Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This little black Mercedes flew past me on the service road and when I saw AMG I decided to investigate. We approach a stop sign and he slows to like 5mph and then chirps the tires and takes off before I even had a chance to shift into 1st gear. I followed again and we managed to hit a red signal light on a three lane road. Perfect.

The gentleman driving was in his 50's and thought he was the shiznit. I wasn't sure what to expect from this AMG, especially from a stop.

Light turns green and I launch from 3,000 ish, tires start to spin at top of 1st and then I hit 2nd and the tires hooked hard. I was outa there; whiplash city. By the top of third he was at least 4 or 5 cars back and he was trying hard. I shifted into 4th and then let off. He flew by of course and never stopped. A thumbs up would have been nice.

Edmunds says the SLK AMG is 3,220 lbs with 356 hp and 332 tq with a 0-60 of 4.8 seconds. It was very similar to racing a C5.

My ride: '93 Supra TT BPU ++ on pump gas with 275/40 Nitto 555r tires.

It was a fun kill. Hope I don't run into an E55 AMG at a stoplight prior to going single next month!

·
Supraholic/Boostaholic
1,513 Posts
its 349 hp, taken from edmunds.

R

·
0 Posts
The E55 AMG is a modern day sleeper. It has something along the lines of 476HP/516TQ (crank). Never seen the actual dyno, but there's vids of it embarassing a modded 03 cobra with 453rwhp.

LEMAR

·
Registered
117 Posts
The E55 is underrated, the SL55 AMG has the same motor & is rated at 493hp.

·
Registered
886 Posts
We'll see if Jesus or Treynor are around. Jesus is the one who beat the Cobra with his stock E55. Yes, they are very underrated... factory claims 469hp on the E55 and my co-workers dynoed at 425rwhp, which at 20% drivetrain loss is like 510 at the crank. I'm not sure what the S55 puts down, but I believe it's even more underrated. With a chip and DR's it propels MB's largest, heaviest family sedan to high 11's.

Anyways unfortunately the SLK isn't in the same range or class anymore... atleast not yet..

·
A T-Rex going "Rawr!"
2,778 Posts
Treynors is an SL600 isnt it? Twin Turbo V12, the E55 is an Twinscrew supercharged V8.

MMMM 12 cylinders 2 turbos...

D

·
0 Posts
12 cylinders 2 turbos....only makes 493hp...

8 cyliunderes 1 supercharger....makes 493
Why didnt MB raise the S600 way more?

·
Registered
350 Posts
maby i can help! i sell these cars in gemany:
e55 amg 1835,00 kg! empty
he has a v8 with a supercharger.....

but the bether engine is in the cl or sl 65 amg! v12 twin turbo with 612 hp and 1000nm! tourque

J

·
0 Posts
fencekey,

I have the same engine in my car as the SLK AMG model you raced. Your observation about that SLK being C5-quick sounds right. I've wondered how I would fair against a stock TT MKIV Supra (if there is such a thing around). My car is a hair faster than the previous E55 and a hair slower than the current M5, C5 vette and the forementioned SLK model. Nice fun little cars. I've been beaten by a modded C5 (aftermarket exhaust and ?) by 1 car length 35 to 70 MPH. A modded Viper RT/10 that runs very low 12's pulled me slowly from a highway speed roll. I've beaten a V8 Camaro from a 60 MPH. I've since had my ECU RON switched to the Euro 93 octane setting from the standard 91. I think the car feels peppier. I'm looking forward to running some late model NSXs, 996 Carreras, M3s and stock C5s and MKIVs to see how things shake out. Nice kill by the way.

Kevin

·
Registered
886 Posts
Delta00 said:
12 cylinders 2 turbos....only makes 493hp...

8 cyliunderes 1 supercharger....makes 493
Why didnt MB raise the S600 way more?
Delta, the V12 is capable of much more than 493hp. A lot of the reasons have to do with warranty... transmission integrity is a big one. There's a certain line between luxury and performance where problems can occur. Also economy... the V12 in the S600 has very tame internals (cam, etc) while letting the boost do the work to make that power without sacrificing economy. Oddly enough, the E55 uses less boost (about .08 bar or 11.6psi) and the S600 uses 1 bar or about 14.5psi. Once again though, the S600 is a standard MB model not modified by AMG.

In any case, RENNtech and multiple other tuners have ways of enhancing the capabilities of the turbos via chips and whatnot.

·
Supraholic/Boostaholic
1,513 Posts
the CL65's (v12 twinturbo) block is capable of holding ~900+ torque at the manufacture's specs. MB just doesn't want 700hp ultra-luxo sedans rolling around so they detuned it a little. My dad got a E55 over the summer and i borrowed the G-tech (i kno it isn't 100% accurate) but i do remember it registering about 508-510 crank hp. it truly is a sick fast sedan

C

·
0 Posts
My best friend drives an E55 AMG and those things are RETARDED FAST. Everyone and their mother mistakes it for an E500 and just gets completely owned. I've heard of stockers running low 12's without mods. The only problem with the car is its severely under-tired and there's almost no way to fit anything wider than a 10" rear wheel on the car. It makes a nasty highway car, and its about the same weight as a supra. IMO its the best sedan in the world, hands down, absolutely beautiful, especially in black, super fast and god do the girls go NUTS for them. I have pictures to prove it!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts