Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What cars out there will run head to head with a bpu car only.(no fmic,cams,etc,)
1. SS Camaro?
2. newer z28 Camaro?
3. 01 saleen mustang?
4. 03 cobra?
5. c5?

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
I have a 1997, just BPU, and there's is only one car on that list that i've raced and it was the 03 Cobra. I beat him by about the length of my hood from a roll of about 35 till 120. I am also auto

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Oh yeah and this is what is installed on my car.
- RMM Downpipe
- GReddy Power Extreme
- GReddy BCC
- Blitz FATT
- Blitz DSBC
- HKS Intake
- HKS SSBOV

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
A bpu supra will beat just about any stock car to date. Not talking about the higher end cars though.

A viper GTS would run neck and neck with a BPU 6spd.

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
ScrewDrvr said:
A bpu supra will beat just about any stock car to date. Not talking about the higher end cars though.

A viper GTS would run neck and neck with a BPU 6spd.
i would think think a viper gts would be a little faster but not by much.

THE SPECS
ENGINE
Type V-10, aluminum block and heads
Bore x stroke 4.00 x 3.88 in, 101.6 x 98.5mm
Displacement 488 cu in, 7990cc
Compression ratio 9.6:1
Engine-control system Chrysler JTEC with port fuel injection
Emissions controls 3-way catalytic converter, feedback air-fuel-ratio control
Valve gear pushrods, 2 valves per cylinder, hydraulic lifters
Power (SAE net) 450 bhp @ 5200 rpm
Torque (SAE net) 490 lb-ft @ 3700 rpm
Redline 6000 rpm

DRIVETRAIN
Transmission 6-speed manual
Final-drive ratio 3.07:1, limited slip

DIMENSIONS AND CAPACITIES
Wheelbase 96.2 in
Track, F/R 59.6/60.6 in
Length 176.7 in
Width 75.7 in
Height 47.0 in
Ground clearance 5.0 in
Curb weight 3415 lb
Weight distribution, F/R 48.7/51.3%
Fuel capacity 19.0 gal
Oil capacity 7.0 qt
Water capacity 12.8 qt

CHASSIS/BODY
Type steel-tubing frame integral with body
Body material resin-transfer-molded plastic

INTERIOR
Front seat 49 cu ft
Luggage space 9 cu ft
Front seats bucket
Seat adjustments fore and aft, seatback angle, lumbar support
Restraint systems, front manual 3-point belts, driver and passenger airbags

STEERING
Type rack-and-pinion, power-assisted
Turns lock-to-lock 2.3

BRAKES
Front 13.0 x 1.3-in vented disc
Rear 13.0 x 0.9-in vented disc

WHEELS AND TIRES
Wheel size Front: 10.0 x 17 in, Rear: 13.0 x 17 in
Wheel type forged aluminum
Tires Michelin Pilot MXX3, Front: 275/40ZR-17, Rear: 335/35ZR-17
Inflation pressures, Front/Rear 29/29 psi

PERFORMANCE
0-60 mph 4.0 seconds
0-100 mph 9.2 seconds
Street Start, 5-60 mph 4.5 seconds
Standing 1/4-mile 12.3 sec @ 115 mph
Top speed (drag limited) 177 mph

BRAKING
70-0 mph @ impending lockup 172 ft

HANDLING
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad 0.96 g

FUEL ECONOMY
EPA city driving 13 mpg
EPA highway driving 21 mpg

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Ranger498 said:
Standing 1/4-mile 12.3 sec @ 115 mph
Top speed (drag limited) 177 mph
Hmmm, That quartermiles trap is definately slower than a BPU on racegas. I trapped 118 (straight BPU) 21psi on race gas and I'm an auto.

A BPU Supra will also top at aroung 180 with the governor removed.

Krister

Oh yeah, and was it neccessary to paste all that stuff? You could have gathered all the important data and posted it and just given the link to the rest of the info. That was a pain to scroll. Peace. :smoker:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Krister said:
Hmmm, That quartermiles trap is definately slower than a BPU on racegas. I trapped 118 (straight BPU) 21psi on race gas and I'm an auto.

Krister

Oh yeah, and was it neccessary to paste all that stuff? You could have gathered all the important data and posted it and just given the link to the rest of the info. That was a pain to scroll. Peace. :smoker:
I have ridden in a Viper GTS, on the street you will most likley be raped hard when he jumps you, and you won't have enough HP to reel him in either. Stock GTSs are around 420 RWHP/450+ RWTQ, weigh slightly less than a Supra and have 335 rear tires, think about it. :cool: Besides, they have been known to run [email protected] mph and top out at up to 192 mph.:eek: Better add some ++s if you want to run with the Viper...............

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Krister said:

Krister

ok rember thats the car stock put some race gas in its motor and better tires and see the new times :D

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I think it all depends on the driver. The Vipers are not that fast stock so its anyones game. I got jumped by a Viper and stayed even with him from a 40-120mph race on the highway. He had intake, exhaust and gears and I was straight BPU auto with a high stall (which isn't good for highway racing). If I was brake boosting we would have been even and from a stop I would have killed him even though he wasn't stock.

Bottom line is that a well driven, strong BPU car should take a stock Viper everytime.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Rome_The_Supraman said:
What cars out there will run head to head with a bpu car only.(no fmic,cams,etc,)
1. SS Camaro?
2. newer z28 Camaro?
3. 01 saleen mustang?
4. 03 cobra?
5. c5?
SS and Z28 are practically the same car... the only differences are the SS has a different hood, different wheels and a different wing (I had an LS1 SS before I got my MKIV)... the only car on that list (assuming they all are stock) Id be worried about if I was BPU would be an 03 Cobra, maybe a Saleen if it was the supercharged version... Im stock and Ive ran door to door with a C5 (im assuming stock also) on the interstate from a 75ish punch. My car is 6 speed btw. Not sure about what the Saleens have, but I know there are several different levels of Saleen Mustangs :dunno:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know when I just had on my Thermal exhaust and a passenger in my car I raced a 01 silver saleen mustang with a supercharger.
The guy was at the shop where I use to hang out at and he kept on being a dick about wanting me to race him. I told him that I was pretty much stock due to the fact that all I had on wast the exhaust. So we went at it and I think he took me by like 1 or 2 car length. I knew he was faster but just wanted to see what would happen.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
I don't think any of the Saleen's are faster than the new Cobra, but i'd have to check on that. I have raced a Saleen before, but I wouldn't even really consider it a race :D I don't remember which model it was though. If you are just sraight BPU you should be able to beat a Cobra

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Here are the numbers for the Saleen's
Saleen S281 Supercharged Coupe
13.0*/108.0
$42.322
Saleen S281 Coupe
14.0*/99.0
$36,629
Saleen S281 Extreme Coupe
12.5*/113
$61,120

And Here's their brand new car
SALEEN SR 11.8/124.0
1.09g
HIGH
$158,000 :eek:

·
Registered
117 Posts
I beat a Conv C5 from a roll. Beat a modded WS6 (pontiac's version of the SS) lost to a Merc SL55 AMG by half a car length. Damn supercharger torque.

I would be hesitant to race a modded Cobra. Some mustang magazine took one & just put in a drop in filter & changed to a Lighting s/c pulley. It ran low 11's & had 44X at the wheels.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
yup

well i wouldnt be worried about any of those cars except the 03 cobra..but i've seen some supras almost get beaten by stock cobras..these were all from a roll and all cars were manual tranny's...

but i dont think there are mnay cars out there besides top end exotics that can stay with a modded supra's top end...
i had a stock c5 convertible and i raced my firends bpu 6 spd from a 40 roll and his car is a pretty strong bpu supra...and i stayed with him for a few seconds becasue of the tq from the vette and as soon as he got full boost which was pretty fast..he started pullin away easily..by the time we hit around 120 i just shut down because i had no chance of catchin back up....

that same supra that i raced raced a new firebird ram air that had intake exhaust headers and a bigger cam...and when the supra is running perfect he can pull like maybe a car on him from a roll...but ive seen him actully win against the supra a few times....all of our races were from rolls ..most go from 40-140 or 60-140- or 150..
i know i dont worry too much about other cars on the raod whne i drive the mkiv...unless i get suckered by racin a s/ced vette or something...

oh yeah also i would add one more car to the list..the corvette zo-6...they scare me a little bit..especially modded ones..
ant

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not many zo6 around in my area. If there was any it would all be rich old white man.

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
well im bpu++ and run down vipers all day long as long as its a even start . shit i even take down some 750cc bikes.some that is.but its all in the start. if i dont get a even start i may just lose every time. its weird. a stock z06 with temp tags stayed 1 car ahead of me from 40-140+ mph all due to his good jump start[down shift] too many varibles when it come to this topic..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts