Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I bought my Supra a couple weeks ago and assumed that the boost gauge was reading correctly since I didn't know any better (first turbo car)...but now I'm thinking differently. When the car is idling it sits around 500mmhg, which is below 0 bar. If I am at a stop the car is idles at 500mmhg, and if I rev the motor it will get up to 0 bar but that's as high as it goes. If I am driving the car however than it seems to be normal, as it does hit 1 bar while in 3rd or higher, but every time I shift it drops below 0 bar.

Here's a vid of a 3rd gear pull on the freeway...I let off the gas at 6k RPM:

http://videos.suprafiles.com/video/2b716853-8a0a-4542-8c49-4d78ac3ea068.htm

Could I have a boost leak that is causing things to go below 0, or could the gauge be hooked up wrong, or is this how it is supposed to read? From other posts I've read it seems that this gauge is supposed to be resting at 0 bar while idling and should never go below that? Thanks!

-Aaron

·
TE44 NA-T
1,026 Posts
It's normal. When you are not on the throttle you have vacuum.

·
Noise ≠ Power...
638 Posts
Lol yeah- the turbos gotta have exhaust gasses flowin to build boost, ya know? Yeah dude, totally normal, don't worry! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thanks guys! Like I said when I bought the car I thought it was normal, but then I read in a few different posts of people who's gauges sat right at zero when they were idling so I wasn't sure anymore.

Thanks again!

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Some of your confusion may be that some people have a 'boost only' gauge, and no vacuum gauge. Those ones only measure anything over atmospheric pressure and will sit on "zero" until boost reaches the manifold. When you're at idle, cruise, or any time the throttle is closed you should be seeing vacuum. In fact, some of your highest vacuum readings will be between shifts.

Congrads on getting a simply incredible first "turbo" car!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cord4530 said:
Some of your confusion may be that some people have a 'boost only' gauge, and no vacuum gauge. Those ones only measure anything over atmospheric pressure and will sit on "zero" until boost reaches the manifold. When you're at idle, cruise, or any time the throttle is closed you should be seeing vacuum. In fact, some of your highest vacuum readings will be between shifts.

Congrads on getting a simply incredible first "turbo" car!!
That makes sense...I appreciate it!

I've been wanting one of these since the year they came out, but never had the money for one. After going through car after car of "thinking" I'd be happy enough with it in place of a Supra (stealth, sc300, on and on...) I finally wisened up 10 cars later :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts