Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boostlogic brings you the first TH400 with a Gear Vendors overdrive unit installed on a Supra. Actually, this was done more than 6 months ago. However, I have heard that a certain shop in Chicago :) is doing another. Being the car is here for more mods, we decided to make a video showing the overdrive being activated and the fact we have already done the upgrade. Therefore, I guess the shop in Chicago :) will now be copying us, in which we could really careless. :)

right click and save

On another note, this car has run high 9's at over 150. The unit was installed for the customer for cruising at highway speeds. This unit is for the customer that has to have 4th gear at any cost, because it is not cheap.

·
Premium Member
11,270 Posts
Yes, we just built one for Hulk Hogans new Yellow supra.

Here is a pic of the tranny that I sent him....... He laughed at me!

And sent me this picture back!

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
So what would the cost of this be then? Looks good though..............it does make the TH400 more appealing now that i'd be at lower rpms during highway cruising.............man...........and i just went with a 6speed, boooo! :(

·
4,109 Posts
How are you changing into OD? You appear to a have a switch wired behind the steering wheel? Also, can you full throttle shift into OD?

T

·
0 Posts
So I couldn't really tell what RPM they are hitting with the unit at that speed? What was the rpm around 80mph? I'm interested..

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
talltrini10 said:
How are you changing into OD? You appear to a have a switch wired behind the steering wheel? Also, can you full throttle shift into OD?
The original setup was activated by the cruise-on switch. New mods included the TRD steering wheel, which has no cruise provisions. So we installed a switch on the back side of the wheel. We have no idea if it will actually take full power. Gear Vendors says it will, but this car makes close to 800 on boost and at 150 mph, I do not want to find out with me driving a customers car. All he wanted it for was cruising at highway speeds.

Guy from Chicago, put those puny arms away. :blah:

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
RazorEcko said:
So whats the top end with that OD strapped on ?
What is the top end with the stock OD? Should be very close, as the OD ratios are close.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
talltrini10 said:
a) I will be activating mine manually using the factory OD button on the factory shifter. GV also has a switch that automatically activates the OD when reaching a set highway speed.

b) Yes, you can shift under full-throttle. The GV unit is rated for a gazillion horsepower.

·
4,109 Posts
FYRARMS said:
a) I will be activating mine manually using the factory OD button on the factory shifter.
You're using the factory shifter on a -400? I thought that people who tried that were breaking their shifters...

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
talltrini10 said:
You're using the factory shifter on a -400?
Not yet, but I have a spare shifter that my friend has modified to work with the TH400. I think Dana still runs a stock shifter in his car, too.

I thought that people who tried that were breaking their shifters...
How? It isn't the same as banging gears in a 6-speed. They are doing something wrong.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Targus said:
So I couldn't really tell what RPM they are hitting with the unit at that speed? What was the rpm around 80mph? I'm interested..
Anywhere from 400-800 depending on your torque converter. Our TH400's does not lockup, so the higher the RPM the better the drop in RPM.

T

·
0 Posts
PM Supra said:
Anywhere from 400-800 depending on your torque converter. Our TH400's does not lockup, so the higher the RPM the better the drop in RPM.

Ok, I have a BL400 with a 4200PI stall converter unlocked and i'm seeing 3200rpm at 70mph on the highway i'd like to be able to see that rpm at 80mph to keep up in traffic.. I'm definitly interested in this.

Thanks for all the info!

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Hey, I just noticed that I have the same Kenwood deck as the one in the video. :coold:

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Hahaha... No, mine have the average amount of blonde hairs. You know how those PM guys are, though. Hairy and sweaty. ;)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts