Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1200hp bottom end as per pictures, comes with tomei oil pump, high capacity sump, 1500hp front damper, water pump, cam belt, idler tensioner bearings
This is the same internal spec bottom end as my 1400hp, 7.2 second dragster, 7.8 second 240z, the Stealth Bomber, The BORG, JE Special and many others.

We can then add a BRAND NEW RB26 head filled with all new tomei components, world class porting etc nzd11,500.

We can then add a full TO4z turbo kit, new HKS manifold, new 50mm Progate wastegate, the turbo only has very little work (mint condition) comes with new oil and water lines, dump pipe, screamer pipe, gaskets etc. nzd7500

Here's a vid of the same combination in a full weigth R33 street GTR, bogged 1.9 second 60ft and still a 10.5 @ 139mph!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaR_aupgy1o

·
Super Moderator
10,255 Posts
Looks damn fancy - do the RB guys run billet mains/block girdles? Why such a small (67mm) turbo on a "1200hp" bottom end?

It'd be fun to see a cost-by-cost comparison of building a 1200hp 3.0L RB vs a 1200hp 3.0L 2JZ-GTE.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Yeah, those guys down under always seem to use off-the-shelf turbos from HKS or Greddy. Maybe they need a good Precision or Turbonetics distributor down there... :dunno: That engine above needs a GT55 or something on it.

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Why not compare 1200hp builds at stock displacement for both motors so the RB can stand a chance?
:scratch: Wouldn't allowing the RB to use 3.0L of displacement give it a chance?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
:scratch: Wouldn't allowing the RB to use 3.0L of displacement give it a chance?
He was saying he wanted to do a cost comparison of the two motors... Having to stroke one motor and not the other is a huge handicap. We know both motors can take the power so that isn't the issue.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
RB30 is 3.0, what are you talking about? Either way I don't see the RB build being cheaper though.
I wasn't aware Nissan offered an RB30.... I'm only familiar with the motors that came in the r32-r34. Based on some quick research it looks like all of the OEM RB30's were single cam motors so it probably doesn't make a very good starting point unless you plan on swapping heads (if its even possible). The post above mentioned a cost based comparison so this would be another big handicap against the RB.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I wasn't aware Nissan offered an RB30.... I'm only familiar with the motors that came in the r32-r34. Based on some quick research it looks like all of the OEM RB30's were single cam motors so it probably doesn't make a very good starting point unless you plan on swapping heads (if its even possible). The post above mentioned a cost based comparison so this would be another big handicap against the RB.
Rb30 accepts rb20, 25, 26 heads. Bolt holes are the same, they will use the gasket for the proper cylinder head. Head bolts are 11mm same as the rb25. A new longer timing belt configuration from an Audi and second tensioner are required with a DOHC config. They are more expensive than a 2jz in some sense... I own a 30 and see price comparisons...They make built mains for the RB30, however the dude who owns RIPS ran stock main bolts, girdle, crank when he was making those numbers which was done for over 3 years at 9-10,000rpm and ~1200-1400hp.

The rb30 came in a family sedan and can make some serious power much like the 2jz relatively reliably.

·
GT-R guy
490 Posts
Looks damn fancy - do the RB guys run billet mains/block girdles? Why such a small (67mm) turbo on a "1200hp" bottom end? .
No. The RB26 has a one piece main girdle. The RB30 does not.

There is even a diesel block - an RD28. 2.8 liter- inline 6.

·
Banned
4,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
There was an RB30ET in the VL Commodore. This can be mated to RB26 heads.

There are also OS Giken RB30 and RB32 engines and a few others.

Looks damn fancy - do the RB guys run billet mains/block girdles? Why such a small (67mm) turbo on a "1200hp" bottom end?
Over-engineered for reliability and didn't want a crappy torque curve that only ramps up at 7000rpm. I'm guessing it's primarily a street engine.

·
Registered
698 Posts
End of the day its still an RB....it will eventually die after a few runs. RB's are popular here. RB30 came in the VL Commodore (Holden) that was stolen from the R31 Skyline and Nissan Patrols.

Yeah we still run mainly Trust or HKS turbos, alot of ppl running Garrets too due to cost, but yeah Precision etc is not big here...im keen to try one out to replace my GT35r.

One of my best friends here building an RB27, with T04z. Make good power but not reliable...

·
Registered
111 Posts
It is hard to tell by the specs shown but the turbo selection leads me to believe that this is a track orientated car / set up. As a general rule the fastest RB's 1/4-mile wise are pretty much all 2.7-2.8L using the low-deck block. The RB30's extra displacement + longer stroke really shine when more low-end torque is needed - great for track work and better response on the street. Add in a fast spooling turbo that will max at about 700awhp and you've got a beast.

IIRC the bore and stroke of the RB30 was the exact same as the stock 2JZ. Kinda wonder why no one has made a billett 3.4L stroker crank for the RB30 like they do for the 2JZ. That would be pretty cool IMHO.

·
Money Power Respect
1,008 Posts
It is hard to tell by the specs shown but the turbo selection leads me to believe that this is a track orientated car / set up. As a general rule the fastest RB's 1/4-mile wise are pretty much all 2.7-2.8L using the low-deck block. The RB30's extra displacement + longer stroke really shine when more low-end torque is needed - great for track work and better response on the street. Add in a fast spooling turbo that will max at about 700awhp and you've got a beast.

IIRC the bore and stroke of the RB30 was the exact same as the stock 2JZ. Kinda wonder why no one has made a billett 3.4L stroker crank for the RB30 like they do for the 2JZ. That would be pretty cool IMHO.
I think because the block depth is pretty much maxed out at 3.0l, since it is the same block as the RB26, which is 2.6l. Wondering if the block could be bored a little though?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts