Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
girl here at school has a 94 TT atx.
car has Apexi AVC-R, Tanabe Downpipe, Tanabe Race Medallion, Greddy Type-S, and RS Akimoto Intake.
she was on a 2.5 hr drive yesterday and on the way she was at 3/4 throttle, around 10 psi. AVC-R is only set at 13/14 psi.
she said all of a sudden the car just lost power.
checked all the vacuum lines, etc. nothing appears to be out of place, or disconnected (blown off).
i've "looked" at the intercooler pipes and they are connected, it is possible one has a crack in it somewhere i can't see.
the car is only making about 5 psi, and it struggles to do that.
and it will sometimes not let you rev past 3500 rpm. it will rev very slowly to 3500 and physically stop revving at WOT.
car is not smoking at all. has the typical gas smell since it is a turbo and also has no cat.
what are the signs of a dieing/or dead turbo for a MKIV?
could this be related to a bad sensor of some sort?
going to remove the intercooler pipes and look them over.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, found the intercooler hose.
it was one of the clamps on the intercooler-to-throttle body hose section. clamp was gone.
do you have to have the AVC-R advanced tuned to set the boost past 14.7 psi?
car has had extensive mods on it before the current owner got it.
haven't checked yet if it has the zero-cost fuel cut mod done to it.
but i've tried setting the boost well into the upper-teens and it won't go past 15 psi.
first turbo only spools up to 10 psi, then when the second one hits it will give you 15 psi.
any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
the car ran 13.73 at 103.69 with the current mods, 13 psi, and with a 2.22 60' time. i cut a 2.18 earlier in the night and ran 13.79 at the same trap speed.
thanks.

·
Registered
658 Posts
you are hitting fuel cut the free fuel cut mod will screw up the car. Give the girl a present since you are driving it buy a greddy bcc it cots a 100.00 and installation is simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the fuel cut isn't anything harsh?
it justs won't let boost go past 15 psi?
i am used to harsh fuel cut where the car lurches.
yeah, Greddy BCC is next mod.
and a tune up.
thanks.

L

·
0 Posts
Does this girl realize what she has or what she was about to get before she go it. If not, that makes me sick/jealous..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes she knows what she has.
when we take the car to the dragstrip she makes runs in it.
my goal is to get her to run it as fast as i get it to.
talked to her today, ordering Greddy BCC this week.
can't race again till March'ish.
going to dyno tune the car on Dec. 1
i'll be around here on the board.
mostly reading
btw, she is a really hot redhead.

L

·
0 Posts
Sounds like you are more into it then she is. Maybe you guys should trade cars. Are you buying her this stuff?? Wait a sec, Where do you live??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
in general i am more into cars than she is.
but she really does love the car and knows a decent bit about it.
i wish we could trade cars. i had it friday and saturday and it is a lot of fun.
we attend college in Clemson, SC.
she pays for everything for the car. i just try to find the best prices for her when it comes time to buy something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
around 10-15 mm/hg at idle. the leak got severly worse once you applied throttle under load.
the pipe that blew off leaked worse once the turbos started to make boost and made the leak many times bigger. the way they have the piping secured it almost sealed the leak at idle under you tried to push more than atmospheric air through the pipes.
that help?
later
dave

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just trying to check everything. I replaced some vaccum hoses and checked the intercooler piping. Going to look at the actuator and maybe try capping the vsv and see if the vaccumm changes any.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts