Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright ive searched around and found mixed answers so im just gonna ask. I have a Veilside TI exhaust sittin in my garage now im at the point of deciding should i go BPU or purchase one of the SP Budget kits. My car is Bone Stock Auto TT with 55k miles. Plan on keeping stock SMIC,Stock Tranny,and Fuel for now.
Questions are is there a Significant Diff. Between BPU and the Small Single Kit? I've had 6-speed BPU before and I loved it but always wanted just a bit more power or that power at less PSI. Im shooting for 400-430 on 91 Pump gas if possible, and how much PSI would that be at if anyone knows. Will that be safe on my stock tranny, don't plan on dragging it just daily driving and playing around with it here and there.

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
Most of the stuff used to go BPU are prerequisites to going single IE: boost controller, BCC, exhaust, downpipe (dependant on single kit) ect. The only BPU part I could think of that would be a waste on an Sound Performance Budget kit would be a TT intake.

Brandon

·
Luvs ( . ) ( . )s
2,100 Posts
I'd stick with the BPU for now, and add an intercooler to it. Especially since your an auto, with even a small single you still will get a some lag, with strong bpu setup you'll enjoy the car a lot more, the boost on bpu is almost instant and you get a nice kick after 4500 rpms.

·
Kill Story Shakespeare
101 Posts
Do BPU with a few + and you'll achieve your goals.

I think it's funny when guys spend thousands of dollars on single kits and then post times in the Drag Section that are slower than a well running BPU car with a used downpipe and MBC.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya thats what Kinda bothered me is the time issue heh. Even though i wont drag it much i still wanna run a nice time when I do.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya thats what i was thining to. One more question is it safe to Run 16-18 psi Daily on BPU? On my old 6 speed i ran 14psi max cause i never knew and didn't wanna take any chances. My stock turbo's are in pretty good shape as they boost themselves to 1-1.1 bar being bone stock at night just wanna make sure before i do it.

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
IMO, dump the stock twins. Budget kits are extremely cheap. Less shit under the hood the better. You will have 1/4 of the vacuum lines, no coolant lines and one less oil line too. You'll make more power on a 57mm-61mm with the same boost.

It's beyond me why someone would even ask a question like yours. If money is an issue then stay BPU.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Money is the issue thats why. Deciding if I wanna have my Subs put in to complete my sound system and go BPU at the same time, or leave the subs for later and save up a little more for the Small single all while going to college and Saving for a house... Also for the BPU question hitting 16-18 daily that would be on 91 octane. Not looking for anything flashy under the hood either just wanna have fun with the car =)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Dont know how strict smog is out there..but you can reach those power levels with BPU and still have a reliable stock like setup. If you ever need to smog you won't need to do much to get it back..

·
Banned
1,979 Posts
AZSUPRATT said:
Money is the issue thats why. Deciding if I wanna have my Subs put in to complete my sound system and go BPU at the same time, or leave the subs for later and save up a little more for the Small single all while going to college and Saving for a house... Also for the BPU question hitting 16-18 daily that would be on 91 octane. Not looking for anything flashy under the hood either just wanna have fun with the car =)
No point in running 18lbs on 91oct. The stock ecu will pull timing. Lower your HP goals if you wish to stay bpu. Factor in the auto too..

Also my comments had nothing to do with bling, moreso with easier maintenance. Just stick with BPU.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
How much power can I expect from the auto, The 6-speed i had with FMIC was pushing about 370 on 14psi ON 91 or so never really turned the boost passed that to try.

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,401 Posts
On auto rwhp numbers are lower than 6 speed. Just get a bpu upgrades, you can even put in one of the cheap ebay intercoolers, just have to make pipe for it. Then if you want more power, get your tranny built and put in hish stall tc, 3200+.

If you want a budget single, you can probably out a kit together out of ebay parts, but remember you will still need boost controller and some fuel management.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Think ill just go BPU again and up the stall later on. Would never put ebay parts on my car though heh don't trust any of them ;p

·
Registered
227 Posts
bpu dont cheap out on a single iv made that mistake before

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
AZSUPRATT said:
Money is the issue thats why. all while going to college and Saving for a house...
2 key point's! Finish college and get your house first. You got the car already, just drive it and enjoy it. You have plenty of time to upgrade it later. Save your money. The last thing you want is to have to sell it in 3-5 years because you need money to buy your first house and you have all your money tied up into a car. Plus once you get your house, you'll have all the time in the world to work on it in YOUR garage.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the info really appreciate it, Decided just to Go BPU and put the subs in. Cars paid off luckily so ill just do those and keep the Gas milage Fairly good and throw the extra cash into savings. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
82 Posts
kerry1 said:
2 key point's! Finish college and get your house first. You got the car already, just drive it and enjoy it. You have plenty of time to upgrade it later. Save your money. The last thing you want is to have to sell it in 3-5 years because you need money to buy your first house and you have all your money tied up into a car. Plus once you get your house, you'll have all the time in the world to work on it in YOUR garage.
It make complete sense not put too much money in your if you planing to buy a house, i am thinking about doing the same thing save the money to buy a house then slowly start building a weekend warrior in my own garage :sadance:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sound Performance said:
If your stock twin turbos work, KEEP THEM!!! Just go BPU!!
If I were you it would be hard to argue with any of the shops on here, they all know what they're doing!

And I would agree with the others as well...do what you have to do the bare minimum to make yourself enjoy the car (if I was on my 2nd Supra and my 1st was BPU, I probably wouldn't enjoy the car nearly as much until it was at the same level). But do everything you can to get the house...you've seen mine it's nothing to write home about, BUT IT'S MINE. I work on my car in MY garage and I make payments (unfortunately) on MY HOUSE and I gain equity on MY HOUSE. Wouldn't trade it for the hassle-free aspect of an apartment or the rent-free aspect of living with the parents any day (no offense intended to anyone who lives with their parents or rents an apartment, I've done both I just wouldn't go back now that I have a home).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts