Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I recently finished installing my blitz i-color and bcc. The car is bpu. I've been playing around with settings and I'm noticing higher boost readings than I had expected. First time out, I had the Icolor set to 30 and gain at 10. At those settings, 3rd and 4th gear are reading 1.45 bar steady. I threw some 110 in just until i get this thing sorted out. I figured what the heck and turned the settings to what others on this board have suggested (set to 60 for max boost and 20-25 for gain) and the car is spiking to 1.6 bar and holding pretty close to that. Most others are claiming that their cars are holding at a steady 18psi with those settings. What the heck is going on? I'm nervous to run pump gas only because I can't seem to get the boost down around 17-18 psi. I have my apexi el2 boost gauge and the icolor both tapped into the turbo pressure sensor. Do you think I might be getting an inaccurate boost pressure reading or should I be looking for something else? The car does not have any wastegate spring or bleeder t mods etc... It's just running in TTC using the NZ method. The car is a blast to drive on race gas...it's just that $6 a gallon kinda hurts. Thanks in advance.

Justin

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
what is your exhaust system?

you should lube (PB/kroil) the wastegate

-M

·
Registered
934 Posts
hey i was just wondering if u checked if ur wastegate is connected correctly. almost sounds like ur wastegate isnt even connected (just a thought).

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll look, but I've never disconnected it. It's a low mileage car too (30k) so everything is pretty clean and rust free. I'll look though.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
What are your readings when disconnecting all hoses from the wastegate actuator? Mine is showing approx. 0.8Bar with the spring alone...
Check that one out. Maybe the WG is stuck somehow?!
Gerd

·
Tearing up Sydney streets
625 Posts
Hi there,

Is the IColor setup correctly?

Have you tried setting Boost to Automatic and setting boost to 1.24hkPA (1.24 bar = 18psi)? Remember if set to automatic, you can change the "Response" value from Norm (fastest for boost to build up), to Mild (reaches peak slower), to Slow (reaches peak slowest, results in lest over shooting/spiking resulting in faster learning)

Also, when in Manual mode, remember that by putting 0 into the max boost value, it will be the maximum normal boost (boost pressure set by the manufacturer), and 100 is when the boost pressure will keep rising up to the limit of the turbo.

Some questions:

1.) Is the exhaust gas bypass option set to AC or WG? - This is in the Funct menu
2.) Under Speed Calibration, what is it set to?
3.) Under Tacho Calibration what is it set to?
4.) Power loss setting under Power Calibration?
5.) Gain should be 15-25 for stock turbos. The higher it is set, faster response but spiking will result (it will overshoot the desired boost level - i.e. spike)

Tell me the values for 1.) - 4.) and I should be able to help you :)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, thank you so much for helping me with this. Honestly judging by your questions, I have some serious shit to configure. I haven't even looked at half of those settings but I most certainly will this week. While I'm in there I will try the automatic setting, but for the others such as speed and tach...they are set to the factory defaults which I'll write down. Do you have any suggestions for what those settings should be near? Thanks again, I really appreciate the help!

·
Tearing up Sydney streets
625 Posts
Hiya Mate,

No worries :) A mate helped me out so I am more than happy to give back...

After setting up these values, try Automatic mode first letting the Icolor learn by itself, then manual mode if you have no luck or don't like how it controls things:

This setting is accessible from the "Funct" menu accessible from the main menu:
1.) Set the exhaust gas bypass option set to AC - Set this up in the Funct menu

These settings are under the "Calib" menu accessible from the main menu:
2.) Under Speed Calibration, set to "4 Pulse"
3.) Under Tacho Calibration, set to "Keep 3000rpm"
4.) Under Power Calibration, set it to weight: 1580 (dependent on your car), 2WD, Power Loss 0, Wheel spin 10m

Finally, too high a gain value can be a big problem with boost spiking, and is best played around with to find a suitable value, but for stock turbos, start off with the 15-25 range. (As an example, imagine boost increasing extremely quickly... if it is increasing too quickly and you have set it at 1 bar, it will hit 1 bar and then the signal will be sent to open the wastegate, but in that time it may spike to 1.2 bar)

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright I followed your instructions for calibration and it's working great now. I have it set to automatic and it's peaking at about 1.34 bar. I'm gonna set it to manual mode and see if I can get it down to about 1.2. Boost comes on nicely, I think I just need to play with settings a bit more to bring it down. Thanks for your help, I'm hoping that I can get the final tweaks ironed out today.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
JustinCT- How did you make out on setting-up the iColor? Everything OK? What settings did you find that work good for you? One last Q, what are you using for boost-cut elimination?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Infernoo said:
Hiya Mate,

No worries :) A mate helped me out so I am more than happy to give back...

After setting up these values, try Automatic mode first letting the Icolor learn by itself, then manual mode if you have no luck or don't like how it controls things:

This setting is accessible from the "Funct" menu accessible from the main menu:
1.) Set the exhaust gas bypass option set to AC - Set this up in the Funct menu

These settings are under the "Calib" menu accessible from the main menu:
2.) Under Speed Calibration, set to "4 Pulse"
3.) Under Tacho Calibration, set to "Keep 3000rpm"
4.) Under Power Calibration, set it to weight: 1580 (dependent on your car), 2WD, Power Loss 0, Wheel spin 10m

Finally, too high a gain value can be a big problem with boost spiking, and is best played around with to find a suitable value, but for stock turbos, start off with the 15-25 range. (As an example, imagine boost increasing extremely quickly... if it is increasing too quickly and you have set it at 1 bar, it will hit 1 bar and then the signal will be sent to open the wastegate, but in that time it may spike to 1.2 bar)
Just one comment- point #3: I think you are suppose to hold 3000 rpm and hit OK. This calibrates the readout. Of course, 3000 is safer than calibrating at redline :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts