Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am thinking about buying boost controler, now I have bleeder T mode.

Is there a sense to buy it - I am not sure - please advice.

If that is good idea, please tell me which boost controler should I buy and why? Now I will stay with bpu+ but if my turbo goes bad, I will buy big single for sure:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
i have the blitz dsbc and love it ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Blitz makes great boost controllers. I have an SBC I-D and I love it.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
carl mabe you can make a post on how to use it as some people state they have problems setting it i think this would help alot of people out!
Carl Stephens said:
Blitz makes great boost controllers. I have an SBC I-D and I love it.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
burnmacs,

Why should I want to adjust boost from cabin? Any advantage to it? Why not "set it and forget it"?

Carl,

I second RanGer498's request. How's the user manual that comes with it? Is it like VERY clear, even for novices, or do you need to be a pro to handle it?

Jay :cool:

C

·
0 Posts
supra_10 said:

Carl,

I second RanGer498's request. How's the user manual that comes with it? Is it like VERY clear, even for novices, or do you need to be a pro to handle it?

Jay :cool:
Well, a friend imported the kit for me. The only instructions that I was able to find were in Japanese. It was very easy to program without the instructions though. The layout is very straightforward; there are different folders with different settings in them. You basically scroll down to the attribute you want to change, click on it, set it to what you want then go back to the main menu.
When it's paired with the power meter it doesn't get too much more complicated. There is just another setting that allows you to run any of the 4 different boost settings at different speeds in 12.5 mph increments. It really is very simple if you look at it and scroll through the different sub folders.

Here's the SBC I-D instruction manual in English. Hopefully it explains how to use it better than I can:

http://www.z32.org/instructions/sbcid.xls

Here is the Powermeter instruction manual:

http://www.z32.org/instructions/Power Meter.xls

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not need to be able to control boost from in the cabin. I need to get maximum boost, is there any difference between T bleeder mode and boost controlers? Or maybe boost controlers are just for easy use and that's it? You can set 3 different boost levels, etc. I just want to have one level - max level:D I have right pedal to control acceleration...;)

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could anyone answer my last question please?

·
Registered
124 Posts
You definitly have my attitude about set it at the max and use your right foot to control accleration. The advantage of the MBC over the bleeder T is that the bleeder T is very prone to boost creep and that is bad, whereas the MBC will consistently hold boost at the max you set it to and not creep. Also you are able to fine tune the boost level with the MBC. Well worth the investment considering it is less that $50 to prevent boost creep and be able to fine tune control. Also please for the love of you car do not boost over 18psi on pump fuel.

I personally use, as do other Supras I know, the Joe P. MBC at www.boostcontroller.com The unit is top notch and the price is good to. Go for the one with the hoses as they are good length for our cars.

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've heard it's good but have never used it. I like the Joe P. because it has a second ball so if the unit malfunctions and the ball falls out inside the unit the 2nd ball falls into its place to prevent overboost until you replace it. Granted I've never heard of this unit doing this but it's a nice safety feature.

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is the maximum boost you can make using mbc?

I

·
0 Posts
you know i have only had a greddy profec A, from my experience, i really love it, it is real easy to use, and it also has a little electronic boost gauge built in

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What would hepend if I clamp the hose on which I have T mode? Instead of air go to atmosfere it would stay in the air system but would not make enough pressure to close turbos. Right? Is it the system how MBC works? If yes than I will make my own one for 1$:)

·
Registered
124 Posts
The MBC behaves as if your wastegate hose was pulled until the set pressure is reached and then allows air to pass opening the wastegate. If you make your own that way it (and free boost mods on MKIV.com) will not have the ability to control boost like a MBC that can be fine tuned. You will also be subject to boost creep with these free mods.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Peter, a ball and spring style MBC (the only MBCs worth anything) works by applying boost pressure to the ball, which presses against the spring. When boost reaches the desired level, the spring compesses and allows boost to reach the wastegate, lowering the boost. If you simply cap off that hose, you will get maximum boost all the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts