Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused about this whole BOV makes power thing, If i vent my blow off valve into the atomasphere do i lose horsepower? At the same time, does anyone know when the stock bov opens? what psi? and Why is their a vacuum hose going to the top of it? If i remove the stock BOV and replaced it whith one thats adjustable i could then take more boost right? if you guys could help tha'd be great -Mike

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
BOV doesn't make you have more horsepower. It ALLOWS you to run more boost. It's not the cause of it. BOV's all open when you let off the gas. The vaccuum that is created when you let off the gas goes through that line and pulls or pushes the BOV open, depending on what type it is.

The strength of the BOV spring and its design are what allow you to run more boost and hence make more power. The BOV has NOTHING to do with how much boost you actually make, nor will it increase your power.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you loose power if you vent it into the atmosphere as aposed to the intake?

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
nose-gobblin said:
do you loose power if you vent it into the atmosphere as aposed to the intake?
On a AFM car like ours, it'll run rich whenever it blows off (between shifts, and anytime you go from positive boost to vacuum). Convert to MAP setup and vent to atmosphere all you want with no adverse effects.

Your options for BOV and wastegate however are limited to TiAL :D dont cheap out and get a Type S, no matter how sexy they sound.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Orion ZyGarian said:
On a AFM car like ours, it'll run rich whenever it blows off (between shifts, and anytime you go from positive boost to vacuum). Convert to MAP setup and vent to atmosphere all you want with no adverse effects.

Your options for BOV and wastegate however are limited to TiAL :D dont cheap out and get a Type S, no matter how sexy they sound.
There's nothing wrong with a greddy type S...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
other then running ritch between shifts why would I convert to Map, and why would this eliminate MAF, then how does the computer know HM air is comming in? Im confused now, after insalling an after market BOV do i use that same vacuum line to the new BOV? in an after market situation, when i install new turbo with external wastegate how is it controlled? , i think i confused myslef :eek4dance , someone help!!!!!!!! -thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Chrisco said:
There's nothing wrong with a greddy type S...
Correction....There's nothing wrong with about 5% of Greddy Type S's. Don't even get me started on how many I went through or how many I sold replacements for because they were faulty and caused problems.

With regards to the above question regarding MAP, BOV, External gate, etc. just do some research. Read up on it. There's a ton of info out there. Unless you plan on going with crazy power, a MAP setup isn't necessary. The Lexus AFM has handled well past 500rwhp on many cars.

If you connect the BOV correctly, have a good vaccuum source (same as stock source), and adjust it correctly, you should have no adverse effects at all. Most problems that people have with atmospheric BOV's, has nothing to do with the AFM or BOV itself, but usually something else is wrong.

External WG is controlled by an internal spring or with a boost controller. The boost controller solenoid has all the ports on it you need to control the boost properly. If I were you, I wouldn't touch an external WG setup until you have read a lot more info and done a lot of additional research on the subject.

·
BMM
2,329 Posts
turbo xs rfl BOV FTW! :lol: it has worked very well for me. great attention getter

·
Knockin the rod in slopra
811 Posts
^ agreed.. ofcourse being free did help on my part.. plus the stocker BOV wasn't venting.. so was performance gain for my car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts