Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
A Dog who can Computer
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hit the dyno today to do some final tuning before Texas, and we're running out of room on my boost controller. I have a Blitz sbc-id electronic boost controller. I love this thing and have had it in my last few cars. With this controller, when running high boost settings (above 20psi), you set it based on a percentage of 100% of max boost (edit: max is 2.5bar, or 36.75psi). We're at 95% now, and only at 26spi, and of course want more. My question is, what boost controller (for those not controlling boost via AEM or MoTec) are the guys running 30+psi using? I had always heard the Blitz controller is a solid unit, but if its limit is only 30psi, I'm going to need a different one.

Thanks

·
Turbocharger Engineer
751 Posts
hit the dyno today to do some final tuning before Texas, and we're running out of room on my boost controller. I have a Blitz sbc-id electronic boost controller. I love this thing and have had it in my last few cars. With this controller, when running high boost settings (above 20psi), you set it based on a percentage of 100% of max boost (2bar, or 30psi, for this controller). We're at 95% now, at 26psi, and of course want more. My question is, what boost controller (for those not controlling boost via AEM or MoTec) are the guys running 30+psi using? I had always heard the Blitz controller is a solid unit, but if its limit is only 30psi, I'm going to need a different one.

Thanks
We run the turbosmart E-boost 2. It will handle 40psi, 60psi and 120psi. Simple controller for the amount of boost it can handle.

·
Premier Tuner
404 Posts
Depending on which sbc-id you have, the ones I have seen hold upto 35.5 PSI.

Sounds like you need a stronger WG spring.

·
A Dog who can Computer
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Depending on which sbc-id you have, the ones I have seen hold upto 35.5 PSI.

Sounds like you need a stronger WG spring.
It's not the newest one, the sbc-id III, but the one before it. It's the same size as the new one, and same setup as to the one you sell in your kit. I do need a stiffer spring, but how would the waste-gate spring affect the percentage of boost I run, i.e. 95% on a 12lb spring should equal the same psi at 95% with a 16lb spring shouldn't it?

here is the exact controller I have:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/blitzsbcid.html

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
It's not the newest one, the sbc-id III, but the one before it. It's the same size as the new one, and same setup as to the one you sell in your kit. I do need a stiffer spring, but how would the waste-gate spring affect the percentage of boost I run, i.e. 95% on a 12lb spring should equal the same psi at 95% with a 16lb spring shouldn't it?

here is the exact controller I have:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/blitzsbcid.html
no. Because the difference is the boost controller for the 12 lb spring starts controlling boost at that pressure, until usually 2 times the spring pressure. The same goes for the 16lb spring. So you have a higher range to control boost if you have a stronger spring in the WG.

·
Boost Creep
3,489 Posts
I'm using the HKS EVC6 @28PSI with no issues.

·
Registered
359 Posts
no. Because the difference is the boost controller for the 12 lb spring starts controlling boost at that pressure, until usually 2 times the spring pressure. The same goes for the 16lb spring. So you have a higher range to control boost if you have a stronger spring in the WG.
^^ Word

·
A Dog who can Computer
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay, I understand this now. It wasn't clear to me yesterday, but my tuner explained this to me when we were finishing up tuning today. He's going to order a stiffer spring for me which is a lot cheaper than ordering an AMS-1000! haha

·
Premier Tuner
404 Posts
Typically you can only get twice the spring pressure with your typical boost controller, i.e. 14PSi spring with a duty of 95% should give you 14*1.95 = 27.3psi. (it does not always work this way though) At 100% duty you will get 28psi which will be your theoritical max pressure with the 14psi spring.

Using a 20PSi spring to start with you will be able to reach 40PSI at 100% duty of the BC solenoid. The only downside is that you will not be able to control it less than 20PSI.

The Sbc-id iii you have does control flawlessly to 35.5 psi. been there done that ;)

·
A Dog who can Computer
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^that is good to know. We'll be ordering a stiff spring. I must have a 14 or 16lb spring in there as 93% netted 26-28psi.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts