Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting the 11.5 or 9lb battery. Those that own a braille battery, please let me know how long it has lasted and how it compares to other lightweight batteries (e.g, Odyssey PC680 Battery).

I assume the mounting kits on the site are adequate. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a PC680 and have used it for about 4 years(maybe longer). I do have a small float charger that I hook up to the car when I'm not going to drive for along time or over the winter months.

-Jon

·
Registered
373 Posts
The mounting kits work great. I have the 15lb battery and although it works well, you really have to keep it on a tender if you don't drive it once a week or in the winter.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the pc860 and braille 15lber are may $30 apart, but the mounting hardware seems more expensive with the pc860. I care about the weight savings so am looking at the 11 and 9lber

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had the Braille B2015 (15 lb version), and would not recommend it for a street car unless you plan on keeping a charger on it at all times.

Cold temperatures made starting very difficult, and it wouldn't hold a charge for more than a week if I didn't drive the car.

It was very light, but I got sick of having to worry about whether or not my car was going to start or not. If you don't mind staying on top of charging it all the time, then I'd say go for it.

Ben.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
B2015 Carbon Fiber Battery Specs:

* Casing: Carbon Composite Shell & Polymer Plastic
* Weight: 15 lbs
* Length: 6.8
* Width: 3.4
* Height: 6.1
* Pulse Cranking Amps: 1067
* Cranking Amps: 574
* Cold Cranking Amps: 425
* Amp Hour Rating: 21
* Warranty: 1 Year Free Replacement / 2 Year Limited Pro-Rated Extended Coverage
* Battery Type: Sealed Rechargeable Deep-Cycle
* Mounting: Vertical or Horizontal
Includes Automotive Posts
* Shipped with Full Charge ready to install - testing sheet included.

PC 680 Specs:

680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
17 amp hours
Short circuit current over 1800A
25 minute reserve capacity with 25amp load
Female brass terminal w/M6 SS bolt
Length 7 1/16"
Width 2 15/16"
Height 6 9/16"
Weighs less than 14.5 lbs

Odyssey design:

2 year full warranty
Rugged Drycell sealed design
Military grade
Vibration resistant
60% more starting power
Deep discharge reserve power
2 year storage life
8-12 year design life
Can be mounted flat or upright

11.5 Braille option:

B14115 Battery Specs

Casing:� Polymer Plastic

Weight: 11.5 lbs

Length: 5.8

Width: 3.4

Height: 5.8

Pulse Cranking Amps: 904

Cranking Amps: 486

Cold Cranking Amps: 360

Amp Hour Rating: 15

Warranty: 1 Year Free Replacement

Braille Batteries are intended to improve the appearance and performance of your vehicle. By enhancing the quality of the materials of this dry cell battery, Braille is able to increase the electrical performance of a battery. Don�t settle for anything less for your vehicle.

Recommended Uses:

Daily or Race Use in Small to Medium Displacement Motors.

Weekend Track Warriors

Show Vehicles

Custom Cars and Vintage Vehicles � No Acid to Spill protect and enhance your vehicle!

Not Recommended For:

Any vehicle you don�t want to look or perform better!

Customers looking for the ultimate in starting power while still saving weight on a large displacement purpose built machines � check out the B2015 or B3121 Carbon Batteries.

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
I have the 11.5 pound Braille battery and it has been very good. I do leave the negative terminal disconnected but haven't had any issues at all. FYI...I will be selling it if you're looking for this specific model, including the mounting kit, and I have the original receipt, etc. Take care!

·
Boost Junkie
12,692 Posts
I don't have the Braille, but I do have the Odyssey PC680 and have had great luck with it. If the car is going to be left for over a week I put a tender on it. Other then that I don't do anything else.

Steve

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I bought the 11.5 lber and the universal mount kit (rubber) with j-hooks. Anyone find that it doesnt hold down the battery real well?

·
Administrator
17,259 Posts
Those j-hooks don't look very good to me for mounting, but I haven't tried to work with them. With the other mount they make (which I own) I had to stack a few small washers to get the height right, but it ended up being a pretty good and secure fit. Good luck! :)

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
I have had a Braille in my car for over a year now and it still starts the car really good and this was the battery in my car when it went [email protected] on the brakes (short shutdown). Of course I wouldn't dare try to run my stereo system with multiple amps, speakers, etc without the car running as I am sure you can guess why. :)

The main reason I bought the Braille is because it wasn't bright orange, it was light weight and the specs seem to be ok. Overall positive experience with this battery.

Hope that helps.

Take Care

·
Time for change
6,866 Posts
I've had to replace 3 pc680s in my soup, because when I took delivery of the car it magically had a current draw that CANNOT be found... ...

Sometimes the battery will last for a few days, other times a few weeks.

I've ran multimeter on electrical components several times on the car, and cannot find a draw, removing the electric fans and stereo when letting the car sit.

The other day it sat for a week, it dropped the voltages to 1.46 volts.

Once the PC680 drops below a certain current, you cannot ever regain the amp hour capacity... Ever.

·
MONKEY TURBO FTMFW!!!!!
738 Posts
That PC 680 is tiny !! im knd of skeptical about ordering one any more input ?any other models?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been running the Braille 15# battery for the past 4 months on my TT without any starting or charging issues. No big stereo system, I run the stock stereo with an aftermarket head unit. My car is pretty much a daily driver not sitting more than about 3 days at at time.

The car starts up every time and I don't worry about being stranded anywhere. So far, thumbs up for Braille.

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
i have the braille 15 pound on my sti and i have 500watt amp, boost, wb gauges, walbro pump without any problem. i drive my sti twice a week.

definitely would do it again.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts