Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My BL auto broke in the end of last season. I only had around 5k miles on the tranny. I had the transmission re-built locally with the BL rebuild kit and thought I'd post pics as I've never seen pics posted of a broken BL tranny.

Enjoy:

2nd(?) gear sprag, with the 3rd(?) gear sprag in the back ground (what the 1st sprag should look like)

Close up:

What the broken sprag did to the axle: (cost $240 + shipping)

Clutch packs, all burnt to hell:

Close up:

I'm doing a 6spd swap now. Hopefully the new owner has better luck with the BL tranny than me. :)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
the sprag is designed to only turn in 1 direction, yours looks like it rolled the sprag. this happens when your tires break loose, you let off, then stab it again and it hooks. as in trying to save the run. bad for the tranny.

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scnat: I think the tranny got hurt the first time when I was streetracing from a dig and had to feather the throttle to keep traction with my M/T ET Streets. They might have hooked at one point. After that night the 1st to 2nd shift wasnt as agressive as it used to be and the tranny broke a week after that. I also had the tranny temps around 80-90 Celsius measured from the oil pan as I had to do three runs without proper cooldown time. I had two B&M Coolers and one with a fan.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Scnat: I think the tranny got hurt the first time when I was streetracing from a dig and had to feather the throttle to keep traction with my M/T ET Streets. They might have hooked at one point. After that night the 1st to 2nd shift wasnt as agressive as it used to be and the tranny broke a week after that. I also had the tranny temps around 80-90 Celsius measured from the oil pan as I had to do three runs without proper cooldown time. I had two B&M Coolers and one with a fan.
that will do it.

·
No, ...It was NEVER NA!!!
1,417 Posts
Wow that sucks. Doesnt BL claim that this tranny will hold 800hp?

·
No, ...It was NEVER NA!!!
1,417 Posts
treated properly, yes. But spinning then hooking up under power can roll a sprag even on a 400.
Damn, I'll have to keep that in mind. So, if you break loose, ...just let off, snf dont get back on it hard? That kinda sucks!

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Wow that sucks. Doesnt BL claim that this tranny will hold 800hp?

Yes, and it will if treated correctly. We have trannys out there making more than that and that have hundreds of passes on them. On the other hand you can break one of ours or BLs at 350 RWHP if you do not know what you are doing!

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
..just let off, snf dont get back on it hard? That kinda sucks!
I agree, it sucks especially in street races.. if you let off, you loose.. but then again.. I lost my tranny.. oh well.. I guess I'll have to learn how to launch a 6spd now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
definitly good information as im heading to the track for the first time next weekend and just got my boostlogic trans in and running.

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I talked to the guy who rebuilt the transmission and he said also that there was an o-ring busted that might have reduced the line pressure in the transmission. Not sure which o-ring he meant..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts