Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read many threads on FIC, Injector dynamics and other injectors however I would like to know what are the cons of running standard Bosch EV14 injectors? They are more than half the price of aftermarket injectors. Are they really worth double the price? Do the standard Bosch injectors struggle to idle compared to FIC/ID?

·
handy with the steel
392 Posts
Disclaimer: All information herein is based on things I've read online - not actual firsthand experience.

With that out of the way - Bosch makes good stuff. Some aftermarket injectors are just bored out - rebranded Bosch units. Injector Dynamics seems to have some kind of professional relationship with Bosch, although I'm not sure of the exact nature.

One potential issue you might run into with running regular Bosch injectors instead of IDs (for example) is the Bosch units might not be designed/rated for E85 use...you would definitely want to verify if it is your intent to run an ethanol fuel.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
That site doesn't say anything about flow matching them. Keep in mind both FIC and ID recalled the original 1700cc bosch injectors. They would get warm and the fuel flow would lower because they were designed for natural gas vehicles. Both ID and FIC now have their own stainless internals on the 1650/1700x injectors.

There are some injectors are there are virtually identical to off the shelf Bosch injectors. However with the amount of revised 1650/1700cc injectors the two companies have had, I would probably steer away from off the shelf injectors in this size. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wouldn't put FIC and ID in the same category. ID works directly with Bosch. FIC has been taking smaller injectors and drilling them out for many years to achieve higher flow rates but this does nothing to address the injector's ability to open/close at a certain rate. ID injectors are superior I don't care what anyone has installed in their car or what anyone on a forum says.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So I found these Bosch injector 1700cc/3bar 0280158827 which cost $480 for a set of 6 injectors, fully compatible with ethanol. The same size by injector dynamics are $1,740.00 for ID1700X.

I am curious if anyone can help justify the $1,260 difference...
In that link they have a line item for a single dead time value at a single voltage. This is not how deadtime works at all. If you set up a set of injectors in an ECU that's any bit of decent then you will have an entire table of deadtime values to map..... most mostly the 8-14v cells being the ones that matter because your car never really operates outside of those voltages.

Also, how do you know those are legit Bosch injectors? Remember "walboro" pumps being sold that looked legit but were just copies. I am not saying the ones you linked are copies of Bosch injectors, but when you're not buying directly from Bosch, how do you know?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
George, there are two systems on a car that, in my mind, are critical systems. The fuel system, and the ECU system. The rest of the car is pretty durable and in many cases, can tolerate imperfection, but... if your fuel system or ECU fails on you, things have a not-so-funny way of getting expensive in a hurry.

I'm not saying that Bosch makes anything less than quality, but if I were in your shoes, I'd be reaching out to ID as well as Bosch with your inquiry. They would likely be able to explain the difference in price, far better than fellow enthusiasts on a forum could. Good luck to you in sorting this out. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just to update this for anyone searching for the same answer in the future. Decided to go for ID1700X and not panic every-time I am in boost worrying if the injector flow rate is way off in one or more cylinders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts