Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I bought a supra in VA and it will arrive in 2 weeks. The seller told me he's taking the current tags off (I don't know if this is required by his DMV).

According to the Collin County website, before I can register the car at the county tax-assessor in McKinney, TX, I'll need to get it inspected for safety and emissions. But how do you do that without tags? Is there a grace period that you can drive around without tags? Do I need to get some temp tags? I'll call them tomorrow for info but more than that I appreciate any hands-on help from people who know.

It's a 1998 TT and it's BPU. So no cats. Any idea if they'll give me a hard time with the emissions test or if some places *cough* are easier than others *cough* if you *cough* 'persuade' them?

I'm new to texas as well, only been here 3 months. Am new to the USA as a matter of fact so I don't know my way around very well yet :D

It's a quicksilver BTW so +1 for TX :bigthumb:

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,078 Posts
he should have left the tags on the car... when i bought mine the guy didnt. but by law he should have...

·
98 RSP TT
2,533 Posts
when i got mine, it had not tags or registration. I went to a inspection place first, and then went to the DMV. most places dont care as long as you have money.

·
Bad Texan Boy
4,266 Posts
Congruts :bigthumb:

R

·
0 Posts
What Eric said.....even in state, they still want you to get a new inspection at the time of purchase for you safety and their benefit....

·
Registered
342 Posts
Its easy. Done it several times. Take the car with proof of insurance to the inspection garage and tell them you need a "green sheet inspection." They will inspect it, put on an inspection sticker, and provide a green form that you can then take to get it registered.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
db1115 said:
Its easy. Done it several times. Take the car with proof of insurance to the inspection garage and tell them you need a "green sheet inspection." They will inspect it, put on an inspection sticker, and provide a green form that you can then take to get it registered.

Thanks, sounds simple enough :D But can I drive there without tags? And officially they should probably fail me on the catless downpipe, so I gotta find someplace where they'll look the other way or something... anyone know someone? :)

Here she is btw: http://home.grandecom.net/~stefanp/supra_pics/qs1.jpg

·
Registered
342 Posts
cherzra said:
Thanks, sounds simple enough :D But can I drive there without tags? And officially they should probably fail me on the catless downpipe, so I gotta find someplace where they'll look the other way or something... anyone know someone? :)

When I took my supra (a Lousiana car) they never tested emissions. Its a good thing because it had no cats either. You can drive it without tags for 30 days after purchase. You might need a copy of the title and may have to do some explaining if stopped though.

·
Registered
665 Posts
NO!! you can't drive any car in texas without Tags AND Registration!NO cop will let you walk =, especially if your in a sports car. The Registration office gives you the option of purchasing temporary Registration that lasts for thirty days so you can go get inspected. It costs 30 bucks and your time in line.Just explain to her that you need it to drive it over to any inspection shop. You also have the option to purchase the cheaper tag but it only lasts for either 10 or 14 days for like 10-20 bucks I forgot exactly since I bought the 30 day tag. Don't get caught with out plates!
Basil

·
Mods before Broads ;)
928 Posts
cherzra said:

Welcome to TX - home of the QS Supras :eek: Car looks bad ass.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts