Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think my car may be running too rich. Ive always attributed the fuel smell to no catalytic converter. For the first time, someone mentioned to me that they thought the car was just running way too rich. And after some thought, I think they may be right. When I get on the gas hard, there is a very bad raw fuel smell, and I do get some smoke out of the tailpipe. I get terrible fuel mileage when i drive aggressively ( worse than I should )

What are some of the reasons a BPU car on a stock ECU would run rich so I can start looking into this?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Its hard to tune with your nose. Get an af gauge.

·
Registered
641 Posts
+1 on the Wideband but just an FYI these cars are tuned rich from the factory so are you still running stock everything? Boost controller? Exhaust? Intake? if not an Exhaust/Intake/16-18psi should fix your rich issue :)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im running dp/exhuast/intake/Boost controller, 18psi

changing the plugs tonight, maybe itll help?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Im running dp/exhuast/intake/Boost controller, 18psi

changing the plugs tonight, maybe itll help?
I wouldnt say its a Spark Issue. Your going off of what people say but until you get a wideband and actually read the AFRs your just guessing. My car right now is running a bit rich, Low 10 AFRs and i have a greyish residue on my bumper. Thats kinda a way to tell if your running a little rich but still NOT as accurate as a Wideband.

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I'd be surprised to hear of a BPU car NOT running rich. That's the nature of the beast. Even with OBD1 it seems to me that people who report lean conditions above about 4.5K rpm have other issues and the norm is to run rich above that.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess ill have to get a wideband. I have a local selling a brand new AEM EUGO wideband for $165. Anyone have any issues with using AEM widebands? Ill just have to weld a bung onto my exhuast :-\

can anyone else who is BPU confirm raw fuel smell after WOT pull is relatively normal? ( no I dont have a fuel leak lol )

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
...can anyone else who is BPU confirm raw fuel smell after WOT pull is relatively normal? ( no I dont have a fuel leak lol )
Tim, this is an inherent trait of BPU Supras. With the stock ECU the best you can do is use a fuel computer piggyback to tune above 4000 rpm.

My favorite part of this ^ is when driving on a track, in and out of full throttle many times a lap, the manifold and exhaust get hot enough to ignite the raw fuel and you blow flames out the exhaust. I notice some drivers backing off following too close after that happens ;)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I changed my plugs last night since according to most SupraForum reccomendations they were overdue. ( had about 5K miles on them ) The electrodes looked brand new, no melting, no wear, very minor carbon. I checked the gap on each one, and they ranged from 0.021-0.028 Really low for a BPU car according to my research. They were all random though. Not sure how it happened but now with new NGK's at 0.030 it runs a bit smoother!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My favorite part of this ^ is when driving on a track, in and out of full throttle many times a lap, the manifold and exhaust get hot enough to ignite the raw fuel and you blow flames out the exhaust. I notice some drivers backing off following too close after that happens ;)
Isnt that basically the anti lag system placed in ferraris where they ignite fuel in the exhaust manifold to spool up the turbos in between shifts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have also been looking at Widebands as well, but I am new to the game. can anyone recommend a wideband set up that also has a record feature and possibly record the info along with RPM, boost on a OBD1 car?

·
Registered
9,873 Posts
I have also been looking at Widebands as well, but I am new to the game. can anyone recommend a wideband set up that also has a record feature and possibly record the info along with RPM, boost on a OBD1 car?
Innovate LM-1....I actually have one for sale if you want to save some $$$

·
Took 4 years, got it
836 Posts
Tim IIRC your car has the 12v mod to the fuel pump as well. I always noticed it smelled like gas in that car at all times. My thoughts always were between the 12v mod and that sparco filler which 9times out of 10 causes gas to spill out during fill up were the cause of alot of that smell

1 - 20 of 20 Posts