Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bro took his 93.5 Supra to the track today. It has a full downpipe (replaces both cats), Tanabe Racing Medallion exhaust, hose T boost controller (hitting ~18psi), and a BCC. The stock airbox is retained, but modified to flow better. New NGK spark plugs (same plugs the fast guys are running, forget the model #).

They didn't have race gas at the track, so we removed the spoiler and headlight to try and improve times. This is the car's first time at the track, and it dyno'd at 400rwhp at 18psi (dyno: http://extremeautosports.safeshopper.com/images/br1abgv2.jpg).

Four runs were made as he got used to the car. He is not a terrible driver, and while inexperienced, was doing a decent job of managing wheelspin. In other words, while these times aren't the best that could be made with the car, they aren't so far off as to explain why they're so low.

1: [email protected]
2: [email protected] (traction control on)
3: [email protected]
4. [email protected] (not sure what happened, might be a little off on time)

Car was boosting a little higher with the headlight removed. Third and fourth gears (and second on at least one of the runs) were powershifted. I know Supras aren't nearly as fast on the 91 octane pump gas used, but not this bad! Aren't stock Supras supposed to run [email protected]? One guy on the forum was claiming to have run a 13.2, bone stock.

Is there something I'm missing? Are supras really this slow? I know he could get into the 12's with that trap speed, but still....

Thanks,
Joshua

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'd say it's a crappy 60 foot time. What were his 60 ft times? Probably due to inexperience launching (I know about that :) ) maybe tires, maybe crapped out clutch. You're right though, those mph would get him into 12's

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did [email protected] on my bone stocker... Major traction issues though. 2.35 60fts bite my monkey. :) If I could hook up, I'd say low 13's would be easily attainable for a stock supra.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why did you take off the spoiler?

Anyways, next time, take the damn stock air box out, and just run on the track with an open intake, dont drive around like that, but if you do it on the track it won't hurt anything, just gives more airflow, and if you do this, and improve your 60' times you will hit 12's...;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even if the driving wasn't great, shouldn't his trap speed still be a bit highter? A friend of mine with pretty much the same car (93, BPU, with intake too though) ran [email protected] will improvements in driving really bring his trap speed that much higher than 111mph?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
111mph sounds about right for his mods....do my suggestion about the air box....

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
rapture said:
Even if the driving wasn't great, shouldn't his trap speed still be a bit highter? A friend of mine with pretty much the same car (93, BPU, with intake too though) ran [email protected] will improvements in driving really bring his trap speed that much higher than 111mph?
If you have a crappy launch, you're trap will be lower.

I've run a 13.9 @ 105 w/ a 2.XX 60' time. I launched too hard and spun bouncing off the rev limiter in 1st & 2nd gear even though I lifted and got back on it a few times. But most of the time I launch perfectly and lay down nice runs, its just pratice, (of course owning an Auto helps a little) ;)

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RSA Supra said:
It just sounds like bad driving. Don't take offense. Pratice makes perfect. With a little more, you should be able to bring the times down a lot.
My granny drives a auto also.

2 RIP :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
With traps in the 110+, he should be into the 12's. I agree with the others, it sounds like terrible launches. The trap numbers show a fairly strong bpu, but would need to see 60' times to really judge. The car is probly fine, work on launches.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
110 mph traps show a fairly strong BPU? No. Even on
pump gas if you run below 114 mph you should be looking
for a boost leak or checking to see if the car is in need of
a tune-up. As long as you are not more than 2000 ft above
sea level you can get more than that out of a decent running
Supra. Go back to the track with a blend of fuel that will net
you 100-104 octane. Re-set your ECU and run. If your trap
speeds don't go up significantly you may want to check for
boost leaks. With the exact mods as your brother I went
116.91 on pump gas and 120.56 on 100 octane. I have seen
others trap as high as 118 mph on 94 octane pump gas with
plain BPU. Since your brother is not familiar with the car, he
may want to get a local Supra owner with more track time
to make a pass with the car to get a baseline number.
Wayne

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can get traps in between 113mph and 117 mph but I still get crappy times in the 13s. I know that it is my driving along with the fact that I always run ordinary street tires. I think that it is time to get some drag radials and practice. oh yah my 60ft times are always greater than 2 seconds and are usually around 2.5. boy do i need to cut that down then I will easily be running 12s. And this is at 16 psi on 91 octane.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WayneCar said:
110 mph traps show a fairly strong BPU? No. Even on
pump gas if you run below 114 mph you should be looking
for a boost leak or checking to see if the car is in need of
a tune-up. As long as you are not more than 2000 ft above
sea level you can get more than that out of a decent running
Supra. Go back to the track with a blend of fuel that will net
you 100-104 octane. Re-set your ECU and run. If your trap
speeds don't go up significantly you may want to check for
boost leaks. With the exact mods as your brother I went
116.91 on pump gas and 120.56 on 100 octane. I have seen
others trap as high as 118 mph on 94 octane pump gas with
plain BPU. Since your brother is not familiar with the car, he
may want to get a local Supra owner with more track time
to make a pass with the car to get a baseline number.
Wayne
That's what I thought... the car should be trapping higher, even on pump gas. The car has new plugs and holds boost to redline. This was at Sacramento Raceway and he had the only Supra there. I tried resetting the ecu--didnt' help. What else does a tuneup consist of?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts