Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Is it turbo? Is it stick?
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues, which could or could not be related to the Boost Logic pieces themselves, or could be another component.
I've never heard of fitment issues with these pieces so I expect that this is an isolated incident, but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas.

My setup:
94 TT 6-Speed
Greddy Exhaust Manifold
Precision 67mm Turbo
TiAL 44mm EWG (with vband to 4 bolt adapter bracket)
BL 4" Downpipe/Midpipe
HKS 4" Ti Catback

The results of this are that the end of the midpipe sits about 1.5" lower than where the catback begins, and it absolutely wont line up.
The front part of the midpipe is too high and hits the underside of the car, and the midpipe continues on a slight downward slope so that by the time you get to the back of it, its too low.

As far as downpipe fitment, it seems VERY tight, but it doesn't hit anything. It is about 1mm from the EWG and the bottom vband flange is very close to the firewall, but not touching. It seems like it would be more ideal if it had a little more clearance, especially since this leads to the midpipe hitting the underside of the car about 6" down the exhaust.

I have been talking to Boost Logic about this and they've been very helpful in trying to do what they could including sending me another downpipe to verify fitment, but unfortunately it fit exactly the same. I am absolutely not bashing Boost Logic in any way or blaming them for this... I am not sure what the issue is here, but I am trying to find out.

I'll include some photos in case anyone has any ideas. Hopefully I can figure this out soon and have a proper fitting exhaust so I can drive the car normally.
Thanks for any input or ideas...

view from the top of the DP

EWG clearance

I did have it bolted up previously but had to use a bracket to lower the catback down to the level of the midpipe, resulting in TERRIBLE ground clearance to the point that it'd scrape the road over bumps!
Here are some photos of things from that...

Even with the catback lowered, the midpipe still touched the underside of the car slightly, as evidenced by melted undercoating on the midpipe when I removed it.

·
The Great Kruso
3,875 Posts
I had a similar issue with another kit that I installed a few years back and the problem was originating from the manifold and the way it was angled. There is no reason why this kit should not just bolt on but obviously you are in this predicament. I would say verify that the turbo is mounted flush to the exhaust manifold and if issue still continues take the car to an exhaust shop and have them cut the downpipe towards the front of the car (not the top, bottom) and mock it back up where it sits flush with the cat back and re welded. The process is relatively inexpensive and cost me $30 but the welds arent as nice as the ones on the BL kit.

Kruso

·
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought the Greddy manifold used but I would assume its in it doesn't have fitment issues. It was in good condition without any obvious rewelds or any other issues. I was very careful with each step of the install so I think everything is torqued down flush.
Yeah thats what its looking like... unfortunately my downpipe is already ceramic coated! But if I have to, I'll cut and weld, and if recoating it is necessary then so be it.
Just sucks to pay good money for a bolt on solution and then have to pay to modify it further.
I had a ebay downpipe/midpipe but sold them in favor of the effortless bolt on solution from BL, unfortunately thats not the way it went.
Not sure if I should buy another ebay 4" DP/MP for $400 and modify that (and sell the BL stuff), tweak the BL stuff I have now, or just go full custom and start from scratch.
Thanks for the response... if anyone else has an idea lay it on me!

·
Supra owner
421 Posts
I had a PHR 4" dp & mp which wouldn't fit properly with one of their own kits.

The installer had to have 3 cut and welds to get it to fit correctly. I understand via the supplier that PHR doesn't guarantee fitment.

Hopefully BL will help you on this.

B

·
Banned
29 Posts
This is why I went FULL RACE.....

You want to talk about fitment...my GOD. They're just unbelieveable at what they do. Not just the downpipes, but their manifolds are just ridiculous.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you Troll. I have a Greddy manifold. Mine fits, but it was a bitch to line up. Also the MP was touching the under floor of the car.

·
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses guys...

I lifted all the pipes into place and put the vband clamps on loosely... they all went on and things looked like the had potential, but when I started snugging things up slowly, it became clear that things weren't lining up properly... I kept them all loose enough to articulate to try and find the sweet spot, but there isn't one currently on my setup.
I could torque it all down but there is a lot of pressure on the downpipe/turbo/manifold and the midpipe is pressed against the underside of the car, so thats obviously not good.

Again, BL has been very responsive and helpful with things, and they are going to check out my midpipe next to see if that might be the issue. The fitment issues are frustrating, but I've got to hand it to them thus far for their service addressing it thus far.

·
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well its official... I need to go custom as the BL pieces have been put on their jig and they say they are both right. No idea why, but its time I start looking at a custom solution.

I think I'll keep my current BL downpipe that is already ceramic coated and have a midpipe fabbed up to link the downpipe to the catback. I can either have it made from scratch from stainless which will be $300+ just in supplies after I'm done buying straights, bends, and a vband clamp assembly, or I can get the ebay downpipe/midpipe setup for $380 and modify the midpipe to fit, then sell the downpipe as is.

Hmmmm. All I know right now is the car SUCKS open downpipe, its painful to drive and I don't want to do it any more than I have to. Its really unfortunate that I've been dealing with this problem for so long so at this point I'm really looking forward to a proper solution.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Buy the eBay, and sell the DP. I don't think the DP will fit most standard size turbines anyways. Maybe you won't even have to mod the MP, and it will fit fine. That's wishful thinking on my part. :lol:

Alex

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I have installed a BL kit before, along with the DP and MP and everything did infact just bolt up.. no fitment issues at all. The MP was tight fitting to the floor of the car, and it took some adjusting but the resulting ground clearance was well worth it. In my case we bolted it to a HKS ti 4" exhaust.

Only diffrence I can see is that it was a BL manifold w/ a GT4508 turbo, not a Greddy w/ a Pt67

·
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha yeah that'd be a dream... what sucks is I had the ebay setup and was going to mod it until I figured I'd take the plunge on the Boost Logic stuff for a bolt on solution :(.

With the BL setup, the very front of the midpipe where it attaches to the downpipe needs to come down about 1/2" - 3/4" lower before it turns to the back of the car in order to clear the underside of the car. Along with that I might need a very slight adjustment in angle of the pipe so it stays tight underneath the car, and thats about it. Not sure if the ebay will need similar, but it'd probably be close.

At this point I just really want to be able to bolt it up to my HKS Ti and hear that beautiful exhaust note instead of the brain-rattling drone of the open downpipe.
And I've got a Veilside Ti here too that I'd like to try out finally to see if I prefer the sound... but never had the chance becuase of these downpipe/midpipe issues.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Does your manifold sit higher than the BL manifold? Honestly it took about 30 min total to install the DP, MP and exhaust. It really was just a bolt on deal..

In my case..

I attached the DP to the turbo but kept it loose enough that the DP could rotate, I loosened all the hangers on the car, then attached the mid pipe, but kept it semi loose, (it took some force but could rotate).

I then attached the HKS exhaust, again semi-loose..

I then worked from front to back. Lined it up, pushed into place, then tightend the bolts on the mounts and the v-bands, It took a little adjusting to get the tail-pipe centerend but over all it fit perfectly, tucked up against the car, and I was happy as could be. The BL setup really hugs the bottom of the car, which i loved. I easly picked up an inch or more of ground clearance over my old setup; which would scrap on every speed bump.

·
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have a genuine Greddy manifold... to my understanding (and BL agreed) their manifold should have identical fitment and their DP/MP should fit perfectly with it.
I have a Precision 6765H turbo... T4 flange and a 3" v-band outlet, again should fit properly with this setup. Its also worth mentioning that I am using an adapter flange for my 44mm EWG, but BL also checked off on that saying it shouldnt be a problem.
If the manifold placed the turbo slightly lower, that probably would alleviate the fitment issues, but AFAIK, the BL and Greddy should both be the same fitment.

I'm wondering if something in my setup is off a tad, but I really cant think of anything. I installed the manifold first and torqued it, then I installed the turbo and torqued it, then I installed the entire exhaust from downpipe to catback with all of the clamps loose... did a lot of wiggling and articulating to try and find the best way for them to all fit, and I went back and forth with snugging them up slowly. Unfortunately as they snugged up it put more stress on the setup and it became pretty clear it wasnt going to fit. The front of the midpipe pressed against the underside of the car, and dropped too low where it meets the catback. I took the setup off and did it a 2nd time just to try and reset, but unfortunately the results were the same.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Troll, try these guys out for stainless bends. I bought all of mine from them for my custom piping.

http://www.globaltecheng.com/stainlesstube.htm

The good thing about their piping is that first off, their prices are some of the most competitive, and second, the bends have really long tangents on the end so you'll barely need to buy any straight pipe if any at all. Give them a ring before you buy anything else.

Justin

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Why not just have the BL modified to fit instead of a whole new setup? Will be a cheap, permanent fix

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
I think it's because he might be able to offset the cost some if he sells his BL MP instead of hacking it up. That all depends on what he sells it for though, IF that's the case.

Alex

·
4,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I sent the BL midpipe back to BL to have them put it on the jig to see if fitment seemed right, and they verified that it did. They offered to give me a refund for it which I took them up on.
I appreciate their support and willingness to take a return on a midpipe that I did use for a short time, that gets a really big thumbs up.
On the other side, it took FOREVER to move this process along between communicating, shipping, and hearing back from them. FOREVER. Like I said I appreciate the end result, but its really unfortunate that it took as long as it did and I'm still exhaustless presently.

So where I am left now is with my BL downpipe which I had previously purchased used and already had ceramic coated, and a HKS Ti catback. The midpipe is what I need a solution for so I can either buy the ebay setup and mod it, or I can have a custom midpipe made. The ebay should be cheaper in the long run after selling the downpipe, but the quality of the parts is my concern, not sure if I'll kick myself about it later, although the other ebay pieces I had didn't seem too far behind the BL stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts