Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to gain about 200 hp or more on the n/a supra and i would like to do it with bpu's if possible. what kinds of bpu's are there, and what are the best ones to buy first (least expensive, biggest hp gain) I dont have the money for a turbo kit right now,and i dont want to use nitrous, so i want to get a lot of power out of bpu's any info that you can share is greatly apreciated, thanks

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
honestly i dont care, ill pass the emissions.. and basicly go crazy.. the odds a cop is going to ask me to pop the hood, and then actualy know what is illeagle and what isnt are like 1/100000

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
VINZE said:
Hahaha.

MkIVSylver you seriously need to learn how to fucking spell man.
im glad you have the time on your hands to critique my spelling, and there is no reason to be hostile. im asking a question to get answers not flames on spelling. i want to add as much hp to the n/a's 220 as possible. so I guess the better question is, what can i do without buying turbo or nitrous

G

·
0 Posts
things that can be done to aid in the power department is this:

*Exhuast, i wouldnt go above 2.5 inch if u plan on using aftermarket headers as u will loose to much low end torque. however what im doing is this, using a three inch cat back exhaust with headers and runnin the stock cat to keep some back pressure on it.

*Intake, theres plenty of debate about this but here is what i recomend. Use a POD and pipping to move the pod as far from the engine and exhasut manifold as u can (so its pushed rite up against the headlight). Then use a professional (or make your own) heat shield to box the POD into a corner, y u r at it use a piece of heat shield to run along the bottom of the intake to stop heat from the exhaust manifold leaking into the cold intake air. Also just behind the headlight there is a plastic cover that covers up a hole that is used for intercooler piping pop that out and throw it away (every little bit of cold air helps), u can even build some piping to help direct flow into your newley made heat shielded box from this hole. Also u may as well leave the standard cold air intake on and build it into your new box.

*EGR, buy an EGR block off kit (pretty cheap but not legal on a car) to stop the exhuast gases from re-entering your intake, wont yield too much power from this but it will increase response from your engine.

*Cam gears, get a set and get them tuned once u have finished modding your baby, if u dont know what they are they let u tune the power band on the your supra, so its best to have them dyno-tuned once your mods are finished (i know its a never endding process though). I recommend getting two, one for the intake side and one for the exhuast. Try this setting as abit of start point if u want -3 degrees on the intake side +1degree on the exhaust side

*Electric Fans, depending on your climate u can easily get a new fan for your raditor that will run off the electircity (i.e alternator) this apparentley frees up a fair amount of power (i havent done this one however), because the engine doesnt have to drive the radiator fan all the time and the alternator outputs enuff to supply an electric one. This principle applys to all the aux systems that run off your fan belt. However you will run into probs with alternator not being able to supply enough current, so either just do your fan belt and maybe water pump or get your alternator re-worked to produce more current.

*SAFC, get one and get it tuned, i have a JDM supra so i dont really need one as the ECU is apparenley different, but other people say they need them on the american based ECU's. And even if it doesnt add power it sure as hell looks nice in the car.

*Racing pulley set, get one of these and install it, engine will rev quicker and making more power i guess.

*I would almost say regaurdless of the age of your supra get the injectors removed and cleaned out also clean out your intake manifold and thottle body as these get dirty as, specially wif POD's u can check how much by disconnecting the hose clamp that attaches the intake to the thottle body and peer inside...YUK!!! Also whiile u have the intake off u could get it ported out this again is debated by people, but i can see anything wrong with it.

*Run premium fuel, not to sure about your american based supras but the JDM ones we have in australia can only run on 98 or higher RON. You can easily notice the difference.

*Stroker, im pretty sure HKS makes a FU(king expensive stroker for the 2JZ, stokes it to 3.2 litres. but its expensive

*Spark plugs, always good to keep them in near new condition also the leades and other stuff and the car in general to.

I cant think of any more, well i can, but i cant be stuffed typing them out. SO hope this helps

Cheers

G

·
0 Posts
not too sure about what exact gains u would get (im getting mine done in about 2 weeks also coating it so its nice shiney, after my exams:D ) i would think about 5-10 horses is probably reasonable i guess, maybe someone reading this who has had it done can help. The idea of porting is to smooth out the inner parts of your intake manifold and allow more air in, becuase they are cast they are prone to the material being rough and not 100% in terms of the design size. Porting lets more air flow smoothly and make a more gentle transition into the engine so i guess its like adding a cold air take in terms of gains. But if its done correctley i guess more air can be supplied into the engine to help make more power.

So all in all im only guessing and maybe wrong, but it cant hurt, every pony helps!

Cheers

1 - 20 of 36 Posts