Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BOV... How durable to road debris??

So, i really like the idea of mounting the BOV where the old SMIC was and facing out the front nose. However, i have some concerns.

I've got the SSQV and new custom tubing being built. I can put this thing Anywhere i would like. Turbo side, throttle side.... i've read all of that. :)

I'm more concerned about rock chips, freezing rain, and weather conditions. Right now, my Supra is my only car. I don't take it out on the snow, but i've been caught in it a few times with no other choice.

So, how resilient is this BOV? Would it be safe for a practicle day to day use to mount it somewhere where it can be effected by road conditions?

Thoughts??

Bryan

·
WI-FI FTW, GTFO fuse box!
8,108 Posts
leave it in the engine bay

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
I've had mine in the front air duct, visible from the street, and had no problems driving in the rain. That was with an HKS SS BOV.

I suggest to install the BOV in the passenger side air duct, but further up the pipe closer to the turbo. It'll still be nice and loud as it resonates within the duct area, and it'll be somewhat protected from the road elements.

Just make sure you protect the flange if it's steel. Clear over it, etc. Unless it's aluminum, then you should be ok.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
I've had an ssqv mounted facing out in that very location, driven through dust, dirt, and rain, and had no problems with it at all. It should be fine. However, that said, i've since moved mine to the engine bay, closer to the throttle body for better fitment. The space in that duct is now required for other things.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Many people have their blow off valves in the passenger side air duct with the valve itself facing forward. I never heard of anyone having any problems but if you're really paranoid about the elements then why not have it in that spot but have the valve not facing forward?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, Great!! thanks for the help. I was just wondering how much abuse these things could take. Sounds like they are pterry stout. Just to be safe, i'll mount it to where it will echo, but not be entirely visible and able to be Directly to the elements.

Bryan

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
I have my tial mounted a lil behind the radiator. its not a LOUD bov normaly... but trust me... even at 11 psi you HEAR it.

·
2 RiCh 4 Ur bLooD...SuPrA
601 Posts
i have mine on the driver's side air duct next to the fmic. i have had no probs, but yet the worst i would see is rain hehe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts