Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Stock Twins King
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my Vipec installed late next week. I am mapping all my electronics so I can run a separate harness bundle all by itself. I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a rotary switch that can adjust the boost in cabin on the fly. I read somewhere that a rotary switch with different value resistors would work. I am thinking someone with an AEM or Motec, or other, had possibly made one. Lke a range from 17-18psi up to about 26psi.

I am using the same solenoid that the AEM boost controller uses and the Vipec will control the boost for the most part, but I am thinking that a switch would be a lot more convenient than going into the laptop. Or maybe I have no clue lol since I will be new to a standalone.

Stu

·
Inline for the win
4,779 Posts
Stu,

Motec has one and I know the guys at Twins Turbo have a trick one with engraved aluminum selector that they used on Dan B's black v-mount/roadrace setup. The price is reasonable as its pre-wired and terminated with a DTM connector.

·
ex BPU'er
5,095 Posts
Stu,

Vipec can make multiple fuel maps, boost maps, etc. It also allows for high and low voltage inputs. I was planning on doing something like this for my car. Maybe you can find a small 5 volt source and use a simple switch in cabin, so when vipec "sees" this 5v trigger, it goes to a different map(s). I'm guessing you are doing this with meth injection, so make sure you have a safety trigger (meth pressure for instance) just in case shit hits the fan.

Jeremy

·
Stock Twins King
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stu,

Vipec can make multiple fuel maps, boost maps, etc. It also allows for high and low voltage inputs. I was planning on doing something like this for my car. Maybe you can find a small 5 volt source and use a simple switch in cabin, so when vipec "sees" this 5v trigger, it goes to a different map(s). I'm guessing you are doing this with meth injection, so make sure you have a safety trigger (meth pressure for instance) just in case shit hits the fan.

Jeremy
I was going to email you about this, but I finally got my SN so I can post now on the Vipec forum.

No, not meth, but everyday boost. I am installing a GMFlex sensor so I assume the Vipec will make the necassary adjustments. But mostly I will be running regular fuel. So If I decide to add race gas and up the boost, the switch thing for basic boost increments is all I want. I will have to get with John to see the increment voltages "per" boost level. I am still learning about stand alones since in my 10 years of ownership I never paid attention. Technology is now here and the stock ECU must go~!

Stu

·
ex BPU'er
5,095 Posts
I was going to email you about this, but I finally got my SN so I can post now on the Vipec forum.

No, not meth, but everyday boost. I am installing a GMFlex sensor so I assume the Vipec will make the necassary adjustments. But mostly I will be running regular fuel. So If I decide to add race gas and up the boost, the switch thing for basic boost increments is all I want. I will have to get with John to see the increment voltages "per" boost level. I am still learning about stand alones since in my 10 years of ownership I never paid attention. Technology is now here and the stock ECU must go~!

Stu
haha yep! Vi-pec is awesome. Everyone else in the world is using it except here in the US :). Ray Hall FTMFW!

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Just out of interest, what made you pick Vipec ? Over AEM V2 or ProEFI or heck, even Megasquirt ? From my limited reading, ProEFI looks to be the most capable/flexible, but also the most expensive.

Dean.

·
Pot Hole Slalom
371 Posts
Stu you may want to ask Tony_the_Tiger here on the forums. He was going to do this on my car before I purchased it so I'm pretty sure he knows what to do. GL

·
Stock Twins King
4,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeremy...Ray Hall emailed me a few days ago stating that the Traction control software is still a few months out. So I will keep my racelogic installed until then.

"sacapuntas"...Are you saying that he is intalling the Vipec? Or a boost switch with the Vipec? I will PM him.

"halfwalker"... The Vipec IMO is the best for user freindly applications. It is a well made unit with little to no flaws. I cannot comment about how it really compares to the others, Jeremy migth be able to. The Vipec for some reason isnt used that much here in the US. Ray Hall left another major Standalone company and started this a few years ago. I know John Reed, who is a Huge AEM guy got frustrated with the constant issues with the AEM and went over to the Vipec. He swears by it. Of course John still tunes the AEM, but I think for new installs he pushes the Vipec instead. Sorry at this point I cannot offer any more detail as to what makes it the best. Someone can elaborate more possibly.

Stu

·
Pot Hole Slalom
371 Posts
Stu, he was going to just install a boost switch with AEM V2. That was going to be done for the previous owner but then I purchased the car. I opted out that option for I'm new to the single setup.... just want to get comfortable with over 600HP on pump+meth before attempting to increase boost with race fuel ohnoes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts