Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well couldn't find anything in search but I know this has been discussed before. Anyways I saw a picture of a 30psi gauge in the stock location and wondering how this was done and with what gauge. It was recessesed into the spot so it looked really good and didn't stick out or leave a boost gauge housing like some others I have seen which is mainly why I liked it. If someone could post the pic o this one or some info on it it would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
i used to have a pic of it. it was a custom made, shocking i know. apexi guage, removed the shell and replaced the face with on that looked stock. was hot as hell. cant remember who it was though.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
his car = sex...of course his site is in my fav's :p

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
paddlenbike has a simialr setup in his 88... pm him or maybe he will chim in as i can't find the addy to his site

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Heh, actually, I have a similar setup in my car. Works well, but it sure was a PITA to install right. I also didn't bother with the re-printed gauge face, just bought one that was close enough from Autometer and used it.

·
Banned
3,588 Posts
id do that to mine but ive got a nice lil volt meter there instead ;)

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
yeah, paddlenbike has a similar one. looks pretty good, and looks pretty much stock.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
god i have so many projects i have to do now :D maybe this is why people always say their cars arnt running... they are always doing something to it :)

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
ive done that mod twice now. i put a Greddy boost guage in my old 91 supra and now RTA racing supra has it. the other car was psifactor's car w/ the 1JZ swap. the one i put in her car was a 52mm Pro-comp ultralight -30/30psi boost guage. its teh hotness.

next time i do one, i think im going to use a 60mm and remove the bezel and lens and stick it behind the guage cluster trim inside the stock housing, rather than placing an entire 52mm guage unit inside the stock boost guage opening.

i cant find any pics of the install right now, but its pretty in-cog-negro

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yeah i was thinking the same thing i even took apart the instrument panel but could not find a esasy clean way, what did you guys did rip the old one and keep the needle?, and do you use the wiring form the stock one?, becouse its electric there are no vacum tubes going to the gauge, where do i have to conect the vacuum hose for the new gauge to work?, should i use the vac hose that goes to the boost sensor up right in the engine bay? Im totally noob as youc an see :(

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
SacoMan said:
Yeah i was thinking the same thing i even took apart the instrument panel but could not find a esasy clean way, what did you guys did rip the old one and keep the needle?, and do you use the wiring form the stock one?, becouse its electric there are no vacum tubes going to the gauge, where do i have to conect the vacuum hose for the new gauge to work?, should i use the vac hose that goes to the boost sensor up right in the engine bay? Im totally noob as youc an see :(
You would have to run a hose from the intake plenum. "T-ing" it off the stock pressure sensor is fine. This is of course if you are putting a mechanical one in there like I did. If you are putting an electronic one, it will come with its own wring harness of course.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
jt2ma71 said:
OR!!!!

Yeah, it's a bad pic, but you'll be seeing a little more where that came from soon...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I would actually suggest the 52mm. I had about 40hrs into these gauges alone! The black gauge bezel, when using the 60mm will need to be machined/dremeled out to accompany the size.

I went with the 60mm b/c Defi only had a few of the gauges that i wanted in imperial units in the 52mm. So i had to go to 60mm Metric. Not a real concern but if you decide to attempt such a feat, it's not easy.

But it is fun too see people comment on the gauges. I tell them that the gauges have been replaced and they're like :wtf:?? Most people can't even tell that they're not stock. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts