Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Canadian monster
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed a Tial BOV and it opens at idle, is it normal? When it does this, my car start to hunt for it's idle. I am still on MAF.

If the BOV is opened at idle, wouldn't it mess with the MAF signal since some air won't pass through the MAF? I understand that when you are on boost and let the gas off that the BOV will open and you might get some stalling issues but is it normal at idle?

Is it because my spring in the BOV is too weak?

·
1st Lieutenant Team BEYAW
1,915 Posts
i had something similar happen to my BOV, but what it turned out to be was a vaccum line had popped off and there was a constant hissing. i would just double check all the lines and their connections.

·
Registered
446 Posts
you must have the 7psi spring in it. My tial came with it also and it would be open and idle which is like the car has a huge vacuum leak. A guy has a 9psi one for sale on in the fs section or you can call titan directly to order a new one for about the same price. I have the 11psi spring, but it has surging issues at low boost.

T

·
0 Posts
Your 11psi spring surges at low boost??? what boost? which turbo?

shupore said:
you must have the 7psi spring in it. My tial came with it also and it would be open and idle which is like the car has a huge vacuum leak. A guy has a 9psi one for sale on in the fs section or you can call titan directly to order a new one for about the same price. I have the 11psi spring, but it has surging issues at low boost.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It surges when I am just driving on local streets which means barely any boost. I'd say below anything below 5psi but it is noticable as I drive around. I also noticed it seems to open about a second late. I will hear the turbo surge as I left off the throttle and then the bov will release air. I'm running the phr street kit which has the gt60 turbo that is in the stage 1 turbo. My bov is welded on the ic piping behind the front bumper, on the driver side, right after the intercooler. I'm going to clip off a couple coils off the spring and see if it helps.

·
Canadian monster
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i just bought the 9 PSI spring, we'll see what it does when i receive it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
You are also going to have problems with the maf when the tial releases air. The maf still thinks the stock bov is recirculating air and will cause it to run rich and may even cause stalling. I also tried to run a maf when I went single and just took the plunge and bought a map ecu. I was reading your other thread about your stalling issues, I had the same problems when I tried to have the car run with the maf. Did you run a 3/4" hose from the iacv (intake air control valve) into the intake before the turbo?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
shupore said:
You are also going to have problems with the maf when the tial releases air. The maf still thinks the stock bov is recirculating air and will cause it to run rich and may even cause stalling. I also tried to run a maf when I went single and just took the plunge and bought a map ecu. I was reading your other thread about your stalling issues, I had the same problems when I tried to have the car run with the maf. Did you run a 3/4" hose from the iacv (intake air control valve) into the intake before the turbo?
so true thats why with other bovs (like the hks one) they sell the HKS Recirculation Fitting

from mvp web site
"This is the fitting necessary to allow a Super Sequential BOV to route expelled air back into the intake. We recommend this if you will be using an HKS SSQV BOV on a car without a VPC or other electronic controller that removes the stock Mass Air Flow meter. Hose not included"

http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templates/frmTemplateH.asp?SubFolderID=1220&SearchYN=N

·
Canadian monster
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shupore said:
hey thanks for the help.

i do use the 3/4 hose from the iacv.

I know i have a problem with the BOV but i have unhooked the vacuum signal, so this can't be my stalling issue can it? I will eventually go VPC but i though i would stay with the MAF for a little while before going VPC since i read some people don't get the stalling issue.

If my BOV i unhook, why would i still get the stalling?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Check for boost leaks and reset the ecu. I think I had a huge leak at the egr, so I removed it with the two block off plates.I also have problems with my car stalling occasionally when I engage my exedy twin disc clutch too quickly, which might be caused by the lightweight flywheel. I still do not know for sure why it happens.

Also, after clipping about 2 coils from my tial spring, I do not have any more surge at low boost.

·
Canadian monster
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i am sure i have no boost leak, i will try to reset the Ecu though and give it some time to learn.

Since i am on the break-in period of the clutch, i am not even going into boost so i will leave the BOV unhooked to make sure that is not my problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts