Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Funny Man
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking to get into the MKIV clan soon, but I have a problem....well, my friend has one.
He just purchased a 94TT auto yesterday. It was running and driving fine, until....bam no more boost. Vaccum is fine, the car idles fine....air is being sucked into the filter....but no spooling twins under load.
WTF????? Boost leak? I would think a siezed turbo, but they were just replaced...and there is also a bit of oil dripping onto the downpipe. Please help guys. I thought these cars weren't supposed to have problems :rofl:

·
Registered
453 Posts
make sure that all of the vaccum hoses around the twins are still hooked up and didnt pop off. Search about TTC. You could try that to test what the problem is.

·
The Funny Man
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot get my search function to work, I know people say to check there first, but mine isn't working. The oil drip is stumping me as well. I am not used to these motors yet....hopefully soon though.

·
The Funny Man
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I really appreciate the help guys....
How can you tell if the wastegate is stuck open?
I mean, there is no spool what-so-ever when driving, and that oil dripping on the downpipe is subject as well. Man, I wish I the damn search would work correctly. Keep the ideas coming. And thanks again.

·
Turbo4wd
19 Posts
I don't have an idea regarding the boost problem, but i also had an oil-leak on one of my twins; the oil-return exiting the turbo wasn't holding its seal and therefor dripping oil, this ofcourse fell right on top of the downpipe causing it to smoke a little.

I had already seen the oil on the ground under the car and after a short ride i found this leak. Took it to the garage and pinpointed them on exactly what they should fix. (i don't like people messing around by themselves), anyway, since it was the oil line exiting the turbo, no damage was done, just loosing oil, no boost problems at all.

Cost me 60dollars to get it fixed. Don't know if this helps you much, but it's better then keeping my mouth shut :)

Luke94 (posting under meurz's account)

G

·
its not popped IC hose, since car idles fine....if it were, it would run super rich and smoke out the exhaust.

Most likely your turbo #1 is frozen somehow, and it doesnt spool up. #1 turbo is required to spool up to 4000rpm and then the turbo #2 jumps in

·
The Funny Man
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
great responses guys, and the oil leak picture may really help, so thanks for helping. god, I hope that turbo did not freeze up, it is supposed to be new. My friend is taking to the shop, and we'll see what they say. I believe they have a year warranty on them, so that is good.

·
The Funny Man
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
taking the car in.....I'll let you guys know what it was.....

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
it could still be a blown I/C pipe, sometimes if the pipe pops off but still has pressure against the other pipe, it will be "sucked" on it under vacuum but when it boosts it pushes them apart.

·
So... Yeah...
422 Posts
hey guys, i really appraciate all of your help and ideas, yes it was my car that we are talking about in this thread.. thanks cliff for checking this out for me as my internet was down for a month and i just recieved validation yesterday on my account. but to answer anyones questions, the #1 turbo did fail.. don't know how yet but it was bad... so they are sending the "new" turbos back and getting another set.. so hopefully sometime next week i'll get my car back. and the turbos won't seize.. and all will be joyfull...but again thanks to all of you guys for trying to help out.. i do appreciate it.. and cliff, hurry up and get one of these things...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts