Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
For Sale
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded from bone stock ct to a gt35r, and i have an HKS SSQV. before the upgrade, the BOV would make all the noises expected, like that high pitched noise we are all familiar with. NOW with the gt35r, it makes a new noise, kinda like its not even opening. when i boost hard and let off, it doesnt make the high pitched noise, it just makes a huge woosh sound (which may be normal, but ive never heard it before). i actually think its compressor surge. i have vac at the BOV line. also, with my car idling, if i rev it up and look in the BOV where the valve is, i can see the valve move when i let of the throttle. any ideas?

Thank you

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
87_7MGTE said:
I just upgraded from bone stock ct to a gt35r, and i have an HKS SSQV. before the upgrade, the BOV would make all the noises expected, like that high pitched noise we are all familiar with. NOW with the gt35r, it makes a new noise, kinda like its not even opening. when i boost hard and let off, it doesnt make the high pitched noise, it just makes a huge woosh sound (which may be normal, but ive never heard it before). i actually think its compressor surge. i have vac at the BOV line. also, with my car idling, if i rev it up and look in the BOV where the valve is, i can see the valve move when i let of the throttle. any ideas?

Thank you

Reason for making the WHOOOSH sound is greater air volume due to the larger turbo. It is normal for a bigger turbo considering you want more air and power. The whistle you hear is from the smaller turbo not forcing the vavle to open extremely fast with greater force.

Valve at idle "maybe" again for the greater air volume.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
87_7MGTE said:
right i understand this, but the sound at high boost has a faint "compressor surgeish" sound, i.e. woooosh, shhh, shhhh, shhhhh

probley the smaller valve opening to let the reaminding air out or compressor surge. I hope this helped if not someone chime in :)

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
^ :werd: you may be able to get that original sound back by messing with the screw on the back... not sure

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
You have to find a new vacuum source. I had the same problem as you. Heres a pic of what i did. If you do this im bout 100% sure this will fix your problem.

You will have to get a t fitting adaptor that goes to the bigger hose to a smaller one. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Forgot to mention i have one line going to the afpr and one going to the hks bov which is mounted above my intercooler.

Edit: just try it for me. I had mine going to the back of the manifold before and it wouldnt work.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,130 Posts
Get a tial. :)

Nah, maybe even try cleaning it up, and checking the vacuum hose for pin hole leaks.
When I began getting surge, I replaced the vac line all together... and it stopped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts