Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're having a little debate on Facebook, the actual power the supra makes at the rear wheels without any mods. I'm sure this has been discussed before at length but these guys are trying to tell me that they dyno'd their completely stock supras and one 6 speed made 326rwhp and another auto supra with exhaust and intake at 11psi made 356rwhp. I find it very hard to believe unless these guys were lucky and purchased the only 400hp stock supras that Toyota ever made. I just want the OG supra guys that know what they're talking about to chime in. I've been out of the supra loop for a couple of years and maybe, the rest of us just had duds.

R.K.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
What I recall being confirmed by multiple dynos on stock Supras is that the 6 speeds made about as much to the wheels as the factory 326 BHP rating; given the 6 speed's approximately 16% driveline losses, that amounts to ~388 crank hp. I can also see a free flowing exhaust adding ~30hp. But doing that in an automatic muddies the puddles inside my head since I'm just not familiar with auto trans "losses" and effects on dyno numbers.

·
Wheel Fitment Guru
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So we can say that 1% of all supra's will dyno more than 300rwhp and even less will dyno at 320rwhp? That would mean that either the dyno was reading really high or the rest of us bought duds that were built on a Monday after a long weekend. Also, the quarter mile times of the supra's definitely don't reflect the power that is supposedly makes. Something is not correct here.

R.K.

·
Hardtopper
2,479 Posts
From what I've seen, a stock healthy 6sp will dyno 290-320WHP depending on dyno type and conditions. I've seen a bone stock 6sp trap 108MPH which is easily 300-320WHP.

·
Garage Queen Club
2,822 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,496 Posts
Rad,

I think those guys on FB are smoking something and drinking race fuel if those numbers are supposed to be accurate. I've seen a LOT of bone stock supras dynoed back in the day and, as I recounted in that linked thread, 305 whp is the highest number I have personally observed. Also, by bone stock, I mean factory boost on 91-octane, no playing with the wastegate, advancing timing through the use of higher octane fuel or that sort of thing. To others, it may mean something different. Never seen a bone stock auto dyno over 300 whp, btw.

Ken.

·
Boost Junkie
12,614 Posts
My friends recently made 296whp. 6-speed car. Completely stock. It's pretty healthy.

Steve K.

·
Registered
131 Posts
And if we're talking back in the day in CA, it would've been 92 octane :( ...... :)

·
Super Moderator
10,496 Posts
And if we're talking back in the day in CA, it would've been 92 octane :( ...... :)
This is true. Thanks for the reminder....I think :). I won the first dyno contest at the inaugural SILV event (1997) with 405 whp and 92-octane in the tank (Saad was second with 403 whp). Damn, I'm old!

Ken.

·
Boost Junkie
12,614 Posts
This is true. Thanks for the reminder....I think :). I won the first dyno contest at the inaugural SILV event (1997) with 405 whp and 92-octane in the tank (Saad was second with 403 whp). Damn, I'm old!

Ken.
I think I still have the magazine coverage from that or one of the later 90s events. Pretty cool.

Steve

·
keep livin man, L I V I N
816 Posts
Also, by bone stock, I mean factory boost on 91-octane, no playing with the wastegate

Ken.
Ah yes...the infamous hose mod! That thing came in handy my street racing days ;) that trick fooled a many people "back in the day"....

We're getting old...uggh

·
Registered
215 Posts
IMG_0708 by mike li, on Flickr
IMG_0711 by mike li, on Flickr

Here's mine, just dyno'd it a few days ago, CA 91 piss fuel.
It's basically bone stock, the only mod is the HKS 3-row FMIC that came with the car. I don't think it has any positive effect on power.
everything else are stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts