flaking around the edges in a few years. Rust builds up around the seals and if the paint is stopped right next to a area like that you don't have a true proper adhesive ability going on. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A deal is a deal, stick to your guns. Just because he is unhappy does not mean he can change his mind. Does the Dad own the business? Father and son both own the business or did the dad just help out that day? Either way the shop is responsible for doing the job the way it was discussed at the start.
Now if you feel that the body shop is not going to do a proper job I would take the car back and find another shop to finish the paint and NOT pay the current one a dime! Either they do it right or find someone else, none of this cry me a river the price is too low, business is business,
The dad is the owner, but the son will soon take over. Dad is very old, and will be retiring soon.
Thanks for all the feedback guys, i will call him today.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
In my opinion, other than the lack of removing moldings.. the work looks well done... even guide coated his primer.... I dont think you have any reason to complain until you see the finished product.

3K is a good deal IMO. Thats alot of body work to be done, PLUS a full respray.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
In my opinion, other than the lack of removing moldings.. the work looks well done... even guide coated his primer.... I dont think you have any reason to complain until you see the finished product.

3K is a good deal IMO. Thats alot of body work to be done, PLUS a full respray.
This is true.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
I wonder if he straightened out the lower portion of the quarter or just slapped bunch of bondo to fill that dent.

Usually you get what you paid for and $3k sounds way underpriced for the work it needs to get it to look right.

I would ask and/or pay for cutting all glass out and removing all trim and third brake light before paint.This is where true quality shows.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder if he straightened out the lower portion of the quarter or just slapped bunch of bondo to fill that dent.

Usually you get what you paid for and $3k sounds way underpriced for the work it needs to get it to look right.

I would ask and/or pay for cutting all glass out and removing all trim and third brake light before paint.This is where true quality shows.
It was straighten out, if you look at the pictures above, you can see the pull wells.

I talked to the son today, and he said that he's going to remove all the molding for the front & rear windshields, I didn't want to be a dick and ask for the 3rd brake light to be removed since he already taped it.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
It was straighten out, if you look at the pictures above, you can see the pull wells.

I talked to the son today, and he said that he's going to remove all the molding for the front & rear windshields, I didn't want to be a dick and ask for the 3rd brake light to be removed since he already taped it.
Be a dick and have him remove it. Seriously.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
I'm not blind, AFAIK I've been doing body/paint for over 2 decades. The dent I was speaking of is below the area he pulled with studs.BTW, did he weld that big rip on the edge before slapping bondo?

The brake light takes only few minutes to remove,if he can't, why don't you take the time and remove it yourself,you can also call a glass company to come out and cut all the glass out,may cost around $200,but it's worth every penny,unless you don't care about quality and just want a half-assed job

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not blind, AFAIK I've been doing body/paint for over 2 decades. The dent I was speaking of is below the area he pulled with studs.BTW, did he weld that big rip on the edge before slapping bondo?
Yup, he said he did, but I wasn't there to verify.

The brake light takes only few minutes to remove,if he can't, why don't you take the time and remove it yourself,you can also call a glass company to come out and cut all the glass out,may cost around $200,but it's worth every penny,unless you don't care about quality and just want a half-assed job
Ya, I will going there tomorrow to remove that brake light if he hasn't started painting the car yet.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
7/15/2011 Update.
- 3rd Break tail lights removed
- Front & rear windshield moldings cut & removed.
Cut because I will need to replace my front windshield anyways and will replace rears while my window guy is there.

Tomorrow is going to paint booth, the guy told me he plans on putting 3 coats of clear (DuPont).

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
doesn't look bad.

just remember, it's not the amount of coats he puts on, its how thick and how well he lays it down.

you can put 3 coats of clear. and have it need to be sanded significantly because they were thin. or you can have someone who knows how to lay it down real well get it just as thick as the 3 coats, and need far less sanding to make it look perfect.

·
Boost Junkie
12,800 Posts
They HAVE to take the glass and seals off, end of story. If not you'll have problems later on down the road.

STeve

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guys, the supra should be finished this week, what things should I look for when completed to know its a good job or not?

Over spray?
Paint on moldings?
Bumps in Paint?
Mirror finish?
Run my hands across body to see how smooth it is?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
You will be able to see if the finish is flat or not just by looking at the reflections in the clear.

What you want to look for is overspray, and peeling on the edges where things were masked, such as window seals etc. Also check door jambs for primer overspray.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
All glass should be pulled, including quarter glass before painting.. period! The fenders, doors, hatch, hood should be removed, painted separately, then re-assembled. That's the only way my buddy who owns a shop will do it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts