Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for such a newb question, I was a N/A guy for a while but where do I install a BOV on the intercooler piping? Is it possible, it seems to be plastic...

·
Knockin the rod in slopra
811 Posts
for the weld on BOV you'll need to replace the ic piping with steel ones. although there are ones on the market which is direct replacement for the stock BOV (atmospherical and recirculating) which just plugs into the stock BOV outlet by the 3000 pipe (atmo kits comes with caps that cap off the outlet on the intake pipe).

I got my Turbo XS RFL(for free)(mounts on stock ic pipe) and very happy with the result since stock was failing.

·
239RWHP @ 9PSI
1,882 Posts
its like this little round thing with 2 1" hose connecting to your accordian piping.

·
Me
242 Posts
right by the pipe that says 3000 on it. there is a kit that horsepowere freaks makes. it comes with a hks ssqv bov already on a pipe that just inserts into the stock piping. otherwise youll have to get a steel pipe and get a flange welded onto it to hook up the bov.

·
811 Posts
not my car btw(googled pic) but you get the jist

·
811 Posts
ok i stopped being lazy and took my camera phone to my car....
this is direct fit stock replacement BOV on my car. no pipes or welding needed

·
Ask First Search Later
519 Posts
Heres mine, it's a Blitz Dual Drive Super Sound bov kit that replaces the stock plastic pipe right before the the 3000 pipe, very easy install. Heres pics:
Stock

Upgraded. Vents to atmosphere

·
811 Posts
if you're wanting to replace the stock IC pipe with the steel IC pipe, you're not gonna get it for cheap. but if you go my route(even tho mine was free) you can get the BOV for about 120-150 ish depending on if it comes with the right kit or not for your car. Both PIT and Turbo XS has them for about 120ish. thats the cheapest way to go.

·
Oh What A Feeling !!!
606 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mysupra87, where did you order your kit? And joker fuel, which one is yours on TurboXS.com? If you could post a link to them it would be awesome =) They both seem pretty easy to install, I just dont know which one will be better, im looking for something loud.

·
Ask First Search Later
519 Posts
MKIII owner said:
mysupra87, where did you order your kit? And joker fuel, which one is yours on TurboXS.com? If you could post a link to them it would be awesome =) They both seem pretty easy to install, I just dont know which one will be better, im looking for something loud.
I can't remeber where I got my kit from, but I'm bored so I researched for you, and right now 935 motosports.com has the cheapest price. Here's the link:
http://935motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=79_14_24&products_id=44
Oh yeah, it's somewhat loud, when you shift and let off the throttle you can hear a whooosh, but not too loud to where it's ricey or annoying.:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks alot, really appreciate it. Whats going to be the difference between the blitz and the Turbo XS? Performance wise..

·
Ask First Search Later
519 Posts
MKIII owner said:
Thanks alot, really appreciate it. Whats going to be the difference between the blitz and the Turbo XS? Performance wise..
You don't gain anything from an aftermarket BOV. It only helps prevent surge as the stock BOV sucks. Recirculating one's put the air back into the intake pipe, as ventinting to atmosphere releases it into the atmosphere. Some people have said venting to air will cause the car to stall due to lean conditiouns or rich conditions whichever one it is I can't remember, due to the AFM calculating that air being there which results in too much fuel and not enough air, but me personally have never had any problems. BUT just because it hasn't happened to me doesn't mean it won't happen to you. Oh and recirculating BOV's will not be loud. Think it through, decide which one would best fit you and get it!! :)

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
I've heard that if you vent to atmosphere, it throws off the ECU because you are venting already metered air? Doesn't this affect gas milage? Are there any other ill side effects to doing this?

Someone told me that the MAF and the ECU go nuts for just a second until the O2 sensor realizes the air isn't in the system anymore and that it will re-adjust.

·
Ask First Search Later
519 Posts
KingCobra said:
I've heard that if you vent to atmosphere, it throws off the ECU because you are venting already metered air? Doesn't this affect gas milage? Are there any other ill side effects to doing this?

Someone told me that the MAF and the ECU go nuts for just a second until the O2 sensor realizes the air isn't in the system anymore and that it will re-adjust.
For the minimul time that it runs lean(?) it won't affect gas milage that much. I'm not sure about the AFM and ECU going nuts, but I'm not sure. Like I said I've run mine and it runs fine, I've had no stalling or anything. I don't have a A/F gauge or wideband but I imagine it runs lean(?), but not enough to due any real damage.

·
Ask First Search Later
519 Posts
MKIII owner said:
The site says it may be on backorder, any other suggestions?
Call the number tomorrow and talk to the guy, I bought a muffler from there that said that it may be on back order and it ended up not being on backorder. But if that don't work, JSCSPEED.com has them for $289; Titanmotorsports.com and suprastore.com are both $284. There may be other places but thats all I checked. Also the HKS one is good to, I personally just didn't want the same one as everybody else, but it's all up to you.

·
*SNICKER SNICKER*
725 Posts
I think on Toyotas, it will run rich. Example, the MAF sees 20 units of air. The BOV let's say dumps 13 units of AIR, but the ECU expects it to be recirculated, not dumped. It doesn't know it's been dumped and still matches 20 units worth of fuel to that air it THINKS is still in the system. That would be a rich condition, and most people I know that have run it this way report black smoke come out of their exhaust during shifts.

A rich condition shouldn't harm the engine, but I just want to be sure that the O2 sensor is going to correct this false reading from the air being dumped so that my a/f ratio doens't stay rich.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts