Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6spd
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
poll or feedback for favored boost controlling method for single turbo supras with AEM EMS?

what are you guys using and why? what do you prefer about it that works well with the aem ems/single turbo.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
sleeknsilver said:
poll or feedback for favored boost controlling method for single turbo supras with AEM EMS?

what are you guys using and why? what do you prefer about it that works well with the aem ems/single turbo.
i have the blitz dsbc works perfect im thinking about switching over to an hks ezV or greddy profectII

or i might just do what others with the aem ecu are doing and let the aem unit control the boost .

·
Registered
855 Posts
I use an Apexi boost solenoid controlled by the AEM. Once tuned correctly, the AEM holds boost within 0.5 psi of target all the way to redline. You can also set it up and have boost controlled by vehicle speed to help with traction. I also run methanol. With meth off or if I accidentally run out of meth, I get min boost automatically.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Hau said:
I use an Apexi boost solenoid controlled by the AEM. Once tuned correctly, the AEM holds boost within 0.5 psi of target all the way to redline. You can also set it up and have boost controlled by vehicle speed to help with traction. I also run methanol. With meth off or if I accidentally run out of meth, I get min boost automatically.
i really need you to help tune my aem ..

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I use the GM solenoid, the Apexdi is better since it's failure mode is minimum boost and not max:eek: I prefer having the AEM take care of the boost, one less blinky thing in my cockpit...

·
3,466 Posts
BLKMGK-

How much variation do you see in target boost with the GM? (IE: Hau's Apexi = +/- 0.5lbs)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I just looked at the log I've got for the spoolup thread I had started awhile back. 4th gear WOT it sticks to within 4KPA up to 5700 where I shut it off. Varied from 234KPA to 238KPA or so. Not sure what that is in PSI. That's with a 239KPA target so I tend to undershoot just a hair - that's a function of how I've got it setup is all. I could fine tune the duty table some more so that less adjustment was done by the error control which could smooth it a touch more but I've not bothered. I think within 5KPA is pretty good!

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
Im currently running the EVC5 with my AEM. Its great for adjusting boost on the fly, but never seems to be that accurate. I have the GM solenoid sitting at home, and one of these days I will get around to hooking it up:D Don't spend the extra $$ on a separate unit when you can get the apexi motor or GM solenoid for much cheaper.

·
4,109 Posts
But you only have two boost levels when you use the AEM for boost, is that correct? Also, how do you actually change boost levels with the AEM?

·
Registered
807 Posts
correct... only 2 boost levels.... wastegate spring pressure, and whatever you set it to.

Ranger,
If you have the Blitz DSBC, KEEP IT!! It is by far one of the better boost controllers out there. it holds boost ROCK steady, even up to 35psi(more if needed). I recommend this boost controller to anyone, and I have it in my personal car as well..

Justin

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
justinn5 said:
correct... only 2 boost levels.... wastegate spring pressure, and whatever you set it to.

Ranger,
If you have the Blitz DSBC, KEEP IT!! It is by far one of the better boost controllers out there. it holds boost ROCK steady, even up to 35psi(more if needed). I recommend this boost controller to anyone, and I have it in my personal car as well..

Justin
Agreed, several locals are running the DSBC and love it! If by chance you are interested in trading for my EVC5 plus cash ill all for it though lol;)

Andrew

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
justinn5 said:

Ranger,

Justin
How about the SBC-ID?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Justin, Sean had weird boost control issues with my setup and the AEM controlling it. Have you seen such cases where boost spikes too much or lags if the spike is prevented but a happy medium is almost impossible to find for some reason? I've also seen another issue with boost but I don't wanna hyjack the thread. I'm pondering leaving the AEM control and trying the highly reccommended Blitz boost controller route.

justinn5 said:
same solenoid... also gets a thumbs up from me...

Justin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts