Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

occasionally i would hear this clattering noise after i boost and switch gears.

so basically it goes something like thisL

1. i boost to 6psi.
2. press clutch.
3. sometimes i hear a "whooosh!" sound but other times i hear "clack clack clack!"

any ideas on what this clacking noise is? it happens mostly during second gear to third. i have the stock bov, filter, cooleze downpipe, manual boost controller.

thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
tok said:
hi all,

occasionally i would hear this clattering noise after i boost and switch gears.

so basically it goes something like thisL

1. i boost to 6psi.
2. press clutch.
3. sometimes i hear a "whooosh!" sound but other times i hear "clack clack clack!"

any ideas on what this clacking noise is? it happens mostly during second gear to third. i have the stock bov, filter, cooleze downpipe, manual boost controller.

thanks!
sounds like the bov diaphram could be messing up, try and remove it if you have it on a removable flange and drive it to see if it stops.

fife

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks.

it is in the stock configuration. how would i test to see if it's working properly?
perhaps it's a good time to upgrade.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i was under the impression that it was upgraded already, sorry about that but your stock one has a diaphram as well, can you rev it by pressing the throttle in the engine bay so you can hear where its coming from, should it be the BOV or wastegate area, if your hearing a clack sound with a lack of a whoosh then it sounds like a diaphram, test with a jyard one as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
since it only occurs during boost, is there a way for me hit the throttle in the engine bay and create boost to test?

compressor surge? more details please. how would i take care of this problem then?

thanks

·
WhorE
504 Posts
how are you running only 6 psi of boost?? i dont have an mbc or any intercooler hard pipes and i see in between 7-9 lbs daily. To check your stock bov, take it off and try and blow through one end, if you can its garbage.

Wayne

·
Registered
689 Posts
if its stock it is garbage, i havent heard of a stock bov that still works properly

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
iheart6bangers said:
if its stock it is garbage,
that's a pretty ignorant thing to say..

i havent heard of a stock bov that still works properly
my dad's 97TT BOV works great, and so did mine until I went single a year ago and removed it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the clacking noise is present from 4 to 8+ psi but more so on 2nd gear.

again, it's not always there. i can hear a normal whoooosh from 4 to 8+ psi as well.

i'll test the stock bov first chance i get. but i'm assuming that bad bovs can cause compressor surge?

thanks!

·
Registered
689 Posts
SupraTico said:
that's a pretty ignorant thing to say..

my dad's 97TT BOV works great, and so did mine until I went single a year ago and removed it.

umm, this is an MK3 thread... ass...

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
well in that case, my friend's 89 had no probs with his either.. :dunno:

ass.. :rolleyes:

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
SupraTico said:
well in that case, my friend's 89 had no probs with his either.. :dunno:

ass.. :rolleyes:
Haha chill guys, the stock one does alright if it stays on stock boost. If not its easy to frag these things. If you need one ive got one for sale.

Tim

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just wanted to update that my stock bov was shot. i could blow right through it. replaced it with a bosch porsche spec and no more noise except for the great "whoosh!" sound. Problem solved!

also replaced the hoses that lead to the turbo (accordian hose) while i was there. does anyone have a source for these short bent hoses other than toyota? i replaced it with regular heater hose but it's a bit of a long mess.

thanks for all the help!

hiko

1 - 14 of 14 Posts