Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supra Addict Since 1984
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Matt and I finally begin to wrap up the upgrade on my car, we continue to contemplate the need for additional support underneath the manifold. With the weight of the turbo and the downpipe/midpipe/exhaust hanging off the back, it seems like an incredible amount of weight to be supported by the stainless steel manifold. Factoring in the additional stress of that weight being bumped up and down with road travel...

The stock twins have no less than three heavy braces to support their weight. Get this - even Greddy recommended to me - unsolicited - that I look into some sort of a brace even though they do not offer a solution for it.

Have any of you single turbo guys done this? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

John
www.utahracing.com/supras/john.html

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
The RPS manifold comes with a brace, and a flex pipe between the brace and turbo. I don't think I've heard of any failures of the RPS, although I have heard of failures with the GReddy.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
John I contimplated the same thing!!! Being that I had to finish up the project to make it to Houston I didn't check into it further. If you don't mind let me know what you find and I'll do vice versa. Thanks. I know the weight of everything is very heavy, especially that turbo.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
i thought the same thing when i put my t78 kit on...if you figure something out let me know...if you get something fabricated im sure we could get plenty of people to go in on it to make the cost go down.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Personally I feel that bracing only speeds up the cracking process as stainless steel(im assuming its stainless) has a fairly decent expansion rate and if you try to brace it, it limits its ability to naturally expand and contract as it heats and cools...thus cracking...a turbo manifold made of 16 guage stainless will have no problem supporting the weight of a turbo, wastegate and downpipe(about a 100lbs)...just my opinions on the deal...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
turbodg said:
Personally I feel that bracing only speeds up the cracking process as stainless steel(im assuming its stainless) has a fairly decent expansion rate and if you try to brace it, it limits its ability to naturally expand and contract as it heats and cools...thus cracking...a turbo manifold made of 16 guage stainless will have no problem supporting the weight of a turbo, wastegate and downpipe(about a 100lbs)...just my opinions on the deal...
Hence the flex pipe between the brace and header. I agree though, braces w/o flex is suicide for the header.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts