Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. Looking forward to getting to know all of you and even meeting up in the future. I finally got the car I've always wanted. I just got a 97 Supra Twin Turbo 6 Speed. I need a shop that's reliable and knows Supras. Any suggestions? I can use pointers on what parts to get too.

·
IG UPDATES @ #BADMTHRFUKR
1,936 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and a Big Congrats on finding your Dream car

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum. Looking forward to getting to know all of you and even meeting up in the future. I finally got the car I've always wanted. I just got a 97 Supra Twin Turbo 6 Speed. I need a shop that's reliable and knows Supras. Any suggestions? I can use pointers on what parts to get too.
What is your goal for the car? Let's start there, because there are far too many options, HP levels and parts to choose from and everyone is different...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you everyone. I'm aiming for a drivable car that I will use quite often. I also want to maintain its value so most likely nothing crazy. 500-600hp will be plenty. I will do coilovers and wheels for sure. As far as engine work, I'm still debating if I want to deal with the strict CA emissions. Pretty much anything I do will already cause the car to fail Smog.

·
Boost Creep
3,491 Posts
Any pics of the car?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Welcome and congrats to busting into the MKIV ownership scene :) How many miles are on the car?....how rough is the car, or not?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haven't had a chance to have a photo shoot yet because I just picked up the car but here are some rough photos I snapped with my phone while picking up the car. It's actually in very good condition. Will need some paint work and interior upgrades. Has 135K miles on it. Drives great with no mechanical issues to my knowledge, Will go into the shop for a detailed exam soon.

https://goo.gl/photos/ZU9uQoiCpKoePrpg6
https://goo.gl/photos/82sko21SRwTJUtyy8
https://goo.gl/photos/1jUVzZVzgLfFj6rb9
https://goo.gl/photos/RdDQBRcPAsXoHTf69

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics posted but waiting for approval so my post isn't showing yet. Car is in pretty good shape. 135K miles on it though. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. I feel at home already

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Looking for a local CA shop or willing to have car travel? 2JZMotorsports is in southern Salt Lake City.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ideally I'd like a local CA shop. I'm leaning towards getting the engine running healthy and getting wheels and coilovers first along with the cosmetic stuff. Then having some fun with the engine later on. Everyone is telling me as soon as I touch the engine it won't pass CA emissions.

·
Going for broke
622 Posts
Your man to talk to is Stu Hagen. I suggest you go the route of upgraded stock twins with the ability to stay CA legal. Talk to him (He's in WA) and you'll find the best route.

However, if money is an issue, just go intercooler, exhaust, intake, wastegate spring mod, true twin conversion (TTC mode) with a boost cut controller, and go enjoy the car forever! It's effective, fun, and "stock." Because once you go single (besides the large upfront cost to pay someone to do it), you'll be spending a lot of money tweaking it constantly and avoiding the law. My best advice is to stay BPU for as long as you can...I didn't listen and I've bought another MKIV just modifying my MKIV lol

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kev, Thanks for the advice. My concern is always the CA emissions laws. If I can get more power and still stay legal and stock, that would be my first choice. Honestly I don't think I will be doing anything hardcore. I just want to enjoy the car for what it is and admire it's beauty. Of course it's almost a crime not to mod a Supra so I do want something. How do I get a hold of Stu Hagen?
I did try to post some photos but it's telling me I need approval from a moderator first. It's been 2 weeks. I guess they don't wanna approve me.

464 Posts
Stu is in Washington, not Cali. I am in process of installing Hybrid turbos - as we speak my car is in the shop. THE Shop to talk to is FSR Motorsport Creations in Upland. Talk to Alex or Ian, they are the best and will tell you straight up what you need to know if you ask the right questions. They are the best around here, but not the only option.

Modifying ANYTHING, even going with an upgraded open air intake is illegal in Cali. So nobody is going to give you advice openly about how to get 500 horsepower and pass smog. Hate to burst your bubble but I was in the same boat when I bought mine last year. Do your own research by searching these forums and talking to individuals, and then make your choice once you are ready. Also if you are planning to run pump 91 octane, you will probably be limited to around 425 to 450 HP even with Stu Twins, give or take depending on what mods you do to the engine, and what type of tune. Only way to get closer or to exceed 500 hp with Stu Twins would be to do some fuel system upgrades, and tune on better quality fuel than pump 91 octane, such 100 octane, or race gas. However anyone being honest with you will tell you that trying to get the maximum HP on shitty 91 octane is not healthy for the engine, and usually pushes the limits of running too lean and pre-detonation, and will shorten the lifespan of your engine. So tune your engine to a safe level and don't try to reach a number... such as 500 hp.

I currently have an Apexi Neo AFC piggy back ecu for tuning. This is probably good enough for you and wont break the bank compared to MAP ecu or standalone. Upgrade your turbos, adjustable cam gears, boost cut control, electronic boost controller, downpipe and open air intake will be needed if you want to get anywhere near your goal of 500 hp... but it will not pass smog, since the inspection will fail on any of these things, even if it passes the sniffer... and it won't unless you stay stock with full cats and this will limit your HP with stock exhaust and cats.

Hint, hint, talk to people who know some good smog facilities, and you may find your answer(s) to passing smog or not. Good luck.

P.S. try photobucket to copy and paste some photos of your new ride.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow that was a lot of good info. Thanks for taking the time to do that. There's definitely tons of research I need to and will be doing. I'm new to the Supra world. I'm gonna start with wheels and coilovers first. Engine stuff will come later after more research. Let me try posting some pics through photo bucket

·
Going for broke
622 Posts
Brian nailed it...sorry, I posted wrong state for Stu lol. His name is Stu Hagen on the forums, just message him if you want.
You will be very hard pressed to pass CA smog with anything modified cause they hate fun. I don't live out there, but I also don't pass emissions here in CT either, so my car is registered in MA with my parents address haha. It's exempt there due to age (WIN!).
I forgot that CA only has pump gas 91 octane and not 93 like we have out here...you will struggle to reach 500 without going single and standalone with fuel system, especially safely.

Your best option for staying truly legal is to pursue ways to help the stock system be less restricted (boost cut controller, cat back exhaust leaving stock downpipes, STU twins for better reliability than the OEM, true twin conversion, etc)...good luck man and don't hesitate to ask people! Also, I asked for you to be allowed to post pictures, so you should be good to go now.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts