Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planing to put a single turbo on my 1994 6sp but i dount know

bouth kits are the same price any feed back would be great thanx

·
Registered
222 Posts
hmm, what's more important to you. engine response or hp numbers?

Personally, I would go for the boost logic kit because I need somewhat good response for my daily driving and I don't really care to make 500+ hp.

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,723 Posts
The Boost Logic setup will allow for ease of growth in the future, instead of Greddys crappy setup requiring adaptor plates. The inducer wheels are withing .5mm of one another so depending on what hot side a/r you request from BL, you can have nearly the exact same turbo.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
I've heard great things about both kits. I went with the Greddy kit because it was cheaper for me $2800 including shipping and tax. Just depends on what you are looking for. Check out the dyno section and look for some different charts. From what I hear once the Greddy Kit hits it's like a freight train. I can't wait. My goals are going 550-hopefully 600 on pump and 650+ on race gas. Of course with aem, and cams.

·
OG
754 Posts
i've run both.

you are getting a much better kit going with boostlogic. all the components are much higher quality than the greddy parts. and like the guys said, you can easily upgrade turbo sizing on the BL kit.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I've had both. I like the Greddy much better. The kit is complete. No running around to the hardware store, no grinding parts to get them to fit. I installed it with no problems at all. The BL retro fit was a PITA and I had to keep calling to get parts they forgot to send me. It was also a total rip-off. $2800 for a 67, DP, an IC pipe and some hardware. The kit was delivered late and incomplete with no communication. I don't like BL at all personally.

I think the BL header is a little better steel. But the greddy is good enough quality. You should coat the header anyway.

The BL kit has you reusing alot of old hardware like the header studs. The greddy kit comes with nice new SS studs. All new hardware.

BL didn't even give me a T4 gasket and told me to re-use the old Greddy one. It was junk and I had to find a new one and buy it.

·
OG
754 Posts
thats too bad.

it sounds like you had some issues with the retro kit. from what i've seen they are pretty good at taking care of any issues. when i purchased a new complete turbo kit, it included everything I needed. I didnt have to go the the hardware store once. :D

the BL header is definitely stronger and has the good thermal coating. most of the greddy headers always get a crack somewhere since the tubing is much thinner.

the BL downpipes are better too. the 3 inch BL setup has a flex section. also, the greddys always rust up like crazy due to the cheap steel their downpipes are made from.

it would be nice to have some new studs, but its that really plays a minimal factor in the overall quality & durability of the kit in the long run.

·
Registered
980 Posts
My Greddy header has been on the car for 5 years and looks brand new and is crack free. It was jet-hot extreme 2000 coated. Both the DP and header look great (although I'm not using the greddy DP). That shouldn't be an issue. Just about any steel will show signs of rust if not coated.

Glad you like your kit. I feel like I got robbed.

Worn out rusted old hardware doesn't look good and is difficult to rework. For what you pay for their kit you should get all new SS hardware.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
isn't bl kit just a knock off? Who makes the turbo?

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I'd get a BL kit personally. 67mm DBB kit 4" midpipe/downpipe for upgrade reasons if need be, you're also not using an older out dated turbo with the BL kit.

·
Papichulin
305 Posts
100% on the Greddy T78! I believe it's excellent quality, excellent drivability, it's not laggy at all, it hits hard of course (it's a lot of power), it's easily controlled too, and IMO looks much better. If it's not good because it's old school then let's all sell our Supras. Mine with the Greddy made 550whp on pump gas and 660whp on race gas mix to 104oct on first dyno outing with a new CC clutch (no break in if that makes any diff, I'm told it could) and spinning a bit on the rear tires. Tuner could be more aggressive with the AEM mapping.

We've had many cars from our mechanic running the Greddy turbos without any issues. For many many years. Fastest right now on a T78 made a 9.5s quarter mile and consistently on the mid 9s territory with 264 cams and stock intake mani. Not the best 60 feet times. The other one with a similar setup had a tranny issue between the 1/8 mile mark and shut down before the finish line (being worked on right now) but made a 10.0s pass with a 60' of 1.44s. Both cars are very user friendly and could be daily driven.

At least on my car it's all smooth sailing all the way to redline (pulling violently:) ). I love my turbo setup and do not see any reason to look elsewhere. They are not as expensive bc it's not BB mumbo jumbo and because it's been around for a long time. Again, IMO, for the kind of power we are making I absolutely do not believe this is a laggy turbo at all. Tried a T88-33D as well before the T78 and really, for a 6sp, it's drivable and very usable on the street as well btw.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
100% on the Greddy T78! I believe it's excellent quality, excellent drivability, it's not laggy at all, it hits hard of course (it's a lot of power), it's easily controlled too, and IMO looks much better. If it's not good because it's old school then let's all sell our Supras. Mine with the Greddy made 550whp on pump gas and 660whp on race gas mix to 104oct on first dyno outing with a new CC clutch (no break in if that makes any diff, I'm told it could) and spinning a bit on the rear tires. Tuner could be more aggressive with the AEM mapping.

We've had many cars from our mechanic running the Greddy turbos without any issues. For many many years. Fastest right now on a T78 made a 9.5s quarter mile and consistently on the mid 9s territory with 264 cams and stock intake mani. Not the best 60 feet times. The other one with a similar setup had a tranny issue between the 1/8 mile mark and shut down before the finish line (being worked on right now) but made a 10.0s pass with a 60' of 1.44s. Both cars are very user friendly and could be daily driven.

At least on my car it's all smooth sailing all the way to redline (pulling violently:) ). I love my turbo setup and do not see any reason to look elsewhere. They are not as expensive bc it's not BB mumbo jumbo and because it's been around for a long time. Again, IMO, for the kind of power we are making I absolutely do not believe this is a laggy turbo at all. Tried a T88-33D as well before the T78 and really, for a 6sp, it's drivable and very usable on the street as well btw.
Glad to hear. I just posted a thread in the members rides section with pictures of mine that came in yesterday. I can't wait to get this thing installed and tuned with fuel and cams. 600+ hear I come.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Mine with the Greddy made 550whp on pump gas and 660whp on race gas mix to 104oct on first dyno outing with a new CC clutch (no break in if that makes any diff, I'm told it could) and spinning a bit on the rear tires. Tuner could be more aggressive with the AEM mapping.
With only 104 octane I wouldn't get agressive with the timming and would not go over 18psi. The stock ECU pulled timming at 20psi using straight 105 octane when I had my T78. 104 is not enough octane for 660rwhp. Be careful.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
With only 104 octane I wouldn't get agressive with the timming and would not go over 18psi. The stock ECU pulled timming at 20psi using straight 105 octane when I had my T78. 104 is not enough octane for 660rwhp. Be careful.
I'm confused I thought he said he had aem when he made the pull with 104 octane and put down 660.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I removed the Greddy T78 Turbo for a 61mm.

The turbo uses stone age technology.

If anything, buy the kit, and sell the Greddy T78...Pickup a GT42R and call it a day.

·
2jz powered
1,674 Posts
I removed the Greddy T78 Turbo for a 61mm.

The turbo uses stone age technology.

If anything, buy the kit, and sell the Greddy T78...Pickup a GT42R and call it a day.
Stone age technology or not, you can't deny that it still gives the newer turbos a run for there money. Lets compare a 67dbb turbo to a t78. I pulled the t78 dyno from moreboost.org and the 67dbb from the dyno section. Both dynos are at 30/31psi, both turbos make 300tq by 4k. This stone age technology turbo seem to do pretty good :).

T78 31psi

67dbb 30/31psi

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
614 rwhp through the MAF at 27# with my T78. The only thing I don't like is if I wanted to change the turbo I'd need an entire new dp/mid pipe set up. Another $900.

·
Papichulin
305 Posts
Timing is conservative. It's making those numbers, it's running rich and knock sensors are not giving me any red flags on pump. At 26psi where the 660whp ocurred (rechecked) it was 107.4 octane mix (3gal C16 at 117oct plus 2gal 93oct, is 107.4, correct?). Great AFR on the dyno and on the FJO wideband.

·
Papichulin
305 Posts
I'm confused I thought he said he had aem when he made the pull with 104 octane and put down 660.
Yep! AEM. But I was incorrect on the octane mix so wen to Tony (too many mechanics with that name? LOL!) and rechecked.

Jeje, laughed at me because I was the one who made the mix. It was a 5gal thing and there were 3gal of C16 before filling it to the higher 5gal mark.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts