Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to buy a Boost Controller but i dont no if i need anything else. i have a full exhaust and i want to turn my boost up to 11 or 12. so i need to buy anything else besides the Boost Controller?

and just out to ceriosity, is there a psi gauge that will fit in the stock boost gauge spot? i want a digital one

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Digital boost gauges are cool, but are not really needed. Plus they are also super expensive compared to the mechanical gauges and work just about the same.

As for running 12 psi on the stock engine, it should be fine. I ran 15 psi on the stock engine with a 3 in catback and intake and it's been fine for the past week (87 octane and it detonates every once in a while.. haha, not as much as I expected though). I have since then turned it down to 10 psi.

Keep in mind I do have a brand new hg and arp studs on it though. I wouldn't attempt it on an old hg because it'll blow in my opinion.

· Sawblades Rock!!!
206 Posts
In my opinion, if you want a boost controller, go for an electronic one. They can stabalize your boost pressure, and you can controll it from inside the cab. The one I used was a GReddy profec Type-S. And installation was a piece of cake. And it controlls boost up to 43.5psi! Also, you wont need anything else if you only want to run 11/12 psi. Just make sure to buy premuim fuel!

· Sawblades Rock!!!
206 Posts
Yea, they work basically the same, exept you cant controll your boost pressure from inside the cab. They are about $150 cheaper. I just recommend buying an electronic one, just incase sometime in the future you want to upgrade to a bigger turbo and more fuel.

· Always playing catch up
2,058 Posts
yes a MBC works fine, just remembe the shorter the lines going to the wastegate the less of a spike you will have

dr. jones makes them for like 20 bucks iirc, i have a turbo xs cause i like how easy it is to change boost and ease of mouting

<l><l>

· Registered
715 Posts
LordLo said:
I ran 15 psi on the stock engine with a 3 in catback and intake and it's been fine for the past week (87 octane and it detonates every once in a while.. haha, not as much as I expected though). I have since then turned it down to 10 psi.
wow i feel bad for your supra

· Sawblades Rock!!!
206 Posts
Caplax40 said:
Do Boost Controller's cap the amount of boost that is sent to the engine and prevent spiking? So, if I get everything setup correctly and set it to 12 psi, will I only boost to 12psi and not any higher?

Thats the basic idea. Exept the BC controlls the wastegate, and keeps it closed untill the desired boost level is reached.

· Sawblades Rock!!!
206 Posts
Caplax40 said:
So would this help eliminate fuel cut? Keep the boost below the level where it hits the cut?
From what I understand, you can hit fuel-cut at different psi depending on the weather. If the air is cold and dry, you might be able to get more than 12psi out of it. But if it's warm and moist, expect it to cut at 11 or below.

As far as it defending against it...No. If you dont want any more fuel-cut, there are things you can buy to eliminate or raise it. Do some research, I'm sure you'll find something. :)

· Registered
1,881 Posts
supra_fast said:
ok so in english should i get mbc or a electronic bc? from what i here a mbc will work fine right?
MBC will work fine. You just won't be able to adjust it from the cab.
That's actually a repeat so I won't take credit for it.
IMO, you should upgrade your intake before boosting to 12psi.
That's not a repeat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.