Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i think i have the Saab BOV, not too sure about that, BUT here's the problem, if i just start boosting, ie 3000 rpm, and hold the rpm in that range i get a weird sound....kinda hard to describe it...but anyway, it only started happening after i put the Bosch in teh car, now i checked the turbo before and nothing major for shaft play....it also works fine when boosting normally, only when i hold it steady at 2.8K-3.2K about .... so is it just sticking or something? and it being plastic inside u think i'd be safe to just spray some cleaner inside?

Andriy

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, like that only louder, and keeps going.....so that's normal?

Andriy

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I could only get mine to go for like 5-7 seconds... scared the shit outta some people though

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys have your Bosch BOV mounted? I have mine the way they are in OE installs (vac nipple horizontal). Most others seem to have them the other way (vac nipple pointed up). I don't think mine makes this noise. I have the Porsche version with the brass diaphragm (I think it's brass). I wonder if there's a noise difference between the two versions.

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Have the nipple facing up, but I have never heard the owl hooting sound. I wonder if it has anything to do with the stock airbox, which I still have.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have mine with the nipple pointing up and a K&N FIPK. I don't hear the hoot owl noise, but more of a whooshing sound under the hood when on/off the throttle. Its not a chirping BOV sound like you hear on a lot of poser turbo cars, but more of a "rush of air sound".

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
white_mk_2 said:
Just out of curiosity, how do you guys have your Bosch BOV mounted? I have mine the way they are in OE installs (vac nipple horizontal). Most others seem to have them the other way (vac nipple pointed up). I don't think mine makes this noise. I have the Porsche version with the brass diaphragm (I think it's brass). I wonder if there's a noise difference between the two versions.
I think the reason that some ppl hear it and some don't is that some are from Saabs and some are teh Porsches, and the latter ones are the better ones and don't make the sound....i doubt it ha anything to do with the intake setup.

Andriy

·
Registered
318 Posts
What Trowa said makes sense. Mine is the Porsche spec (whatever that means) Bosch. I just bought it a few weeks ago.

Dale H
87T

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
one of em have plastic internals, and one has metal internals... funny enough my plastic one outlasted the metal one... im pretty sure the porsche one is the metal one... but yea i have mine with the nipple pointing up, works great :D sounds really good too

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
It's the Saab spec one that makes the noise. I've had mine mounted in several different configurations, and it's always made that noise.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Yeah i also have the saab spec one that hoots. But.. someone noted that theirs makes a rushing air sound or "woosh" when operating. Mine does that but it more so flutters than one solid gust. Is that normal? or am i hearing compressor surge? Even with the stock BOV and switching to this one it has always fluttered so i haven't thought anything of it. Haven't ridden in another mk3 to verify the sound either.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Theres a part # on the side of the bov, 103 is the Saab, and 110 means you have the Porsche bov. I had the same problem with the hooting sound and it also fluttered. So I just put my stock one back on.

·
United States of America
1,469 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts