Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

need some advice on a boost controller. I got a 89 supra turbo and I am planning to run more boost over the summer. Wanted to see suggestions of what boost controller I should look into? Also it would be nice if you can tell me what boost controller you run and why did you chose it (such as functions or easiness to use). Thanks to anyone that can help.

·
NO SOUP 4 U
1,683 Posts
HKS makes a nice boost controller. If you dont know what you are doing setting up the boost preasure, i would take it to someone that does. Ive seen a few people install them and crank on that knob and what do you know.... too much boost. Nothing worse than inviting new problems to your motor. You will also more than likely have to get a better boost gauge. The OEM one isnt going to be able to read out higher numbers for you.

Wedge

·
FMOS Racing
152 Posts
There are a ton of boost controllers out there, and depending on what the goal is, you should choose one that best fits your application. I have had a great deal of sucess witht he manual boost controllers taht are out there. They are easy to dial in (if you have a little patience and a good stretch of road, or a dyno to tune it with). These units have always been cost effective, and (in my case) offer better reliability and consistency than the electronic units.

You should really do some research before you buy, just make sure that you research what is out there, and dont jump at something because it has all of the digital this, or LED that. I am using a $45 manual controller on both my race car, and my street car, and I ahve never had one bit of problem.

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
what are your mods, what are your goals, what is your price range?

If you want cheap get a MBC. If you want really nice with bells whistles and no spikes and have a little more cash to spend look for an EBC,

I have been running an HKS EVC 1 for over 2 years now on everything from stock (intake/exhaust/ct26) through my current mods and couldnt be happier. Would buy it again in a heartbeat

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea my car came with some mods. it has greddy sp exhaust, K&n intake, downpipe, greddy turbo timer. my friend swapped the motor with a jdm 7mgte.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
i might have a greddy type s for sale soon, let me know. its just negative and positive, hook it inline to your wastegate, adjust and go. that simple.

·
4,932 Posts
i have the aem tru boost installed on my car, and i have to say its really easy to change your boost level....two settings, A and B...one finger and you can change between them in two seconds. if you want a totally new one, id say about 5 seconds but you need two hands.

no problems thus far, and ive only heard good things about it. it doubles as a boost gauge as well which helps a lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
dont get a greddy profec b spec 2, i heard 2 much negativity about them Plus im stuck wit one
I have the Greddy unit and I disagree. Once you learn how to use and adjust the settings properly, it really is a good unit. That's my opinion on it. To the OP, like stated above it depends on what your goals are/mods/price range. I used a MBC before and it works okay, but the EBC is much better. Also, whichever route you go, you need a good aftermarket boost gauge so you can see what you're doing. The Greddy unit has one built in, but I don't know about other units.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have the aem tru boost installed on my car, and i have to say its really easy to change your boost level....two settings, A and B...one finger and you can change between them in two seconds. if you want a totally new one, id say about 5 seconds but you need two hands.

no problems thus far, and ive only heard good things about it. it doubles as a boost gauge as well which helps a lot.
Same here. AEM TRU Boost is a good unit. I have one on my car as well. Very easy to hook up and understand. And if you have it mounted it doesn't take two hands. I adjust mine when I need to with one hand. It has a feature that shuts down the controller if you go over a certain amount of boost. You can set it to different PSI's so that if it goes over a certain amount of boost the controller kicks off and you have stock boost. Very handy.

·
4,932 Posts
Same here. AEM TRU Boost is a good unit. I have one on my car as well. Very easy to hook up and understand. And if you have it mounted it doesn't take two hands. I adjust mine when I need to with one hand. It has a feature that shuts down the controller if you go over a certain amount of boost. You can set it to different PSI's so that if it goes over a certain amount of boost the controller kicks off and you have stock boost. Very handy.
i have mine hanging from the ignition by a rubber band.

:angel:

A pillar pod coming eventually...more important things come first lol, like a dyno for a friend...and then bills. screw verizon.

·
Registered
501 Posts
dont get the greddy profec spec 2 it never gives you what you want i had it for three months then tossed it. If you want easy get the profec type s. It is cheap and does a good job.

·
Registered
114 Posts
i have mine hanging from the ignition by a rubber band.

:angel:

A pillar pod coming eventually...more important things come first lol, like a dyno for a friend...and then bills. screw verizon.
LOL Ghetto! Pillar pod is like 75 bucks or something. But then again there are a lot of ghetto things on my car to.

Back on topic AEM Tru boost is seriously easy to use and not extremely expensive. Bought mine for 260 shipped. Just shop around.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok u can make a manual boost controller for about 5 bux. And DIY. here is a web site.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...0-how-make-manual-boost-controller-works.html

you all make make fun of me but I have had great sucess with doing this before on my DSM i used to have, and im sure it will work the same when i am ready to up the boost in my MK3. But I def will agree you need an aftermarket boost gauge. or u will over boost in a heartbeat. But if you want a high tech go with an electronic BC so u can be lazy and change boost from inside the car. HAHAHA I had a MBC inside my DSM so i could up the boost from in the car and no one knew any different. Looked like a small knob on my dash. LOL. Happy boosting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts