Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to gauge interest in a bolt on to the stock manifold, use the stock DP, Ball bearing 700 crank HP turbo for the MKIII. I would need to extensively modify the turbine housings to accommodate the shape of the new GT wheels. In order to do so I would like to do maybe 10 at a time. This turbo would be water cooled and spool faster than any upgrade available now for the MKIII. Price however would be maybe $1700. BB turbos are a bit pricey.

Any interest?

Larry
SP

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I know that I would be interested somewhere down the line. But I really doubt that any money will ever surface for this. The guys who do not complain about money probably already have big turbos.

·
2,279 Posts
Does it have to be ball bearing? I was fixin to pick up the SP61GT, but if you're going to do a SP70 version I'll wait for that.

I know that I would be interested somewhere down the line. But I really doubt that any money will ever surface for this.
You're probably one of the folks that said money would never surface for a MK3 AEM. Too bad they sold out their initial supplies as soon as you could order them. There are plenty of MK3 guys with money.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Will the stock manifold support that much horsepower? That's a good price considering Greddy's bolt on upgrade will do about 450 rwhp at high boost levels and costs around 1800.00.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Sounds super. That's a nice price on the BB. Is that inclusive of lines/fittings? I'm still nervous about 700 thru the stock manifold.

Concerning money, there's a market for this. Don't assume that the demographic of SF represents the whole MA70 community.

·
2,279 Posts
Concerning money, there's a market for this. Don't assume that the demographic of SF represents the whole MA70 community.
:werd:

I know plenty of people that drop tons of cash on their MK3s yet rarely post here. Maybe it's because they don't like talking with the "spring cutters" here? haha. But yeah, there is most definetly a market out there.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Man.. if I wasn't knee deep in trying to do a t4 setup, I would maybe be interested. Unless anyone wants to buy my T72.

I don't doubt the stock manifold could potentially support that power level. I take it the turbo will use an internal wastegate? Will there be issues with an internal wastegate and power levels that high?

·
2,279 Posts
I don't doubt the stock manifold could potentially support that power level. I take it the turbo will use an internal wastegate? Will there be issues with an internal wastegate and power levels that high?
There shouldn't be. The HKS wastegate that they are using supports more at the wheels than a 7M has ever made at the crank.

·
Registered
6,907 Posts
80sSupraPowa said:
From what I've read on their sp61 mk3 kit, they completely redo the turbonetics hot-side including the internal wastegate. So I would assume this kit's wastegate would have no issues as well

·
what will the future hold
916 Posts
Stock manifold should be good for high 500 range. Maybe even 600 if pushed. Great idea Larry. By the way complete my kit and sale me a good turbo from SP. ;)

3,796 Posts
lenny...your car is beautiful. And the turbo kit sounds like a good deal. Slap it on an MKIII and see what it'll do!!

·
Premium Member
11,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MKIIIpowered said:
Stock manifold should be good for high 500 range. Maybe even 600 if pushed. Great idea Larry. By the way complete my kit and sale me a good turbo from SP. ;)

Just give me the HP goals you have Will!! I have about 25 turbos to choose from.

Larry

·
AEM SP63
1,459 Posts
Umm sounds interesting. Guys just remember to extrude hone your exhaust manifolds to flow the HP. Although, 700 on the stock manifold, isn't that scary? Well, anyways any high HP bolt on turbo would do fine. Just because it's rated at 700 doesn't mean you have to push it at 700.

·
IFLYLO
301 Posts
man...this is good news. i'm just starting to collect parts for a T4 setup. i don't have to get a new manifold anymore. i wonder if the stock manifold will be the limiting factor here? at any rate, when will production get under way?

·
Registered
47 Posts
A similar turbo already exists. I stumbled upon it on an MR2 board. Extremeboost has what they call the CT26/35R turbo. Here's the response form eXtremeBoost to my query...

--BEGIN--
Nick, this turbo utilizes a totally custom cast turbine and compressor
housing. It will bolt directly upto the stock CT26 location in your supra
and we do not require a core. The turbo utilizes a Garrett dual ball
bearing GT center section which is rated to flow 60lb/min. its the GT35.40
incase you wondered ...
--END--

Their pricing is right around what Larry mentioned for his ballpark. FWIW: I haven't done the research to see what kind of power would be supported by the GT35.40 on a 7M, all the existing info on the turbo is with respect to the 3S-GTE.

-Nick

1 - 20 of 51 Posts