Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am installing an HKS SSQV. How do I clip the C-Ring onto the flange?

·
Registered
9,759 Posts
with a pair of special pliers....cant remember the name of them though. Take the clip to an auto parts store and they can hook you up.

Jason

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jason and Collin, thanks guys. I modified a pair of surgical forceps (made the tip small enough to fit into the c-ring hole) but i guess the pliers will be easier on the hands than the forceps. It still seems like it will be a bitch to get in though. Guess we'll find out soon.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,100 Posts
Trust me just get the right tool for that snap ring, that thing is a bitch to get in. Once you get it in make sure you hear a pretty noticable snap that way its fully seated in the groove.

·
Hmmm Ya...
181 Posts
StickyRice said:
Trust me just get the right tool for that snap ring, that thing is a bitch to get in. Once you get it in make sure you hear a pretty noticable snap that way its fully seated in the groove.

I Second that, do it right the first time!

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, i went out and got the right tool. I think i got the ring in, but im not sure. Ive tried pushing the entire ring down and what wasn't in the slot, went down into the slot. However, I can still turn the bov 360 degrees, but the bov will not tilt. My question is, should the bov still be able to rotate (w/ a semi-medium force...like, it wont rotate w/o me making it rotate)? Thanks

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
anthracitetarga said:
ok, i went out and got the right tool. I think i got the ring in, but im not sure. Ive tried pushing the entire ring down and what wasn't in the slot, went down into the slot. However, I can still turn the bov 360 degrees, but the bov will not tilt. My question is, should the bov still be able to rotate (w/ a semi-medium force...like, it wont rotate w/o me making it rotate)? Thanks
I installed mine recently with new ring and gasket and it rotated too, but I would like an answer just in case from someone that is for sure that it is sappose to rotate a little.

·
Registered
593 Posts
StickyRice said:
agreed x 3. StickyRice is absolutely right, it was a PITA doing it at the shop until we used the right tool.

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,100 Posts
Did you use a brand new o ring should be red in color, if you did use a flathead and poke at the snap ring as much as you can to get it into its groove, cause once its seated properly it will be very very hard to rotate.

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Even w/ the proper snap ring tool it can still be a PITA to install. Once it's in its flange, it will be able to rotate 360, but it'll require a good amount of force. I'm against moving it much once it's in place in fear that it may wear out the ring gasket.

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, its installed, but its not very loud at all. I have the stock silver insert and many people complain about it being to ricey sounding, but mine doesn't really make much of a sound. It's hooked up to vent to the atmosphere too. The turbo is a sp61gt w/ .70 A/R. Any ideas guys?

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
location? what's it point to? how much boost?

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's located on the U bend intercoler pipe right by the bumper on the driver's side. I'm still on stock pressure, but my wastegate only has a .8 bar spring on it so I'm guessing around 11 psi until i get a bc. It's pointing away from the car, so in front of the car. I know its not the ideal spot for it, but this is where i was told to put it. Anyways, should it be making a sound even when the turbo is spooling at all? I mean, i hear bovs going off all the time when people just rev their engines, but when i rev mine, it doesn't make a sound either.

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Assuming it's in good working condition and getting vac. reference from an appropriate source, the adjustment of it should make some difference. It should be adjusted to a point where at 0psi, it should not be making any blowing off sounds. At 1 psi it should be audible.

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how do u go about adjusting it? its a newer model so theres no screw in the back

·
Mr. Brightside
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i assume the valve that is making the high pitch noise is only the second valve. I just bought this unti from titan brand new so there shouldn't be anythign wrong w/ it. maybe i have it hooked up to a poor source. where is the best source to hook it up to? (pics would be very helpful but...)

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
Oh. Then you can't adjust it. Source it directly off the intake manifold if you can. Tee it off your boost gauge if you must.

·
Digital DNA
353 Posts
Just so you know (I know you already got the C-Ring on), I too was having the same issue before, when I got my HKS SSQBOV. The outer housing of the BOV can be taken off by undoing the screws out of the little holes on the front of the BOV. Once the housing is off, the C-Ring is MUCH easier to put on.

·
Espresso Connoisseur
1,636 Posts
that's a great tip actually...never tried that, but i should next time as well!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts