Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start off, I have an 88 turbo m/t at 10?psi (no boost gauge, but was told thats what it was set at with an mbc) 3" dp and 2.5" straight pipes the rest of the way back, 4.30 lsd, "custom intercooler pipes", small hks front mount, just minor shit. I know that boost leaks are a fairly common problem, but after searching I found few, not very helpful answers. I think that I might have many leaks.

So today just for fun I raced my brother (Ford Focus ZX3) and he beat me (does anyone want to hurt me so badly right now?). Wouldnt you think that something is EXTREMELY wrong for something like this to happen????? I know that is the most awful loss I've ever taken......in life....Keep in mind that I've only been driving manual for 2 weeks though. I'm not horrible at it or anything, but def not that experienced.

So back to the leak issue. I couldnt really tell you if my car "isnt boosting as much or hard as it should" or "isnt performing in general as much as it should" because I dont really know what the standard is. I dont really have much to compare it to in order to find out what my problems are.

The car doesnt look like it was taken that good of care (ic pipes are EXTREMELY HOMEMADE and dont really look reliable. the car currently doesnt have an air filter on it (thats the way it came), and bare wires (CPS, electric fan) are hangin all over in the engine compartment.

So what I'm getting to is, what are the most common areas that will cause boost leaks and how can I test them. i saw a couple posts about testers, but didnt really get enough info on how to make/use one. how do i know if my car is peforming at the level it should be? sorry this is so long, if anyone has ANY ideas, let me know. thanks all

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
First of all, I think you need to electrical wire those bare wires. It may cause your car to run like crap and destroy your engine.

Second, install a mechanical autometer boost gauge. They're cheap and very easy to install; somewhat accurate; that way you have some idea of how much your boosting. If the boost doesn't hold, it's leaking.

Third, make sure your engine is running right; check the timing and give it a tune up if you haven't already.

Most importantly, learn to launch! I can tell you that if you don't know how to launch your supra, you will lose to 80% of the time (unless you are making an enormous amount of power). Wheel spin = bad. You'll most likely have to slip the clutch or dump the clutch at 1,500 rpms; any higher and you will just spin the tires. 4.30 differential isn't that great for drag, IMO.

You also want to redline in all gears if traction permits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts