Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the HKS SS bov installed, but for some reason it takes forever to start working. From what I've read it's normal for it to need to warm up a little before it starts working right, but I don't think it should take very long. I usually start the car and let it run for 5-10 minutes before driving and then have to drive approx. 10 minutes before it will work. If I boost before this I get compressor surge at any psi, but once it's started working it whistles/chirps at any psi. Any ideas?

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
it really doesnt have anything to do w/ the valve. its the car. cold idle rpm/vac is diff from warm idle/vac. besides, you shouldnt be boosting til its up to operating temp anyway.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The temp gauge is usually at it's 'warm' spot when I start driving it, and it's impossible to drive without building any boost. I drive as slow as I can and don't build very much, and I let off the gas slowly untill there is no boost then shift. Should the car be taking 20-30 mins just to get to 'operating temp'?

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm willing to vote NO. It should only take 10 minutes of mild to medium driving to be properly warmed. As for the BOV....it should work no matter how cold the motor is. Something is definitely wrong with your unit. Inspect it and if need be have it warrantied soon. Surge is not your friend.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I was getting the same thing...I have a hunch it may be related to all the oil in my intake pipes since I didn't have a catch can installed yet. Just a hunch though, nothing to back it up :shrug:

·
Is this thing on?
306 Posts
a little off the topic but.... i just installed my Hks super sequential and it works right away, no warm up. but Here is my question: what is it supposed to sound like? cuz mine makes a woo-woo-woo-woo sound instead of the notorious psssssst sound, and it sounds this way at any psi from 0 to 14

·
Blackzilla
1,579 Posts
Same thing happens to my ssqv. My car will start to stall if I get the rpms around 2.25K and put it in natural (as if I'm running a shitty bov or venting a stock bypass). Same goes if I try to build a little boost. It goes away in about 5 minutes though. So I just ease on the pedal till it gets to operating temperature.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I've been dealing with this surge for a while now, I've had the hks ss since about november, and I got it to replace the stocker which had stopped opening, so I had been getting surge on it a while too. I do what I can to avoid it, but sometimes it can't be helped, usually it's only 1-3 psi. About how much is that hurting the turbo? Enough to be a concern, or not enough to matter?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have the same BOV aswell,works fine. I did replace most of the piping with 2.5" hardpipes though.

·
Registered
945 Posts
a BOV works off vacuum and boost, not operating temp. its just a spring loaded valve. It should work the second you start boosting. If it takes 30 minutes to begin working properly then it is defective. Try cleaning it first. check for debris that may be in there. Oil in it may be slowing its proper operation and the oil "melts" when the rest of the engine bay warms up enough to loosen it up. Try cleaning it and let us know how it works.

·
Registered
409 Posts
you mean spray it in from the inlet side? will carb cleaner hurt anything in there or are all the parts okay to be soaked in it?

·
Done? It's never done!
170 Posts
SupraDreamer44 said:
a little off the topic but.... i just installed my Hks super sequential and it works right away, no warm up. but Here is my question: what is it supposed to sound like? cuz mine makes a woo-woo-woo-woo sound instead of the notorious psssssst sound, and it sounds this way at any psi from 0 to 14
I had that problem with the HKS bov as well when I first got my turbo swap done. Turned out that the afm was going bad. After I had a good one placed in, the sound went from the woo-woo-woo sound to the nice pssssst sound that it should be like.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How should I go about cleaning it? Spraying carb cleaner in it won't hurt it at all? This has been happening since day one, and I bought it brand new.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have had this exact same issue with my SSQV as well... although mine only acts this way if I boost from a cold start. After around 5 min it acts normally.

Honestly I don't recall this happening when I first installed it. I think I'm going to take a look for some buildup in there... NegativeGForce might be right.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts