Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had a chance to run the Supra against a decent car this year. It was a final generation Camaro SS. Black. Definitely had an exhaust on it...possibly a cam. Sounded REALLY nice as it idled..and was pretty loud to boot! I chatted with the 2 guys in it real quick, and they had the same thing in mind as me. It was 2:30 am, and the roads were dead, so I knew it was going to go down!

At the last stoplight before the highway, this would be the race from a dead stop. Temp's went in the 50's...good turbo weather..but bad traction weather....especially for the torque of that car. I decided against launching my car from my stall speed. I though 2000RPM would be enough...it would be enough to make some boost, but allow the car to hesitate a second before building tons of boost. He might pull me out of the hole IF he could hook, but I'd chase him down..hopefully. To be honest, I was a bit worried for a second. Those LT1s can be made to be sneaky, crazy fast. I had no idea what was under his hood. Would the Supra get pounded by a GM? Oh horror of horrors......:)

We nodded and both of us revved our engines as we waited for the light to go green. I reacted a touch faster than he did when the light turned, but not by much. As expected, my car waited a split second before both turbos spooled fully.....that was all I needed. I think I may have been going 10-20km/h before full boost, and the car hooked really nicely despite the cool street. In that short period, we were pretty much side by side, but as soon as the turbos spooled, I pulled ahead of him easily. I put it on him good....5-7 cars as near as I could tell in my rearview. Despite me moaning about not enough low-end torque in the Supra, it really helps a ton in street races. Enough power to get rolling, but not enough torque to blow the tires off. My new torque converter REALLY helps in this regard too..helping me to come on boost quicker than my stock converter did. Chalk one up for the Supra. Supra 1, Camaro 0

So we decide to go from a roll now, since we are on the higway. Slowed down to about 70km/h which puts me in 2nd gear. This is the Supra sweet spot. I knew I would walk him bad from a roll. The Supra is deadly in this case!!! Add to the fact I was brake boosting. I knew this would be easy. So we roll beside each other...I'm spooling and into boost while I wait for the 3rd horn beep to go. 3rd beep...and I'm GONE. He didn't even pull on me for an instant..it was just floored and WHOOSH..see ya!! I let off after being several car lengths ahead and pulling like mad. I got off the throttle and coasted. He blasted by me doing his impression of a "ricer fly-by". Car is loud, but had a great V8 rip to it! Supra 2, Camaro 0

He finally slowed, and asked to go again...no problem!! Slowed to around the same speed again..maybe a touch quicker. I told him I'd give him the drop in this race. No horn beeps...just floor it when he was ready and I'd react to him. The Supra is so fast from I roll, I knew this advantage for him would be about...NIL. So I brake boosted and waited....he nails it. I react and before he's even a 1/4 panel ahead, I blast by him. I had forgotten how fast my Supra really is. You know..you drive it and get used to the power so it starts to seem not fast after a bit. These 3 races re-affirmed how fast this thing is (for a BPU+ that is!). He did roll up after the 3rd race and says "You'll smash me from a roll every time!!" I replied "Seems a bit unfair, eh?". He nods, the passenger waves, we exchange a couple of pleasantries and we go our separate ways. Supra 3, Camaro 0.

All in all...plenty of fun done safely. I had been wondering when the first real challenge would be this year. I was actually "jones-ing" for a race for awhile now. So I'm pretty happy with the way things turned out, and can't wait for the next challenge......

By the way, if the Camaro only had an exhaust and intake, what type of HP would he be making?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Good kill but you clearly outpowered the Camaro by a wide margin. An intake/exhaust LS1 stands at about 320rwhp and an intake/exhaust LT1 is perhaps at 250rwhp.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Final generation SS = LS1, not LT1. :) Just fyi

·
Registered
720 Posts
Those LT1s can be made to be sneaky, crazy fast. I had no idea what was under his hood.
Nice kill but the 4th gens have LS1's, and yeah about 320-330 to the wheel with intake and exhaust. If it was cammed he could have been in the mid to upper 300's. Either way nice kill.

·
Function over form
2,465 Posts
i'm cammed with intake and exhaust in an LS6 (basically an LS1) with an auto and put out about 410rwhp when i beat a bpu supra by about a car.

there was no way i was going to race my buddy's single turbo though. it would have been :wavey: for me

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea...after the races I knew I was out-gunning him by a decent margin, so he couln't have been highly modded....

·
1,070 Posts
Nice kill. Those cars can be from mild to crazy. There is a local orange with white stripe SS that I used to beat easily; I'm bpu and he was basically bolt-ons. Well he has since put on a 76 turbo, and now the Supra doesn't seem so fast anymore when he's around.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I had forgotten how fast my Supra really is. You know..you drive it and get used to the power so it starts to seem not fast after a bit. These 3 races re-affirmed how fast this thing is (for a BPU+ that is!).
Nice write-up and good kill! This statement is sooo true! I think the same thing with my Supra until I race someone or catch up and pass someone with ease every so often.

·
Banned
588 Posts
i'm cammed with intake and exhaust in an LS6 (basically an LS1) with an auto and put out about 410rwhp when i beat a bpu supra by about a car.

there was no way i was going to race my buddy's single turbo though. it would have been :wavey: for me
I dynoed at 422rwhp on my BPU. I think we would have a good race. BTW, I think the trans am is the meanest looking car on the road.

·
Lag > Boost
259 Posts
I own a 4th gen Camaro (BTW, 4th gens were both LT1's and LS1's, 93-02), and I have to say nice kill.

Yeah, with just a whisper lid, and exhaust he is running roughly a mid 13 at best. If he was an auto, he would be even slower.

A stock MKIV Supra TT would have been a closer/better race for the Camaro.

What HP are you running in the Supra?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've put down 403RWHP (I'm auto). For this race I had the boost down, so 375 or so..

·
Registered
680 Posts
dont worry. at the end of the day ur goin home in a supra n he's goin home in a one of 10 million camaro

·
Registered
59 Posts
dont worry. at the end of the day ur goin home in a supra n he's goin home in a one of 10 million camaro
sounds like an excuse to me lol jk..

yea camaros have crazy potential and some of the new LSX is capable of 2200hp... any muslce car is nothing to take lightly, they have bin setting records since forever if that is any indication... good kill man

·
JZA80
3,121 Posts
Very nice kill. +1 for the Supra guys! Your Automatic right?

·
Banned
12 Posts
i once let my woman drive an ls1 supra... it was so bad ass that i punched her in the face TWICE!!!

all while riding in the hatch..

fuggin ls1 supras are bad ass!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts