Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cant find my flamesuit...uh oh...

Yep, a Harley. Sportster 1200 Low to be exact. I wanted to try a crusier, and with the insane resale value and smoking year end blowout price I couldnt say no. I looked at metric cruisers, but they have crap resale values. I'll be out of this bike in a year probably, so resale is very important.

Rubber mount engine = smooth ride, last year of carbs (cheap to mod) , slammed from the factory and a cool pearl white. It was redesigned in 04, making it look less gay. I hate to say this, but its extremely comfortable and fun to putt around on. :1poke:

Time to grow a mullet ;)

the old school style: (shotrer whelbase, high mount peanut tank etc)
http://cyclestar.com/Listings/Machines/grfx/67-0-2.jpg

·
Ex MKIV Owner
329 Posts
Hey, if it makes you happy who gives a flying fuck what anyone else thinks!

Congrats on the purchase.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
I think it looks great, those metric cruisers all look so generic and uninspired. Atleast with this bike you are driving something that looks the way it does out of tradition and not a fad.

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im probably going to get some custom 40 spoke black wheels and of course pipes and FW controls are on the way.

I agree on the Metric cruisers...as much as the Shadow Sabre is a 'better' bike on paper, I couldnt bring myself to buy it. Im not a HD fanboi/mullet or anything, but the Honda just didnt have 'it' I guess.

Busa will be my next ride, just searching for the right deal. I just like to try different bikes. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Nice looking ride man. I loved the sporster, but it would vibrate my arms to the point it felt like I had ants crawling all over my arms. If the engine is rubber mounbted, maybe it's a smoother ride. Beautifull bike.

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

Busa: This is nothing like the old Sportsters, thank god! Im really not sure when they waited till 2004 to make the ride smooth (rubber mount) but whatever. they are going to sell 360,000 bikes this year so they know more than me :)

I'm also going to lower the front another inch or so, the kit is cheap and it will get rid of the dreaded ass sag ya get with stock HDs.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Powder coat the exhaust black, and for the love of jeebus do a chain drive conversion.

Other than that, fun little scoot. Friend of mine has one with all kinds of goodies (Buell heads, high comp slugs, forged wheels, twin discs, etc) and it hauls a surprising amount of ass.

Heavy as a boat anchor and handles like a dead horse, but those things are about highway cruising anyway. :)

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
530 lbs, baby. The Softails are 650lbs! Anyways, I got it to putt around the city on. I was thinking about black exhaust, we will see what I come up with. Its hard finding HD pipes that dont sound like typical HD pipes ;) I'm leaning twd a 2-1 exhaust now.

I was surprised with the power some mods can make on these smaller twins. Plenty of guys on the forum running around with almost [email protected] the tire and similar TQ. 80 ftlbs at the tire with an exhaust/aircleaner seems typical. Anyways, I didnt buy it to go fast, but TQ is fun to have. :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
God I hate those things and the image that they exude.

Most annoying piece of machinery man has ever created.

A guy in the townhouse complex next to me starts his up at 7:00 on a saturday morning and lets it idle for 10-15 minutes. Then he revs it for another 5 minutes and hauls ass out. He knows he is waking up just about everyone, but thats exactly what he wants to do.

They need to be outlawed.

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stoker: every year, they sell 350,000 bikes-- remember that ;) If you look at the current demographic of HD buyers, you will see that many probably have more education and income than you (or me) and our friends. Im a white collar, non tough guy who makes a great living...and Im not trying to fit in with any 'image'

I also hate the guys who rev their bikes every 2 seconds, but whatever - they are harmless. I like them more than the ricers going 100 from stop light to stop light in the city. If you live in any larger city, you will know what I mean about the 'stereotypical' sport bike rider. Id take the stereotypical HD clown over them any day of the week. Of course, I strongly prefer the ladies sitting on the back of the sport bikes ;)

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
Sportsters are cute

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Loud pipes save lives.

In fact, mine saved mine just this morning when some bluehair was more or less asleep at the wheel of her escalade and started wandering into my lane. A 10k drop into third woke her the fuck up. :rofl:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Simba said:
Loud pipes save lives.

In fact, mine saved mine just this morning when some bluehair was more or less asleep at the wheel of her escalade and started wandering into my lane. A 10k drop into third woke her the fuck up. :rofl:
I hope you were not speaking of a Harley with the 10 K downshift!!
Len

·
'85 SDR 7MGTE 5sp
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
aNskY said:
:stupid:

told myself id never own a hardley... but i kinda want a vrod :sadance:
Arent you a little fella? For big dudes, Sportsters are wrong. Im gonna dyno this roach after some mods. A dude on the forum did some mods on an older engine and made more TQ than my Ducati 1000 and almost as much HP at the tire. Im in no way saying its 'better' than my old Duc, but I was really surprised to see that kinda power out of this engine.

The VROD is cool, but pricey. I'll prob get one of those eventually too. This bike thing is a real addiction. :1poke:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
im little? 6'0 195. not the biggest but too big for a sportster :ugh2:

at least you snagged a 1200 and not the 883 ;)

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Len94bpu said:
I hope you were not speaking of a Harley with the 10 K downshift!!
No, the Termis on my Ducati are about as loud, though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts