Supra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Melllo for the "Dan Mac" reference, FATurbo1 for the gauge... and Dan McBoost for the wiring advice!

Well, finally after all my posting on "how to" my problems were solved. It was fairly simple too. Getting a gauge would probably be the hardest thing for anyone to do. It was as simple as hard wiring the guage to current power/ground within the dash cluster and cutting a connection in the molded circuit board.

Email if your interested.

·
Fuzz E. Guy
853 Posts
I never did get around to doing that. I may do it tonight. Send me the instructions on where you connected it to. I noticed on the N\A gauge cluster there are several places labled IGN and E for ground. I figured if I found them on the turbo cluster I could just wire to them and be good. I didn't think about cutting the runner on the circuit board though (DOH!). I was going to insulate the screw and hardwire to the meter. I like your way much better.

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
Hey Patrick, you might as well post it cause we are all dying to hear step-by-step instructions on how to do it! :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Add me to the list. I just got my replacement indiglo gauges from Speedhut and when I pick up the voltmeter, I will be putting it in.

Thanks,
Tracy

·
Fuzz E. Guy
853 Posts
If I remember correctly it is real simple. Just remove the boost gauge and install the voltmeter. The top screw is already a switched positive so all you need to do is run a jumper from the bottom screw to a ground source on the back of the board. There are plenty labled ground sources just pick one and hook it up to the bottom screw.

Scott

·
20G Boostin'
1,676 Posts
yeah , just post the info dude :)
looks like a bunch of us are interested in the conversion. did you take any pictures? those are always handy. but it sounds like a fairly simple job anyhow.. biggest paint must be getting the bezel out.

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
I don't know what lead you are talking about cutting... I have a pic of the jumper wire that I ran to get the Voltmeter working...

I was lucky enough to have an NA cluster to check while I hooked up the Voltmeter in my T.

http://www.KeithH.net/voltmeter.htm

Works GREAT... I've also seen this exact mod work on another friend's Supra...

KeithH
89T

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
Keithh said:
I don't know what lead you are talking about cutting... I have a pic of the jumper wire that I ran to get the Voltmeter working...

I was lucky enough to have an NA cluster to check while I hooked up the Voltmeter in my T.

http://www.KeithH.net/voltmeter.htm

Works GREAT... I've also seen this exact mod work on another friend's Supra...

KeithH
89T
Sweet! Thats exactly what we need to know! Helpful site ya got there.

·
Supras Invade Las Vegas
2,385 Posts
I actually had the page together for a few days now but hadn't uploaded it... I saw this thread and uploaded for your viewing pleasure... :)

NOW!!! As a thank you for this excellent picture... DRAG YOUR @$$ TO VEGAS THIS OCTOBER! :)

KeithH
89T
I want to see more than the 40 or so MkIIIs that we've been getting - I know there are a lot of MkIVs but there are also quite a few MkIIIs.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry for the delay... just moved and am waiting on my cable modem to show up.

Anyways, Keithh is correct regarding the Voltmeter gauge swap. I actually performed mine with minimal instructions (used a picture from Dan). I choose to leave the "white box" in place hence cutting the molded wire and I ran 2 wires from the actual gauge posts to hot/ground... used ground next to the green plug and hot next to the IGN+.

I connected it the way Keithh explains 1st... but then saw a voltmeter gauge acting like a boost gauge. I guess if you were to remove the "white box" you may not see this.

Patrick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts