Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i backed out my car out of my garage to wash the car and noticed a clicking noise coming from my engine bay. I popped the hood and was able to find the noise coming from the solenoid of the apexi avc-r. i went back into my car and looked at the control unit. on the display it reads 2.78 BARS of BOOST in idle!!!!! the rpm readings on it also is not correct (i idle at 1000rpm and avcr is reading 128rpm). Okay... so i took my car around my neighborhood for a spin and the damn thing wont let me boost past .5 bars (i was able to read teh boost from my HKS gauges). Do you guys have any idea what is wrong with my boost controller?

Would it be a possible loose connection somewhere??? and if it is a loose connection, why is it making that clicking noise?

And the most feared outcome, if it is broken, WHAT KIND OF BOOST CONTROLLER SHOULD I BUY? I was thinking of getting the HKS EVC IV, Blitz Dual-SBC or the Blitz SBC-iD. Please help me out guys. I need as much information as i can get tonight. Cause if it is broken, i will be ordering the new boost controller asap tomorrow morning thru my distributor.

THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE. WISH ME LUCK

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Blitz Dual-SBC or the Blitz SBC-iD ill give you 50 bucks for your busted unit as long as you send all the items and its not damaged in any way !!

Elude said:
AVC-R = sucks. See my posts under tech on avcr and my top speed picture here.

Have you reset it?

ETC ... initialize.. yes... turn off igition, restart, are all your settings right? Check them with mkiv.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay...is the SBC i-D a dual solenoid system? or is it a single solenoid? i know the s starts for sequential in SBC but it doesnt say how many solenoids the system runs on.

Also, i was able to reset the AVC-R. it doesnt read a crazy amount like 2.78...but now it reads -.760 and it doesnt move. by cleaning the solenoid...will it do anything. and also, is there anything i should stay away from using when cleaning the solenoid?

O

·
0 Posts
I cant help you with your problem, but I do know a dude from tt.net that was having one hell of a run around trying to get apexi to replace his solenoid that broke before he even used it. They are VERY stingy when it comes to replacement parts....:rolleyes:

C

·
0 Posts
I have the EVC-EZ and love it. Everyone reccomended either that or an MBC to me.

I was going to get the AVC-R, however, everyone said it was junk and difficult to tune. One of the problems, they cited, was the solonoid.

Check out the EVC-EZ, its great.

B

·
0 Posts
I can help you with your solenoid.

SagaSupra

Did your pressure sensor get wet in any way? If it did then it is giving off bogus readings and causing your solenoid to click because it thinks it's doing it's job by controlling boost. This same problem happened to me before. Before you change boost controllers or order parts, do this first. Remove the pressure sensor from the car and disassemble it. It only needs a very small amount of moisture to mess the readings up. Don't forget to remove the inner chip board inside. Should be 2 screws on top and two on the inner board. Make sure it's completely dry inside and I think you'll be ok. BTW, don't listen to everyone who says the AVCR is junk. It just needs more patience to tune and mine hols boost just fine.

Scott H.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
scott - sup buddy. hey, i was able to get the boost readings to work now. i believe that is exactly what happenned. probably some water made its way into it. well, i got the readings for boost to work, but it still wont read off the correct RPM for me. What should i do to correct this problem? and also, i have to calibrate and tune the avcr all over because i restarted the whole system (initialized all). so can you give me some tips on how to go about setting up the AVC-R again? thanks alot man. i hope everything works out well.
-mike

·
Registered
147 Posts
i used the write up on www.mkiv.com to tun my avcr. My rpm readings were off as well and i found out that one of the connections were lose at the ecu (where i spliced into the ecu). that might be the cause of your rpm problem as well, so check it out. hope this helps alittle

wezz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts