Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
101 (N) in the Thousand Oaks area...

He was driving a beautiful blue/white Shelby Cobra... Replica I believe, but beautiful nonetheless.

We hit it from about a 60 MPH roll and I let off at about 120 MPH.

He gave me the nod to go and then punched it... I got the distinct impression that this guy was expecting to walk all over me. ;)

Anyhow, through the top of third gear he was pretty even with me... By the time I let off near the top of fourth gear I had put about one car length on him.

Nice enough guy about the whole ordeal... When we slowed down for approaching traffic I complimented his car... He was nice enough to do the same. When I asked him what kind of power it was making he replied with, "This is a 351 small block with a few 'bells & whistles' pushing four-fifty to the ground... What do you have in there?" I replied with "This is a twin turbo 3.0 liter inline six with a few 'bells & whistles' pushing mid-fours to the ground." We exchanged thumbs-up before he took the next exit.

:D

A

·
0 Posts
Nice kill, no doubting it or anything but aren't those cars like 2700-2800 lbs?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
allnet777 said:
I agree with you, I am almost certain that this car was substantially lighter than a Twin Turbo MKIV given its size… Maybe he exaggerated a bit about the power of his car? ;)

where is the video?
Sorry... I wish that this race was captured on video, but unfortunately I do not carry a video camera with me in the car. Maybe this should be a Christmas present to myself? ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
NERVOUS said:
I agree with you, I am almost certain that this car was substantially lighter than a Twin Turbo MKIV given its size… Maybe he exaggerated a bit about the power of his car? ;)
He may have had that power, but those things are hurting aerodynamic-wise once you get over 100mph.

Y

·
0 Posts
allnet777 said:
Weight would help from a dig mainly.... Up top it aerodynamics vs. HP

Good Kill!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Must have been a very mild engine in that replica. There is a place 15 miles from my house that builds cobra replica's turnkey. The base package is a stock 225hp 302'' the most powerful engine offered is a stroked 460'' pumping out 625hp, all these numbers are crank, but the replica only weights 2450lbs complete +/- a 100lbs.

Your looking at a power to weight ratio of 4.5lbs/rwhp on the stroked 460. A supra would need around 750-800rwhp to stay in that race not counting variables...

Enough bench racing for me good kill!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Sr2003 said:
Good kill, but remember those cars weren't designed for roll racing, both with aeros and gearing.

Good deal.
Isnt the purpose they made the car is to compete in racing.also they had an history of winning many races.

·
462 Posts
It was probably a kit car shelby replica...with much less HP.

There's a kit shelby that's been talking smak at my shop lately. I'll have to blast him. However, he has huge DR's outback plus sounds like a big block. It may be a closer race.

Good kill!!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Spool said:
It was probably a kit car shelby replica...with much less HP.

Did you even read the post,it says its a replica. the real cobra comes with 427.this had a 351 strocker in it.which is no joke either.

·
0 Posts
also those real Cobra's are worth like $500,000+ at auctions.

and the aerodynamics of those cars can't be that great at high speeds. or maybe the kit aren't as exact in terms of matching the real ones' aero? i dunno.

·
Lets go Nets
2,956 Posts
hey good kill,

i saw a number of those at atlanta dragway one night(cobra night), there damn quick too

Brett

Y

·
0 Posts
ademan said:
Isnt the purpose they made the car is to compete in racing.also they had an history of winning many races.
Yeah, but racing isin't just about going suicidal in straight-line top-speed runs... With all of their cajones I doubt if the old stockers got to much over 165mph.... They handled quite well though, and that and their power/weight allowed them to excell in races... Kind of like a lotus elise.... damn near everyone here can own one top-end, but on smaller to mid-size road courses they.. are sick...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts