Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car wouldnt start today, so i pulled a plug to test for a spark, but when i took it out, the bottom half was drenched in oil. all 6 of them are like that. i know it isnt from the valve cover gaskets cause there about brand new and there was no oil in the spark plug valleys. could anyone tell me what it could be ?? maybe the rings going out ? i really apprecite any help. thanks !

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
I think its your rings.....But Im not sure, Im still kinda new to this car...

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
could be bad valves as well....

do a search tons of info on this topic and every scenerio is talked about....

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Valve seals are more likely. Ever been changed? What year is the car? What's the mileage on the engine?

Combustion in the cyliders is usually enough to keep large amounts of oil or coolant out in case of a leak. Valve seals are the exception to this, as the valves themselves shield the seals from high pressure. They are also one of the only places where oil can leak down into your cylinders when the engine is off.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the car cranked up, but died all the sudden after about 15 secs. wouldnt start again causse the plugs were soaked in oil.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have the same problem. My car is sitting in the driveway because of that problem. I had it checked out by a shop here that specializes in Toyota and Lexus. He told me that I have oil blowing by the cylinders, coating my spark plugs and he checked the compression in the first 2 cylinders and it is very low(115) or around there. The valve cover gaskets leak, but not enough to cause my problem. He told me to rebuild or replace the engine. Let me know if you hear anything different.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since it is all the spark plugs, I would think it was your valve cover gasket/valve seals. (more than likely the gakets)

Blow by doesn't usually happen in ALL the cyl. But an easy way to check for that is to get the compression checked.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car would not start and it turned out to be the CSI cap had some cracks in it, so I got some electrical cleaner and cleaned it put the cap back on, put some new plugs in and It was fine. I agree that you should check your compresion in all 6 cylinders to see if blow-by is your problem but I had the same thing happen and blow-by was not the issue, I just fouled out the plugs trying to get it started. I hope this is your problem. Otherwise it is time for a rebuild. Hope this helps.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know it isnt te plugs cause i switched them twice and theres no way it could be caused from the valve cover gaskets, cause its only getting drenched in oil on the bottom half thats in the head. If the valve seals were leaking, it wouldnt drench the plugs within less than 15 secs would it ? looks to me the piston rings are prolly shot. i appreciate everyones help.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Depends on how badly the valve seals are screwed up. :) That much blow by on the rings should show other symtoms as well. Like severe pressure from the dipstick when running. Tough to check when you can't get it running, though. :(

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
two words:
COMPRESSION CHECK
and do the oil-up trick. If compression is low and does not go up with a couple ounces of oil in the cylinders, it means that you might be let off easy with just a valve stem seal job. If its low and goes up with a couple ounces of oil in the cylinders, start saving up for a rebuild or a new engine.

·
MadPhotoCat
618 Posts
Are rebuilds more recommended than replacing the bottom end? I'm getting pretty close to time in making that costly decision. And I'm sure it may be an arm and a leg. Love my car, gotta fix it! :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts