Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
wut
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, took a couple of runs on the dyno last weekend. The numbers weren't as high as I would have liked them to be, but I know I have a lot of tuning to do:)

Here is a description of my car: 94 TT BPU Auto with 82,xxx miles.
My mod list consists of:
Tanabe Racing Medallion
Rod Millen Downpipe
Greddy Profec B
Greddy BCC
K & N Drop In Filter

Also note that I have the stock Toyota Platinum Plugs (Factory Gap) in right now. My dyno pulls were on 94 octane and at 19psi.

My highest run ended up being 367.8rwhp/376.7rwtq. This was on a 3rd gear pull starting at 4200rpms (upon just reading MKIV.com, I should have done it from 2000rpms). ECU was reset before all the runs, Trac Fuse was also pulled. Here were my A/F readings for the run:

4200rpm: 14.8
4400rpm: 11.8
4600rpm: 10.7
4800rpm: 11.9
5000rpm: 12.9
5200rpm: 13.2
5400rpm: 13.2
5600rpm: 13.0
5800rpm: 12.7
6000rpm: 12.4
6200rpm: 11.9
6400rpm: 11.5
6600rpm: 11.1
6800rpm: 10.3

My egt's at top end were >1600 Farenheit (probe is in between 5th and 6th runner on exhaust manifold) which is what I am concerned about. Looks like I was running lean for a little while

My next performance mod will be the SAFC, so that should hopefully even things out so I am in the neighborhood of 12.1:1 A/F. Also what spark plugs does everyone recommend (I know this is always debated), and will they help with my egt problems?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I doubt you could run that well with the factory gap at high boost. Was the car already BPU when you bought it? When I first did the bleeder-T mod my friend forgot to remind me about tightening the gap and the car ran like shit when the 2nd turbo came on!

But the numbers are very healthy. You lose about 20% with an auto to the wheels so you have about 460 BHP/ 471 ft-lb.

·
wut
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, those are the numbers I got with the stock platinums. I have had the car since 57,xxx miles but it has only been BPU since about 1,000 miles or so ago. What can I say, when #2 comes on the car runs pretty decently. But like I said I will be swapping the plugs for some NGKs asap.

What spark plugs does everyone recommend, it seems everyone has something different to say? I guess I will just have to expirement. Do you think there is some power loss from running the stockers in there?

Also does anyone have an idea when the effeciency of the stock turbos start to go down?

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
I think the consensus has been that the stock turbo's efficiency drops off around 18 psi. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
I only dyno'd 38X rwhp, but the car wasn't running well and I founbd out later that I had popped a vaccum hose off the pressure tank so the car was only making 1.15 bar and it kept downshifting.

I hope that with a lock-up switch to keep the stall convertor to not rob so much HP on the dyno and the right conditions, the car can put down over 400rwhp.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would be cautious about running 19 psi on pump gas. You are definitely pushing the envelope at that level and this is probably why your temps got a little high.

I never dyno'd when I was BPU, but working through mathematical formulas based on weight, ET and trap speed, I was making about 430 rwhp at 18 psi (with race gas).

In my case, I found the factory plugs at factory set gap worked extremely well. Even at 8000 rpm, I never had any misfires or break-up. I was able to run mid 11s at 119 mph with them. They had 30,000 miles on them and I never replaced them till I went APU.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
yo dude, your from cherry hill, NJ? im from NJ too, a town called Middletown, near the Garden State Arts Center, what shops in NJ install performance parts for a supra?

·
Registered
174 Posts
neonafk said:
yo dude, your from cherry hill, NJ? im from NJ too, a town called Middletown, near the Garden State Arts Center, what shops in NJ install performance parts for a supra?
The best shop in NJ is ProRally (Ara Arslanian's shop). Good people who really know their stuff. Not sure of their address (somewhere in north Jersey), but you can find them on the web pretty easy. Do a search on "Bullish Racing". That's the name of Ara's race team. He has a 9 second six speed and sponsors one or two others.

B

·
0 Posts
I got 384hp with a DP, 3" homemade exhaust,and an air filter :)

Total cost in mods was 700 bucks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts